Fed up with Beatport and Bandcamp so I've made Artcore.

General Chat // Music Discussion
orbita
broke
Fed up with Beatport and Bandcamp so I've made Artcore.

Post by orbita »

Hi,

After being frustrated with the existing download sites, I decided to built a new platform that combines the best of Bandcamp and Beatport with an improved user interface, tools for DJs and more comprehensive features for labels.

I've got an exciting roadmap of features to add too.

If you are a label or self releasing artist then now is the time to join up and get a great discount on the revenue share.

If you have any questions please ask!

Join up at www.artcore.com

willemb
Mild
Re: Fed up with Beatport and Bandcamp so I've made Artcore.

Post by willemb »

what problems does bandcamp have that artcore resolves or does differently?

orbita
broke

Post by orbita »

Hi, yes a variety of things.

As a user (buyer) of both sites I’ve found both lacking in terms of discovering the music I like, navigating, filtering, previewing, purchasing. I felt I could do something better and this is the start of that. I feel both have stagnated and I have lots of ideas to improve on it, some are already implemented.

For example, despite buying mainly techno on bandcamp, it constantly shows me folk music and other things I have no interest in and there are no controls to manage it. Artcore has filters that can tailor the site to what you like.

I also find it hard to preview back catalogs and buy music on bandcamp and find myself opening hundreds of tabs. Artcore UI is designed to help you preview and navigate much quicker. It also has DJ friendly features like multiple carts.

From the artist/label point of view, Artcore is a marketplace similar to Bandcamp. Artists and labels set their own prices and have full control of their profile and releasing. Artcore takes between 1% and 20% depending on discounts applied. The artist/seller gets the rest . any paypal fees.

So in a way it's like Bandcamp business model with a Beatport style UX (but faster and better for discovery)

Artcore also supports optional payment splits between labels and artists (and remixers) and also between members of a group/band. You just allocate a % to the artist and it will be directed to them.

This comparison table gives more details

And you can signup to take a deeper look yourself.

Please feel free to ask about anything else or if you would like me to elaborate on any point.

Thanks!

willemb
Mild

Post by willemb »

I've avoided beatport as much as possible, only a couple of times used it to buy exclusive releases. (Mostly because beatport is more expensive, and also because their recommendation and charts are absolute rubbish).

I havent even tried to browse bandcamp to discover new music, because you are right, it will suggest folk music when i have no interest in it. I also open many tabs when using bandcamp, and it can be quite confusing.

I will have a look and check it out

orbita
broke

Post by orbita »

willemb wrote:
Mon Jan 02, 2023 3:52 pm
I've avoided beatport as much as possible, only a couple of times used it to buy exclusive releases. (Mostly because beatport is more expensive, and also because their recommendation and charts are absolute rubbish).

I havent even tried to browse bandcamp to discover new music, because you are right, it will suggest folk music when i have no interest in it. I also open many tabs when using bandcamp, and it can be quite confusing.

Cool - let me know what you think. It's not perfect yet by any means but I hope it's already an improvement in a few ways. I'm taking all feedback on board and i'm not overly offended so feel free to be blunt about anything you don't like!

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Lost to the Void »

Way way back when beatport was starting, I was discussing with a coding friend on setting up a online shop that was curated like a real record shop. So instead of johnny crack copy of fruity loops uploading 50 tunes he made that week, there would be a sort of A&R process for releases/labels.

I`d still like to see something like that.
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

orbita
broke

Post by orbita »

Lost to the Void wrote:
Mon Jan 02, 2023 7:54 pm
Way way back when beatport was starting, I was discussing with a coding friend on setting up a online shop that was curated like a real record shop. So instead of johnny crack copy of fruity loops uploading 50 tunes he made that week, there would be a sort of A&R process for releases/labels.

I`d still like to see something like that.
Yes interesting. I guess a record shop inherently has a space limitation which forces them to make a choice in that way but it means the shop is either an indie record store or the dance record store or the commercial one and it can only have a small selection at any one time.

Online, there is not such a limit in that way so the nearest equivalents becomes the label pages, the playlist of someone you trust or the 'staff picks'.

I guess what's really important is what get's bubbled up to the top of your view. When you arrive at the site, what do you see. On Bandcamp it seems to be a very wide but interesting selection. On Beatport, it's the Top 10, and I cant see how that is useful to anyone.

I'm going to aim for something different. I'd like to find a way to surface the music you'd actually like to find through a mix of customisation and personalisation tools.

Ben Kohonays
Eclipsed

Post by Ben Kohonays »

Judging by that comparison table, this looks promising.
0dd wrote: Gotta love the subsekt derail ethic.

orbita
broke

Post by orbita »

willemb wrote:
Mon Jan 02, 2023 3:52 pm

I see you have signed up and published an EP so welcome onboard!

timc3
Back Bling

Post by timc3 »

Sounds like a good initiative!

I have signed up - but you probably know that already ;-)

BTW, you need to have a proper cookie message, privacy policy and all the rest of it that goes along with GDPR and CCPA. Particularly with the trackers and stuff you have on the website.

timc3
Back Bling

Post by timc3 »

Ok I found one when I actually signed in, but I think you also need it when you haven't signed in - as you take email addresses.

Anyway, is there a way to set a password instead of using the sign in code each time?

orbita
broke

Post by orbita »

timc3 wrote:
Mon Jan 09, 2023 5:43 pm
Sounds like a good initiative!

I have signed up - but you probably know that already ;-)

BTW, you need to have a proper cookie message, privacy policy and all the rest of it that goes along with GDPR and CCPA. Particularly with the trackers and stuff you have on the website.
Hi!

Yes, the existing cookie system was temporary and a more substantial and up-to-date one has just gone live on the site. I've also now made the footer links available from the temporary welcome/splash screen - thanks for pointing that out.

Have you had a chance to look around the rest of the site?

Cheers, Tom

orbita
broke

Post by orbita »

timc3 wrote:
Mon Jan 09, 2023 5:51 pm
Ok I found one when I actually signed in, but I think you also need it when you haven't signed in - as you take email addresses.

Anyway, is there a way to set a password instead of using the sign in code each time?
There is no way to use a password at the moment.
I might add in the future but passwordless is more secure generally.

Is should keep you logged in though. Or are you logging out intentionally?

orbita
broke

Post by orbita »

Ben Kohonays wrote:
Tue Jan 03, 2023 4:21 pm
Thanks - hope to have you on board. Have you had a look yet?

Ben Kohonays
Eclipsed

Post by Ben Kohonays »

orbita wrote:
Sat Jan 14, 2023 4:10 pm
Ben Kohonays wrote:
Tue Jan 03, 2023 4:21 pm
Thanks - hope to have you on board. Have you had a look yet?
I've not had chance to give it a proper check over, no.
0dd wrote: Gotta love the subsekt derail ethic.

timc3
Back Bling

Post by timc3 »

orbita wrote:
Sat Jan 14, 2023 2:39 pm
timc3 wrote:
Mon Jan 09, 2023 5:51 pm

There is no way to use a password at the moment.
I might add in the future but passwordless is more secure generally.

Is should keep you logged in though. Or are you logging out intentionally?
"passwordless is more secure" - well I would say multi-factor auth with hardware tokens is the most secure ;)

But yeah, I don't stay logged into things forever - have to clear browser cache sometimes for development purposes.

orbita
broke

Post by orbita »

Hi,
Just to let you know. Artcore went live a few days ago so encourage you to go check it out and let us know what you think!

https://artcore.com

Cheers!

subvers^v
hunger marcher

Post by subvers^v »

Nothing on there about who/where you are?
Just saying, it all seems very anonymous...

orbita
broke

Post by orbita »

subvers^v wrote:
Thu Feb 23, 2023 2:39 pm
Nothing on there about who/where you are?
Just saying, it all seems very anonymous...
Hi, Thanks -
It mentions where we're based on the T+C page but yes I appreciate it's a bit out of the way and there's not much more than that.

So I'll see if I can add a bit more and make it more visible. what kind of information would be of interest?

orchard
quasi-public

Post by orchard »

Maybe some of the stuff in the OP ^ ?
Just a bit of background. Reassure people your intentions are legit.