how hard is it to put on a show where you live?

General Chat // Music Discussion
terly
arsehole
how hard is it to put on a show where you live?

Post by terly »

It seems kind of easy where I live to connect with a venue and do a show or a party. I even connected with a 360-capacity, multi-room venue that you could theoretically run all night (the police never really come to this place, as it's usually reserved for rowdy weddings) for only $775 to rent

not to mention that most bars are eager to work with people on electronic music events now if they will be successful. Problem is, no one really wants a dark techno night with like 3 dudes observing the DJs and no real party, so you have to be a bit more flexible with genres and whatnot

anyone do this kind of thing? I know Lost to the Void used to lots, back when people were much less open to electronic music in traditional venues. That is changing now. Many places used not allow "raves" - by any name. Nowadays bar owners are hungry for DJs, there actually aren't enough good DJs to satisfy the demand so even I am getting gigs at "edm" nights (sometimes they complain about my set though - "do you have anything with words?") - in my city anyway

On the other hand crowds are often thin unless the party is somehow "special" - there are so many generic EDM nights that it is oversaturated and the entire scene is probably less than a couple thousand people, so there are some unfortunate, underattended nights on the regular.

sorry for this boring, self-affirming block of text, I just had to get it out somewhere

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt
Re: how hard is it to put on a show where you live?

Post by Lost to the Void »

It's kinda hard in london. All the techno parties are the same, same artists, same names, whoever is hot or old standards. No variety, sometimes 3 rooms of similar techno in one event.
Rents are super high in London so clubs want you to hit the ground running which makes promoters risk averse.
I'm kinda sick of it and there is nothing interesting going onso I am just now organising something different and interesting. I've even gotten back in touch with my old soundsystem partner and we are threatening each other to do proper illegal.
But I am thinking something semi legal and different. Thematically consistent but not just the same fucking techno bashing and droning on all night, more of a variety, not even necessarily techno but just stuff that shares asthetic.
We'll see what happens.
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

victer
Pig

Post by victer »

I'm doing this with a few mates in brussels. It's not difficult to organize events but most of the time, privatizing a space is very expensive and if we do a collab with the people running the place we usually a have to give in a dj spot or two for resident "dj's" who often happen to play tech house on a controller but have follows on facebook... So yeah, not really satisfying because we'd like to push differrent kind of events where it's all about synergies between artforms and genres rather than all night techno strobe rave, wich is what everyone else does....
But many places are not ready to take such risks.

Best parties we had were with other crew from the squat scene. Some of those crews have access to huge warehouse or places and don't get bothered too much by the police if they do it right.
so basically, unless you have money semi or illegal is better if you're not ready to compromise with people who just want to sell alcohol.
facebook.com/bepulsed

[wesellboxes]
Q33 NY

Post by [wesellboxes] »

Here's an semi-interesting read about promoting parties that's probably of no surprise to anyone - https://www.residentadvisor.net/features/2908

I have a friend in London that runs a 300 capacity house event that he's bringing to a close after 6 years, citing much the same issues as mentioned in this article - he can't book DJ's because they're on an exclusivity clause or they want a festival fee. The flip side is whenever he's booked a unknown newcomer or dragged an old Detroit head out of retirement, he's lost the most money due to numbers. And he has a very, clued up and loyal crowd, not just kids who want the RA flavours of the month.

My take on things, based on some of the best nights of my life, are private parties may be the way forward. 50-100 invited people in a house, function suite or basement. Make sure party supplies are on hand and there's no need for security. Granted, the sound may be shabby and there's no budget to book a DJ but it's far from difficult to find 3-4 mates that can rock a party, regardless genre. Do it with a semblance of regularity and it's not to difficult to get a little bit of a scene going.

Plyphon
endless

Post by Plyphon »

Voidloss have you ever worked with Elecktrowertz? They put on a lot of fetish nights and shit there, but never really anything I've seen from a proper techno front. I reckon that would be a dope venue that would be happy to work with promotors.

jordanneke
subsekt
subsekt

Post by jordanneke »

I'm not one for nostalgia and the old 'In my day...'

But let's face it. Clubland in the UK is dying if not dead already. The rents have meant that the weekly club night is pretty much dead, aside from a few big clubs. More so in towns outside of London.

All the 'top draw' dj's now command more money than most promoters can handle, and the idea that you can make money from resident dj's sounds laughable.

The shift to large sized 'Awakenings' style events/festivals has also dealt a deathly hand to clubs.

Back in my day.... you couldn't believe the dj's you'd get to see on a weekly basis in any club in Birmingham, big name house, techno at Jam, surgeon and co at subway city... all for a tenner week in week out. All that is gone. A quick glance at RA confirms this. There are only 5 clubs listed for a Saturday night! That's for the WHOLE of the midlands, not just Birmingham.

Either it's all back underground, which I doubt, or it's a new phase, like when disco died and house replaced it, which I also doubt. It's dead and won't return as all the spaces have physically gone.

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Man, I've known mac and the other owners at electrowerkz for..... over 20 years. I was a regular at slimelight in the 90's (longest running and most famous goth and industrial club in da world) and was plugged in to that scene. So yeah, but they have their pressures now. Kaos does a good night there that mixes techno ebm industrial n shit. I met Kareem from Zhark there a couple months back, and Huren is playing there this month, and we are gonna meet up. I'm am going to talk to them as Kareem wants to do a Zhark event in London and I thought it would go down well there. So I'll find out the full deal soon. I still prefer the idea of hiring a warehouse from an amenable landlord and doing semi legal. That way we can bring in our own sound and lights. We have 100k of Void Incubus, whilst we won't use all of it, I want at least 30k for a party.
New Shit

1nfinitezer0
Tiesto

Post by 1nfinitezer0 »

Venues are a perennial problem. I don't think that's ever going to change.

But I've also seen the changes you all describe here in Montreal. I'm hoping that this is all a symptom of the EDM popularity. And, if that's truly the case, that it will fade over time and give us back an underground culture with people who care about the vibe and community as much as the music - and in the sense that they will also trust promoters with their bookings, even if they don't know the names. Cuz frankly, a tiny fraction of people can be bothered to do their homework, and promo is hard.

I wasn't privy to see how the electronica boom of the 90s affected rave and what that looked like in the end, but I'm wondering how much the EDM wave will be compared to that in a historical sense. I feel like we've already seen it infiltrate pop the same way electronica did. There was even mention here of how lofi house & techno are a knee-jerk reaction to the feel inherent to EDM. The massively produced events don't seem to be slowing in scope appreciably, but it's only a matter of time until the majority of the current festival generation burns out and leaves behind only those who truly give a shit about more than getting wasted.

Inflation, a shit economy all-round and the low bar to entry for DJs perhaps isn't helping either.

over9000
Nor Crystal Tears

Post by over9000 »

we do illegal psytrance parties in the woods like 4 times a year.
Its not really big, maybe 200 to 300 people, but its always fun :)
other then that theres not much venues here in zürich, where proper techno is played. theres some comercial clubs for tech house /deep house but i rarely go there. But theres a really small club where alot of experimental electronic of the harder/darker kind is going down. That would be something for you to come and play actually voidloss!
and theres a big squat, with a concert room, where raves are held, but not very often, as most people from the squat dont like techno and are a bit negative about it..

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

1nfinitezer0 wrote:Venues are a perennial problem. I don't think that's ever going to change.

But I've also seen the changes you all describe here in Montreal. I'm hoping that this is all a symptom of the EDM popularity. And, if that's truly the case, that it will fade over time and give us back an underground culture with people who care about the vibe and community as much as the music - and in the sense that they will also trust promoters with their bookings, even if they don't know the names. Cuz frankly, a tiny fraction of people can be bothered to do their homework, and promo is hard.

I wasn't privy to see how the electronica boom of the 90s affected rave and what that looked like in the end, but I'm wondering how much the EDM wave will be compared to that in a historical sense. I feel like we've already seen it infiltrate pop the same way electronica did. There was even mention here of how lofi house & techno are a knee-jerk reaction to the feel inherent to EDM. The massively produced events don't seem to be slowing in scope appreciably, but it's only a matter of time until the majority of the current festival generation burns out and leaves behind only those who truly give a shit about more than getting wasted.

Inflation, a shit economy all-round and the low bar to entry for DJs perhaps isn't helping either.
Montreal used to have an amazing underground scene, I went out and played for DJ Indica (sweatleaf productions) years back, around when the underground scene was coming to an end. Spoke to him recently and he despairs for Montreal, himself doing sound work for big commercial things now.
It`s a shame, the french side of things brought a nice anarchic spirit.
New Shit

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

over9000 wrote:we do illegal psytrance parties in the woods like 4 times a year.
Its not really big, maybe 200 to 300 people, but its always fun :)
other then that theres not much venues here in zürich, where proper techno is played. theres some comercial clubs for tech house /deep house but i rarely go there. But theres a really small club where alot of experimental electronic of the harder/darker kind is going down. That would be something for you to come and play actually voidloss!
and theres a big squat, with a concert room, where raves are held, but not very often, as most people from the squat dont like techno and are a bit negative about it..
Interesting, let me know about the club and I`ll get in touch.
I`ll only play Germany if it`s not Berlin.
I did a gig for a punk/squat collective last year In Oberhausen, west germnay, where they have their own venue that the government has basically let them keep as they have been there for 20 years. It was such an awesome gig. Very special.
New Shit

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Oh wait, Zurich. Switzerland, very interesting. Yeah let me know where. I played out in Lausanne years ago for a gig done by the Church of Satan, of all people... It was a blast.
New Shit

Root
BANNED

Post by Root »

It's getting harder these days, but we have a well connected scene here in frankfurt, germany. As a collective we're doing partys around the city, like in the woods, old houses or even in some clubs. Especially the ones that have an eye for underground scene and that are open to let you do partynights, when you come and bring a nice concept. Sure, you have to be in the game and have to have a name, that's known in the city, but if, then there are options. Then there is the quarter around the main station here, where a lot of gentrification is going on - what's bad for the people living there. But it makes that there are a lot of old shops and stripbars, where one can organize partys from time to time. So there are some offlocation possibilities as well.. But as said, it's getting harder, the city wants the city to be snobbish and on top of trade rivalry. The scene here is working against this development, so there is a lot to do..
:geek:

Plyphon
endless

Post by Plyphon »

That's cool Voidloss, I live real close to Electrowertz and see some real interesting looking chaps going in (and coming out at 8am) to that place, I keep looking for a night there that might be a touch more approachable for someone not into EBM as I'd like to check it out inside.

On another note, Phonox in Brixton is doing a great job keeping the lineups coming through but keeping the cost down. It's never more than £10 advanced I think. Some great lineups, tends to be more house than techno but they do put on a lot of techno also. Great club also.

But they also have the backing of a big "conglomerate" of clubs/spaces behind them, so it's easier to do.

over9000
Nor Crystal Tears

Post by over9000 »

yeah void heres the site https://radar.squat.net/de/zurich/umbo
they also have a website in the darknet, but it doesent seem to be working right now.
Ill get in contact with them and see whats possible with dates etc.

berto999
Unfriended

Post by berto999 »

Glasgows got a pretty strong scene, it's a small city though with only a handful of suitable clubs so it's nearly impossible to put on a night that isn't clashing with another one.

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Plyphon wrote:That's cool Voidloss, I live real close to Electrowertz and see some real interesting looking chaps going in (and coming out at 8am) to that place, I keep looking for a night there that might be a touch more approachable for someone not into EBM as I'd like to check it out inside.

On another note, Phonox in Brixton is doing a great job keeping the lineups coming through but keeping the cost down. It's never more than £10 advanced I think. Some great lineups, tends to be more house than techno but they do put on a lot of techno also. Great club also.

But they also have the backing of a big "conglomerate" of clubs/spaces behind them, so it's easier to do.
Come to the next Kaos. Huren is playing. I'll buy you a beer.
New Shit

Revaron
reverse genius

Post by Revaron »

jordanneke wrote:I'm not one for nostalgia and the old 'In my day...'

But let's face it. Clubland in the UK is dying if not dead already. The rents have meant that the weekly club night is pretty much dead, aside from a few big clubs. More so in towns outside of London.

All the 'top draw' dj's now command more money than most promoters can handle, and the idea that you can make money from resident dj's sounds laughable.

The shift to large sized 'Awakenings' style events/festivals has also dealt a deathly hand to clubs.

Back in my day.... you couldn't believe the dj's you'd get to see on a weekly basis in any club in Birmingham, big name house, techno at Jam, surgeon and co at subway city... all for a tenner week in week out. All that is gone. A quick glance at RA confirms this. There are only 5 clubs listed for a Saturday night! That's for the WHOLE of the midlands, not just Birmingham.

Either it's all back underground, which I doubt, or it's a new phase, like when disco died and house replaced it, which I also doubt. It's dead and won't return as all the spaces have physically gone.
Agreed on brum - scenewise it is a faint shadow of its former self. Still get some good stuff happening, but definitely not weekly, and not attracting anything like the numbers of those halcyon days when the Jam sold out the Que every time and HOG was packed out every fortnight.

BUT - Manchester is fucking having it every single weekend, has been for ages - there's weekends when there's 2 or 3 good things on with quality acts, and they seem to all get reasonable support. Much better selection, variety, etc, than whats going down in London as far as I can tell, and the crowds are always up for it, very little of the facebooking on the dancefloor, tourist, there to be seen kind of bullshit - in my experience at least.

[wesellboxes]
Q33 NY

Post by [wesellboxes] »

berto999 wrote:Glasgows got a pretty strong scene, it's a small city though with only a handful of suitable clubs so it's nearly impossible to put on a night that isn't clashing with another one.
Could be worse, you could be in Edinburgh where DJ's demand saunas.

Innersection
Interact. Don't Spam.

Post by Innersection »

Here in Sao Paulo/Brazil is not that hard to put a show, but u need to be good at your job, i mean better than the average, then you will be found somehow...
The scene is getting bigger here, specially for techno in the last years, in the past i couldn't imagine that the scene would get that proportions, nowadays we have even big festivals coming like DGTL and Dekmantel, and also awesome underground parties like Tantsa, ODD, Carlos Capslock, Mamba Negra, Vampire Haus and others...
Its a great time to live here!