Polar Inertia Gear

General Chat // Music Discussion
TomasHD
slipper
Polar Inertia Gear

Post by TomasHD »

I read this interesting article on XLR8R about the gear involved in polar inertia's records and made think how this kind of artists are pushing techno into another level by developing a very well structured sound as well as unique. They really know their thing.
Actually not many artists in the techno scene impress me (I am not an expert, though), But I ve always valued musicianship and that's quite difficult to find these days.

What do you think about these kind of "conceptual artists" and this gear specifically.

https://www.xlr8r.com/front-page/2017/0 ... r-inertia/

youtu.be/6UBrPUjelbg

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt
Re: Polar Inertia Gear

Post by Lost to the Void »

I don't see them as pushing techno to another level.
Just more guys making Rrose-ish washy Berlin stuff, not unique, I could surf hardwax and find similar stuff pretty easily.
It's quite nice but hardly radical, if there is a concept behind what they do it doesn't show up in the music.
Unless the concept is washy reverby Berlin style techno.
I mean, I'm not dissing the music, it's fine, nothing special we haven't heard before.

As for the gear, sure, it makes noises and they use those noises to make coherent techno, so.... Erm. It works?
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

collide
Smore

Post by collide »

I love Polar Inertia and I think they have a unique and detailed sound.
But I don't think they are pushing the boundaries.

Would be happy to hear an LP from them.

TomasHD
slipper

Post by TomasHD »

The thing is that this days is difficult to find authentic sound designers, artists who spend time crafting their sound. In my opinion it is really difficult to make long tracks and keep them interesting, as also creating soundscapes with machines that somehow communicate something. (I ve certain fascination with electronic music that is connected to a concept, like some musicians in other genres with art, literature, history, etc.
I guess that i perceive that in polar inertia as well in other artists, for example the northern electronics crew with the scandinavian culture or even black metal.

rktic
Utter Cunt

Post by rktic »

What is the take-away from that article? It's a description of gear they like and use. Without going into any details. What a missed opportunity - I like reading about others approaches and thoughts.

Alume
Confetti

Post by Alume »

2 first PI records are classics imo and those were certainly pushing my boundries back when they came out.

After that they didnt quite seem to get the collab working as it use to.

Alume
Confetti

Post by Alume »

Very true Ronny, what good is it to know what brush they use if its not said how it is used.

Den Bosch
brown envelope

Post by Den Bosch »

Well fuck, I've spent hours and hours searching blogs, reading interviews and zooming into live setup pictures trying to find out how these guys do it. Been trying for a good while to recreate their sound. And now they just drop a studio essentials... This is a good day. Too bad it's all a bit superficial still, but hey it's a start. Not to promote the whole "get the gear and you'll get their sound" debate of course, just wondering if there were any oddballs in there.

Absolutely love their sound, and much of the other dement3d/northern electronics releases. Got to see them live once and they were banging. Knew about rrose already when I discovered Polar Inertia, but it still was a revelation to me that this music existed. Just one of those things that allow you to peel away another layer of the techno onion and see what's underneath.

Just a heads up: Xlr8r is also doing an "Ask the Experts" session with Shifted soon, very interesting to see what he reveals there.

SFBM
&roid

Post by SFBM »

Den Bosch wrote:Well fuck, I've spent hours and hours searching blogs, reading interviews and zooming into live setup pictures trying to find out how these guys do it. Been trying for a good while to recreate their sound. And now they just drop a studio essentials... This is a good day. Too bad it's all a bit superficial still, but hey it's a start. Not to promote the whole "get the gear and you'll get their sound" debate of course, just wondering if there were any oddballs in there.

Absolutely love their sound, and much of the other dement3d/northern electronics releases. Got to see them live once and they were banging. Knew about rrose already when I discovered Polar Inertia, but it still was a revelation to me that this music existed. Just one of those things that allow you to peel away another layer of the techno onion and see what's underneath.

Just a heads up: Xlr8r is also doing an "Ask the Experts" session with Shifted soon, very interesting to see what he reveals there.
Oh awesome! Shifted is one of my favourite producers, and I've always been sussing out his instagram account and his gear setup to see what he uses (and a lot of his setup is how I model mine to be like, too) - so can't wait to read that one and see how he does it all. Cheers for the heads up :)

berto999
Unfriended

Post by berto999 »

rktic wrote:What is the take-away from that article? It's a description of gear they like and use. Without going into any details. What a missed opportunity - I like reading about others approaches and thoughts.

I agree! I'm a big Polar Inertia fan would have loved something a bit more in depth.

dubdub
Asphyxiwank

Post by dubdub »

Alume wrote:2 first PI records are classics imo and those were certainly pushing my boundries back when they came out.

After that they didnt quite seem to get the collab working as it use to.
I don't know, their first two releases were nice and certainly did that sound better than most but it's not like banging atmospheric techno was new at the time.

Mattias
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Mattias »

Just another example of what matters for readers / wannabe-artists: what gear they have not how it's used. Boo
Music Page: http://www.facebook.com/Mattias.Fridell.Music
Soundcloud: http://soundcloud.com/fridell
Sample packs: http://mfsamples.bandcamp.com

Contention / 005

TomasHD
slipper

Post by TomasHD »

I am just interested in the gear as i am interested in their music, nothing wrong with it. Its just a reference.

Of course I would love if they showed how they use their instruments. Its good to see how the music is made,
For example some famous metal guitarists playing their riffs in youtube or the against the clock videos gives you a good idea somehow.

Mattias
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Mattias »

TomasHD wrote:I am just interested in the gear as i am interested in their music, nothing wrong with it. Its just a reference.

Of course I would love if they showed how they use their instruments. Its good to see how the music is made,
For example some famous metal guitarists playing their riffs in youtube or the against the clock videos gives you a good idea somehow.
Sure, my post was not aimed to you or anyone in specific around here just the general public who want short cuts to everything reading about what gear others have without understanding it's how it's used etc.
Music Page: http://www.facebook.com/Mattias.Fridell.Music
Soundcloud: http://soundcloud.com/fridell
Sample packs: http://mfsamples.bandcamp.com

Contention / 005

collide
Smore

Post by collide »

Den Bosch wrote: Just a heads up: Xlr8r is also doing an "Ask the Experts" session with Shifted soon, very interesting to see what he reveals there.
The stuff he has done on Mote-Evolver and early Avian is perfect imo.
Details, layers, ideas. Just awesome.

I'm a serious Shifted devotee.

WOLF!
Grand

Post by WOLF! »

Very lame article. Sums up some gear but that's it.
That's the problem with most articles; mostly boner time if you like gear facts but zero about production skills or tips.

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Well the lesson to be learned is, you can make music with anything.
New Shit

WOLF!
Grand

Post by WOLF! »

Even on a Digitwat??? :D

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Sure, if you must. It's better than cancer I suppose.
New Shit

Monreal
You only live once

Post by Monreal »

WOLF! wrote:Very lame article. Sums up some gear but that's it.
That's the problem with most articles; mostly boner time if you like gear facts but zero about production skills or tips.
It's a very lame series indeed. It's for casual reading I suppose.

Subsekt sweetheart Varg has one too:

https://www.xlr8r.com/front-page/2017/0 ... ials-varg/