It is currently Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:06 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]





Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 303 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next
  Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Things I hate
PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:33 pm 
Offline
Unfriended
User avatar

Joined: Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:12 am
Posts: 35
TimBuys wrote:
When I'm on a dry streak and use the Instagram explore option.


is there a word for the equivalent of food envy for when you meet your girlfriends mates/see them on instagram?

_________________
https://soundcloud.com/death_becoming


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Things I hate
PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:10 am 
Offline
happy bastard
User avatar

Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2016 8:19 pm
Posts: 434
lauren wrote:
TimBuys wrote:
When I'm on a dry streak and use the Instagram explore option.


is there a word for the equivalent of food envy for when you meet your girlfriends mates/see them on instagram?


I've read this sentence about five times now and still don't get what you're trying to say :oops:.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Things I hate
PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:28 am 
Offline
Interchangeable
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2012 4:02 am
Posts: 8981
TimBuys wrote:
lauren wrote:
TimBuys wrote:
When I'm on a dry streak and use the Instagram explore option.


is there a word for the equivalent of food envy for when you meet your girlfriends mates/see them on instagram?


I've read this sentence about five times now and still don't get what you're trying to say :oops:.


You need to make your mind less narrow !
:D

_________________
If you can't laugh with yourself, someone else should do it for you ! ;)



Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Things I hate
PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:06 pm 
Offline
Unfriended
User avatar

Joined: Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:12 am
Posts: 35
TimBuys wrote:
lauren wrote:
TimBuys wrote:
When I'm on a dry streak and use the Instagram explore option.


is there a word for the equivalent of food envy for when you meet your girlfriends mates/see them on instagram?


I've read this sentence about five times now and still don't get what you're trying to say :oops:.


:lol: like hades said, less narrow

_________________
https://soundcloud.com/death_becoming


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Things I hate
PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:41 pm 
Offline
decent
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 16, 2014 6:10 am
Posts: 326
lauren wrote:
TimBuys wrote:
When I'm on a dry streak and use the Instagram explore option.


is there a word for the equivalent of food envy for when you meet your girlfriends mates/see them on instagram?

are you saying your birds a munter?
sounds to me that you are a bit of a lookist.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Things I hate
PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:16 pm 
Offline
Unfriended
User avatar

Joined: Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:12 am
Posts: 35
winston wrote:
lauren wrote:
TimBuys wrote:
When I'm on a dry streak and use the Instagram explore option.


is there a word for the equivalent of food envy for when you meet your girlfriends mates/see them on instagram?

are you saying your birds a munter?
sounds to me that you are a bit of a lookist.


nah my birds not a munter lmao she just knows im a right slag

_________________
https://soundcloud.com/death_becoming


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Things I hate
PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:13 pm 
Offline
Interchangeable
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2012 4:02 am
Posts: 8981
what would I be without you guys ?
It's obvious that simple English won't do,
so you guys make me look up all them really, really, really difficult words that constantly confuse my mind.

Take "slag" for example...
3 different explanations :

Quote:
1. An individual who cares not for relationships beyond the realm of the sexual, these people sleep with many partners not caring about anything save for the moment of climax.

2. Rubbish that is not worth the time or effort of paying attention to it, but none the less draws one in. Used to describe unpleasent situations.

3. Physical trash, often scrap metals.


Surely, you must mean you're pieces of scrap metals,
or might you just be an unpleasant situation all together ? :idea:

_________________
If you can't laugh with yourself, someone else should do it for you ! ;)



Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Things I hate
PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:35 pm 
Offline
Unfriended
User avatar

Joined: Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:12 am
Posts: 35
Hades wrote:
Surely, you must mean you're pieces of scrap metals,
or might you just be an unpleasant situation all together ? :idea:


i'm so industrial techno i have become rusted metal.

nothing unpleasant about my situation, all is well and i would never hurt anyone like that. we're both clear about our present tenses with each other. it just can cause a bit of anxiety and stress when sometimes you don't believe people understand your motives no matter how clear you are with them. anyway, enough deep stuff - i hate the price of a drink in london. it can fuck off and die

_________________
https://soundcloud.com/death_becoming


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Things I hate
PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 12:51 am 
Offline
broke

Joined: Mon Jun 12, 2017 6:07 am
Posts: 30
Location: Helsinki, Finland
Hades wrote:
what would I be without you guys ?
It's obvious that simple English won't do,
so you guys make me look up all them really, really, really difficult words that constantly confuse my mind.

Take "slag" for example...

I encountered that word for the first time when Aphex Twin's ...I Care Because You Do came out: the album has a track named Come On You Slags! In 1995 the web was in its commercial infancy; Google, Google Translate, Merriam-Webster or Wiktionary didn't exist; research meant perusing libraries for books therein, the assistance of librarians and the knowledge of specialists. At 21 I was fluent enough in English - the British variant, mind you - but slag wasn't part of my vocabulary. As luck would have it I had a friend who was British, a language teacher and fluent in a myriad of languages, including Welsh, all Scandinavian (Danish, Norwegian, Swedish) and various European languages, so I received a thorough explanation on the etymology and colloquial British English meaning of the word: (informal, slang, derogatory, chiefly British) a lewd or promiscuous woman; a contemptible or insignificant person.

The first (and only) time I've used that phrase was later that year when I was DJing at a small club in Helsinki. I had the last slot of the evening, so I finished my set, packed up and prepared to leave. The last two punters in the place were Scottish blokes, pished and holding pints, so I shouted "come on you slags, closing time!" They went mute, stared at me for about five heartbeats, then burst out laughing, pints sloshing. The heftier one (probably) called me "a wide wee cunt" (I didn't understand that until I read Irvine Welsh), downed the pints and kept on laughing on their way out.

I've since concluded that language fluency requires understanding not only the meaning of colloquial and idiomatic words and phrases - slang and dialects - but also the how, when, why and with whom they're appropriate to use. I love finding out things like that, especially obscure, weird and etymologically fascinating (e.g. fornix -> fornicate).

But I digress.

_________________
STRENGTH THROUGH PURITYPURITY THROUGH TECHNOTECHNO THROUGH VINYLSoundCloudDiscogs


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Things I hate
PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 3:13 am 
Offline
Interchangeable
User avatar

Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2012 1:31 pm
Posts: 9152
Big hate of mine.

A new emergence of uttertwats who label their music "no computer involved"
Or "hardware only"

As if it makes their mediocre shite shine brighter.

Fucking twats.

Been getting sent demos labelled as such.

Insta-delete. Who gives a fuck what it was made on, that won't sway me to think it is good or not. Fucking human knob cheddar.

_________________
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
Next Release


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Things I hate
PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 4:06 am 
Offline
broke

Joined: Mon Jun 12, 2017 6:07 am
Posts: 30
Location: Helsinki, Finland
Lost to the Void wrote:
A new emergence of uttertwats who label their music "no computer involved"
Or "hardware only"

Fetishization of technological reductionism producing delusions of illusory authenticity invalidated the instant anything is recorded and copied for distribution in any format.

Wankers.

_________________
STRENGTH THROUGH PURITYPURITY THROUGH TECHNOTECHNO THROUGH VINYLSoundCloudDiscogs


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Things I hate
PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 9:15 am 
Offline
All The Money You've Spent!

Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:05 pm
Posts: 3083
Location: Leeds
Lost to the Void wrote:
Insta-delete. Who gives a fuck what it was made on, that won't sway me to think it is good or not. Fucking human knob cheddar.


Can we add presenting your track as a youtube video just because it was done on hardware? Who fucking cares.

_________________


Archive of all my mixes HERE


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Things I hate
PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 9:16 am 
Offline
All The Money You've Spent!

Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:05 pm
Posts: 3083
Location: Leeds
dcom wrote:
Fetishization of technological reductionism producing delusions of illusory authenticity invalidated the instant anything is recorded and copied for distribution in any format.


Image

_________________


Archive of all my mixes HERE


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Things I hate
PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 12:17 pm 
Offline
broke

Joined: Mon Jun 12, 2017 6:07 am
Posts: 30
Location: Helsinki, Finland
Planar wrote:
dcom wrote:
Fetishization of technological reductionism producing delusions of illusory authenticity invalidated the instant anything is recorded and copied for distribution in any format.

U WOT MATE

I have a sense of humour so completely detached from what the rest of humanity finds funny. That was supposed to be absolutely ridiculous, not a brain malfunction - there is a point, but it's intentionally so convoluted that it's just absurd. I apologise.

_________________
STRENGTH THROUGH PURITYPURITY THROUGH TECHNOTECHNO THROUGH VINYLSoundCloudDiscogs


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Things I hate
PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 12:49 pm 
Offline
unsure
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jul 14, 2013 1:10 pm
Posts: 395
Yeah, I get the humour. Valid point too, unless of course you bring your whole hardware setup and place it on a hardware table in the hardware office of a hardware label and hit play on your hardware sequencer so that the hardware A&R man can give you some hardware approval and then get it recorded...on a computer ..


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Things I hate
PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 2:41 pm 
Offline
Interchangeable
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2012 4:02 am
Posts: 8981
dcom wrote:
I encountered that word for the first time when Aphex Twin's ...I Care Because You Do came out: the album has a track named Come On You Slags! In 1995 the web was in its commercial infancy; Google, Google Translate, Merriam-Webster or Wiktionary didn't exist; research meant perusing libraries for books therein, the assistance of librarians and the knowledge of specialists. At 21 I was fluent enough in English - the British variant, mind you - but slag wasn't part of my vocabulary. As luck would have it I had a friend who was British, a language teacher and fluent in a myriad of languages, including Welsh, all Scandinavian (Danish, Norwegian, Swedish) and various European languages, so I received a thorough explanation on the etymology and colloquial British English meaning of the word: (informal, slang, derogatory, chiefly British) a lewd or promiscuous woman; a contemptible or insignificant person.

The first (and only) time I've used that phrase was later that year when I was DJing at a small club in Helsinki. I had the last slot of the evening, so I finished my set, packed up and prepared to leave. The last two punters in the place were Scottish blokes, pished and holding pints, so I shouted "come on you slags, closing time!" They went mute, stared at me for about five heartbeats, then burst out laughing, pints sloshing. The heftier one (probably) called me "a wide wee cunt" (I didn't understand that until I read Irvine Welsh), downed the pints and kept on laughing on their way out.

I've since concluded that language fluency requires understanding not only the meaning of colloquial and idiomatic words and phrases - slang and dialects - but also the how, when, why and with whom they're appropriate to use. I love finding out things like that, especially obscure, weird and etymologically fascinating (e.g. fornix -> fornicate).
.


First time I had to meet the friends of my German mrs, must have been in '99 or something,
I knew almost no German at all, so I was pretty nervous and told her
"hey, so what do I do if there's someone laughing with me cause I don't understand anything they're saying??
Can't you teach me some swear words so I can at least say something to them in that case ?"
So she taught me about 5 or 6 slang words with lovely dirty meaning.
To test the slang words, and because you know I like my humor seriously wrong,
I shook hands with all of them when I arrived, while calling each of them a different word.
There's nothing like a first impression...

Also, when I think of slang words, I'm always reminded of a children's cookie that got sold here in Belgium during the 90's.
It was in the shape of some kind of dwarf, with chocolate on one side.
The people were stupid enough to call it "spunk", not realizing that was also an English slang word for sperm.
A children's cookie named "sperm", how hilarious can it get ?? :lol:

_________________
If you can't laugh with yourself, someone else should do it for you ! ;)



Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Things I hate
PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 2:43 pm 
Offline
All The Money You've Spent!

Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:05 pm
Posts: 3083
Location: Leeds
dcom wrote:
Planar wrote:
dcom wrote:
Fetishization of technological reductionism producing delusions of illusory authenticity invalidated the instant anything is recorded and copied for distribution in any format.

U WOT MATE

I have a sense of humour so completely detached from what the rest of humanity finds funny. That was supposed to be absolutely ridiculous, not a brain malfunction - there is a point, but it's intentionally so convoluted that it's just absurd. I apologise.


I got it, mate, ending with wanker made it completely clear. I just like that picture and was looking for an excuse to use it, it sums up these Brexit times nicely. Wankers everywhere.

_________________


Archive of all my mixes HERE


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Things I hate
PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 2:45 pm 
Offline
All The Money You've Spent!

Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:05 pm
Posts: 3083
Location: Leeds
Hades wrote:
what would I be without you guys ?
It's obvious that simple English won't do,
so you guys make me look up all them really, really, really difficult words that constantly confuse my mind.

Take "slag" for example...
3 different explanations :

Quote:
1. An individual who cares not for relationships beyond the realm of the sexual, these people sleep with many partners not caring about anything save for the moment of climax.

2. Rubbish that is not worth the time or effort of paying attention to it, but none the less draws one in. Used to describe unpleasent situations.

3. Physical trash, often scrap metals.


Surely, you must mean you're pieces of scrap metals,
or might you just be an unpleasant situation all together ? :idea:


I don't think any of those definitions are what 'slag' actually is, though. I think it's a by-product of steel production. Don't quote me on that, there's no fucking way I'm googling it.

_________________


Archive of all my mixes HERE


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Things I hate
PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 2:50 pm 
Offline
Interchangeable
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2012 4:02 am
Posts: 8981
Planar wrote:
Lost to the Void wrote:
Insta-delete. Who gives a fuck what it was made on, that won't sway me to think it is good or not. Fucking human knob cheddar.


Can we add presenting your track as a youtube video just because it was done on hardware? Who fucking cares.


I once had a certain Costa Rican guy here who (afaik) still prides himself he doesn't use a computer...
He took quite a few pics when he was here in my studio and then used those as profile pics as if it was his studio.
I had to ask him to remove them.

I really think it's totally potetic if people take selfies in someone else's studio,
and use them to give the impression they're in their own studio... :roll:

_________________
If you can't laugh with yourself, someone else should do it for you ! ;)



Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Things I hate
PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 2:51 pm 
Offline
Interchangeable
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2012 4:02 am
Posts: 8981
Planar wrote:

I don't think any of those definitions are what 'slag' actually is, though. I think it's a by-product of steel production. Don't quote me on that, there's no fucking way I'm googling it.


I just used one of the 1st urban dictionaries I could find that I thought was quite funny.
Not gonna google it again either. :D

_________________
If you can't laugh with yourself, someone else should do it for you ! ;)



Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 303 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  



Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
skymiles v1.1 designed by CodeMiles Team -TemplatesDragon-.