General Chat // Music Discussion
Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt
Re: Netflix tips

Post by Lost to the Void »

I'm watching Happy!

It's super awesome.
Based on a Grant Morrison comic with Morrisons direct input to the production, it really translates the insanity of a good Morrison comic to the screen.

Christopher Meloni, in the role of a lifetime, plays a deeply unhinged degenerate disgraced cop turned hit man (called nick sax), who one day sees a talking, flying blue unicorn called Happy! (Voiced by Patton Oswald)
Happy! attempts to guide the degenerate, alcoholic, borderline insane Sax into solving the crime of a kidnapped child at Christmas.

Meloni is just wonderful as the increasingly more fucked up Sax, and the story careens around from brutal real world grit to halucinogenic madness to slapstick comedy.

Quite unique TV.
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

jordanneke
subsekt
subsekt

Post by jordanneke »

Don't listen to any of Steve's tips.

He's like a dealer peddling meth.

Next thing you know you haven't washed, slept or worked. Just binge-watched.

jordanneke
subsekt
subsekt

Post by jordanneke »

Ps - If you haven't watched the expanse yet. Fucking do it.

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

I see the expanse happening pretty much every day when I look down,
don't need no netflix for that shit
Sin cambios no hay mariposa

tsaro
Lifer

Post by tsaro »

Hades, I think your expanse is probably a bit less applicable for most uses intended for this topic (I know, phrasing, to stay on topic) , I'd rather watch the series tbh :P

Happy was pretty enjoyable, though it became a bit predictable at times but if you don't think about it too much it's a nice one to binge watch. Not really comparable to anything really, and when I read the synopsis I thought it would suck balls but I'm glad I gave it a try.

Ash vs Evil is also good for some mindless fun, the recent season 3 is the weakest one imo, though at the end it still delivers.
how far do you want to go

Ben Kohonays
Quaint

Post by Ben Kohonays »

Flint Town was interesting. Shows the town of Flint, Michigan (which I believe was the subject of Michael Moore's 'Roger And Me') and the struggles of the local police force to maintain order whilst battling staggering bureaucratic bullshit.
With a population of 100k and one of the highest crime rates per capita, some nights they have only four officers on duty. They only have 96 officers in total, down from 300 a few years ago.

Wormwood was good - about the suicide (murder?) of a guy involved in MK Ultra back in the 60's.

Command And Control is another good one, about the Titan nuclear missile disaster in 1980. The amount of retards and psychopaths in positions they really shouldn't be in never ceases to amaze me.
0dd wrote: Gotta love the subsekt derail ethic.

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

vo0doo wrote:Hades, I think your expanse is probably a bit less applicable for most uses intended for this topic (I know, phrasing, to stay on topic) , I'd rather watch the series tbh :P
I know Jordan has a similar expansion problem !
(and surely, we're not alone)

jordanneke
subsekt
subsekt

Post by jordanneke »

Hades wrote:
vo0doo wrote:Hades, I think your expanse is probably a bit less applicable for most uses intended for this topic (I know, phrasing, to stay on topic) , I'd rather watch the series tbh :P

Ha ha, 'The expanse'. I'm working hard to limit the effects of the middle age spread.

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

I'm not, and it's nothing short of a miracle it's effects haven't grown bigger considering my life style

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

Hades wrote:next one I just started watching yesterday : The Alienist

Perverted serial killer in London circa 1895.
Dark, twisted, trippy... and just straight down into the utter filth that they all had to deal with back then...

It's not up there at the same level of True Detective,
(1st season of course, who in their possibly right minds would ever even consider taking the 2nd season serious... :? :shock: :shock: )
but it does make me think it's a little like the Victorian version of True Detective, just a little...
gotta correct myself, it's not in London but in New York.
Almost done with the series, and it just gets better and better.

very highly recommended !

0dd
Get in the back of the van

Post by 0dd »

Don't know if it's been mentioned or if it's on netflix, but I liked Elementary a lot. Modern, ex junkie version of Sherlock Holmes. Quite some mindfucks in it and Watson is a sexy bitch :)
"After silence that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music". Aldous Huxley

mainst09
Traits

Post by mainst09 »

its always sunny in philadelphia is always a great recommendation, probably the best comedy tv show ive ever seen.
Voices From Cindy's Cunt

tsaro
Lifer

Post by tsaro »

jordanneke wrote:
Hades wrote:

Ha ha, 'The expanse'. I'm working hard to limit the effects of the middle age spread.
Ah so it's about that type of expanse, I was thinking about something else down there that tends to expand every now and again, in which case working to make it disappear would also be much more fun.

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

vo0doo wrote: Ah so it's about that type of expanse, I was thinking about something else down there that tends to expand every now and again, in which case working to make it disappear would also be much more fun.
yeah, I figured that much...
I was referring to the expanse that is always there

obviously you're not old enough,
but there is hope yet, cause you'll get there soon enough...
Beer is your friend and eternal inspiration !

tsaro
Lifer

Post by tsaro »

Well, I'm almost 36 now, so I think I qualify :lol: The past few years my weight has been creeping up, but since I work out regular(ish)ly it's not been getting too much out of hand. And I was lucky enough to contract a pretty agressive flu strain at the start of the year, which helped me lose almost all of the extra ballast I was carrying around. It also helps that I've been spending most of my free time on a large renovation project the past few months (which for now consists of building walls and then applying old school chalk based plaster, which is pretty heavy, especially when you got to do 500m2 of it), which apparently helps it stay off for now.

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

ow yeah, nothing better to stay in shape than to renovate your home...
my extra weight only started to pile up when my renovation works were mostly finished.

ozias_leduc
ANAL

Post by ozias_leduc »

i started watching the expanse. i don't know why, i thought the (first) book was a bit shit.

it seems OK. not exactly A grade

currently taking a detour to start the new series of handmaid's tale which IS A grade (but sadly not on netflix)

"take your pills" was an interesting doco on pharmaceutical amphetamines

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

ozias_leduc wrote:
"take your pills" was an interesting doco on pharmaceutical amphetamines
was that the one on aderal??
fucking hilarious how all an athlete needs in the US is a prescription from some doctor and he can do sports on amphetamines all the time, and he'll pass every test as long as he got that prescription

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Lost to the Void »

mainst09 wrote:its always sunny in philadelphia is always a great recommendation, probably the best comedy tv show ive ever seen.
Been a fan of that show since it started.

So much goodness.

Charlie and Frank should get their own show.
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

Monreal
You only live once

Post by Monreal »

I hope Dennis won't leave the show. I love his anger outbursts.

http://i.imgur.com/DsfKEZG.mp4