Subsekt member mix 2018 See page 5

General Chat // Music Discussion
Hades
Shit Eater
Re: Subsekt member mix 2018 See page 5

Post by Hades »

Planar wrote: ...
8 Hades - The Age Of Innocence (Master)
I put this here to show Hades his music can fit halfway through a mix as well (stop the bloody drum fade in's though!). It's Hades, it's exactly what you'd expect; very musical. I looped the sub-bass of the last track quite a way into this one as it did seems a little more weedy compared the very techno track that preceded it and it was a little jarring just fading straight into this track without doing that.
with drum fade in's you mean my kick fading in more slowly ?
because I just went through most of the track again,
and yes, I do tend to give some of my percussion very short fade ins from time to time,
but they are extremely short, so I think it's mostly my kick fade ins at the start of my tracks that might be bothering you most.
I guess it's something with me and not liking abrupt changes.
I like my music to be subtle, and if you bring in a kick at 100% out of nowhere, to me, personally,
at least when it comes to my own music, it feels like you get a fist jammed up your ass till the elbow of the fist owner, so I try to soften the blow, so to say...
but yeah, I can totally understand that being annoying when you're a DJ.
And hell, any DJ that can fit in a Hades track somewhere, deserves eternal credit ! ;)
I would even consider having a secret love child with the cunt !

Nah, seriously : thank you Planar, thank you for every year putting in the time to go through all the tracks, making a selection, going back and forth working and changing the selection,
and then spending even more time to make the mix work as good as it always does.
You are a true subsekt hero ! 8-)
Sin cambios no hay mariposa

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

Planar wrote: 14 Corrosive (Evert) - Accepting The Inevitable
I'm a big fan of Everts work, there's a nice cruncy, marching beat in this one and the pads are nicely melancholic without going too far. Excellent produced track.
ain't he the best though ?
dear subsekt people : listen very carefully, I shall type this more than once :
Evert (Corrosive) is one of our most underrated talents here,
and one of the kindest people I ever met, full stop.

It's only a matter of time before his music gets released on some proper underground techno label.
His stuff is by far some of the most original techno I ever heard from subsekt members.
Proper dirty, gritty stuff, but with lots of atmosphere and soul.

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

Planar wrote: 4 Hanos (Bioniceye) - Glider
I wasn't sure about this for a long time, the bassline and melody are a little naive for my tastes, but at the same time I found it charming. Bioniceye sent me a couple of tracks last year, and to be honest, they probably weren't good enough to include, but this one is much better so I wanted to give an active member some exposure in the mix. This starts a section of tracks that a bit random, but somehow it seems to work, so meh.
I can totally see where you're coming from calling the bass and lead a little naive,
but then I would say naive as in "innocent", but certainly not "dumb", as some might perceive the word. ;)

but yeah, afaik, Bioniceye does not play any kind of instrument, and yet he still puts in a lot more melody than pretty much any other subsekt member I know.
Not saying that always automatically makes it a good track, just saying I like hearing his stuff out here.

Techno is all melody-poverty most of the time, and that whole reverb rumble fashion big room shit sure won't make things better any time soon, so yeah, hearing one of Bioniceye's tracks here (even if they might be more housy or whatever, who the fuck cares about those genres all the time, not me) always puts a smile on my face.
3 cheers to Bioniceye !!! 8-)

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

Planar wrote: 5 Tzukenbauer - TM06
This track is a total cliche, but it's brilliant! The breakdown is so effective. 303 done really well in my opinion, and I could imagine some label out there would love to sign this track. I really screwed up the mix into this one- sorry!
totally agree it's a great track and cheers to you for including it.
I always think of Tzukenbauer as this guy who somewhere, somehow got stuck into 2005 or something.
Like, he makes this kind of minimal housy techno kind of stuff,
but it just always works so well (just like the first wave of minimal worked just sooooo perfect,
and then it got soooooo boring)

but yeah, tzukenbauer bring me back to all the good stuff about minimal, except he doesn't go that full-blown up-in-your-face way that minimal started to go more and more back in the day 8-)

zukenbauer
You only live once

Post by zukenbauer »

Thanks for kind words guys, it really made me smile!

@Hades - its not first time youre telling me this about minimal stuff but i just dont get it haha,, i never listened to that kind of music actually so i dont even know any track i could compare to this haha

@Planar - i think i send you 2 tracks this time and to be honest, wasnt expecting this one to be picked but im glad it did hehe, thanks again!

ZenoSupreme
arsehole

Post by ZenoSupreme »

Nice mix, had it on, on the background, did enjoy it a lot! Props to the producers and off course the DJ :)

Evert
who is it?

Post by Evert »

@Hades: Haha, you're too kind.

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

Planar wrote: 6 Shidzo - Malou
Another one I wasn't sure about. The melody is erring on the side of trance for my tastes (is that trendy again now?), and the kick seemed to have a weird transient in the mix. There's a noise in this track, a little delayed stab thing that really reminds me of the Man with no name remix of Schoneberg by Marmion.
You didn't hear a lot of those big name techno DJ's are playing out old trance records again ?
Me, personally, I grew up in Belgium during the golden trance years,
when trance was a lot darker and closer to techno, so I don't mind that stuff at all,
but it's always a thin line between cheese and taste when it comes to these kind of lead sounds and melodies.
I know Shidzo wasn't that happy at first when I said his stuff sounded rather trancy,
till I showed him some of the older tracks I consider to be proper trance,
and he was like "hell, yeah, if that's trance, I'm happy to be making tracy stuff" :D

I think if he finds a middle way between combining trancy elements with more darker techno,
it will sound great if he hangs in there and keeps getting better with each track.

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

Planar wrote: 9 Vo0doo-animism
This is brilliant, exactly the kind of track I used to play all the time in my active DJ days. Dubby, a bit druggy and a great groove.
agreed this is a great groove.
Vo0doo makes some great tracks.
Another very underrated subsekt producer.

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

zukenbauer wrote: @Hades - its not first time youre telling me this about minimal stuff but i just dont get it haha,, i never listened to that kind of music actually so i dont even know any track i could compare to this haha
!
most of the synth sounds you use and the style of melodic patterns you come up with sound very much like the height of the good minimal era.
And that's not an insult at all, but a big compliment !

willemb
Mild

Post by willemb »

Listening now, great work Planar and all those that got their tracks in there!

Jordan: I notice you got some political vocals in there which you were considering to do ages ago!

Goals: Make a tune this year, get in next years mix!

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

willemb wrote:Goals: Make a tune this year, get in next years mix!
1 tune a year ?
honestly, don't set such totally unrealistic goals for yourself !
willemb wrote: Jordan: I notice you got some political vocals in there which you were considering to do ages ago!
!
he already got political ages ago !
You didn't notice the deep 'n dark message in his track of last years mix ? :)

willemb
Mild

Post by willemb »

I've been missing in (studio) action. I haven't noticed anything.

I hooked up my gear for the first time in 2 years last week.

1 tune in a year is better than 0 tunes in over 2 years!

intrusav
Rolf Harris

Post by intrusav »

Cool, just checking this mix now and enjoying it so far.
Missed the link going up but fair play to Planar for getting this going and putting it all together.
Props to those of you who contributed too, the suspekts on subsekt ..

bioniceye
clueless

Post by bioniceye »

bump
can we make this a sticky
would be nice for planar and the others involved

Planar
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Planar »

It should replace the 2017 sticky really. I think only Crioch and Brenda(?) have the power to do stickies, I don't seem to.