Can't produce on Prozac

General Chat // Music Discussion
Pelecaras
Lifer
Can't produce on Prozac

Post by Pelecaras »

As I have stated on this forum before, I have a mental illness that can be pretty debilitating at times.
For years I was on a certain type of medication that kept the darkness away but didn't stop me being unhappy.....and even though the music I was making was terrible I never felt un-creative.

Recently I have changed my meds to Prozac and my moods are greatly improved but, (as Brian discovered in 'spaced') being happy is seriously detrimental to creativity.
I just can't seem to so much as even string a kick and bass pattern together, I have zero inspiration. It's driving me nuts (no pun intended)

Anyone else had/have similar experience?
FUCK-WIT

Huck Farper
Alf Garnett
Re: Can't produce on Prozac

Post by Huck Farper »

I understand completely where you are coming from. I really feel my best work has been done when I've been in my darkest periods. The problem I hear with anti-depressants in general is they smooth things out.. no real highs, no real lows.... to an artist, these are the states we feel most creative.

How recently did you start the new medication?

I hope it is just an adjustment period for you.

Stace
Classical Approach

Post by Stace »

Oh my God, I am totally the same but with Mirtazapine. I just am not arsed about anything. I have never not been arsed about making music. I don't like it at all :(

I don't know how to get round this. I am woefully apathetic about everything. I lost my IEM's at Dubai airport and I replaced them in the hope that it would encourage me to make something, I am just not bothered. I think I am more bothered about not being bothered. I can't explain :(

rktic
Utter Cunt

Post by rktic »

That sounds like a nightmare - huuuugs!

[wesellboxes]
Q33 NY

Post by [wesellboxes] »

I really don’t want to make light of all your issues because mental health is something that really isn’t supported enough and I’ve had episodes of unexplainable despondency myself.

However, one thing that stuck me was an interview with Steve Cobby, an extremely prolific producer, who said something along the lines of “I don’t believe there’s such thing as a creative block. You don’t hear about plumbers block or mechanics block”.

Now he was talking about a creative block, rather than a deliberating illness, but the point I guess he was trying to make is approach music from a “blue collar” mindset and a job that simply has to get done. Replace the lack of emotion with logic and drive.

And that’s not phoning it in either, Fila Brazillia made 11 LP’s in total and regardless whether you’re a fan of the genre, they’re polished bodies of work.

Alternatively, set yourself smaller tasks or exercises with limitations. Graphic designers and artists don’t start with a blank canvas or photoshop file, they carry notebooks, sketch, take endless photos either on their phone or with an SLR.

The audio equivalent of that would be, I’m going to do 10 x 8 bar loops, all the same bpm, 8 tracks total, 4 Porc and 4 bass, pads, lead and FX. And then even think about binning the results and view similar to how an athlete trains.

Best of luck.

Stace
Classical Approach

Post by Stace »

[wesellboxes], from my perspective, it isn't about a block, there is nothing to block.

I know where you are coming from but if I can't make music based on some kind of emotion, then there is no point in me making music at all. I am devoid of emotion.

terly
arsehole

Post by terly »

I am bipolar and heavily medicated (paliperidone) and I am in a blocked time right now but I think it's mainly to do with having a new computer set up without any music software on it yet. I'll get the old one back out soon to finish up some releases.

One of the great things about techno is that it doesn't require emotion, although of course it can elicit emotion. There was a time at a mainstream bar I was playing for some reason where someone said my music was "creepy" - then again, it was a sleeparchive track with a low pass filter on.

g3_d9
Unfriended

Post by g3_d9 »

emotion.
do.
do not.
push.
pull.
relativity.
hope.
strength.
emotion.
"The sad thing about artificial intelligence is that it lacks artifice and therefore intelligence" -
Jean Baudrillard.

Pelecaras
Lifer

Post by Pelecaras »

StacieAnne wrote:Oh my God, I am totally the same but with Mirtazapine. I just am not arsed about anything. I have never not been arsed about making music. I don't like it at all :(

I don't know how to get round this. I am woefully apathetic about everything. I lost my IEM's at Dubai airport and I replaced them in the hope that it would encourage me to make something, I am just not bothered. I think I am more bothered about not being bothered. I can't explain :(
that's exactly how i feel mate, I am so down about not having the will to do anything, i feel like I'm in an emotionless void that if i don't get out of soon I will fall further and further.

here's to you and your fight my friend.
FUCK-WIT

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Lost to the Void »

Bunch a slack jawed faggots the lot of ya (predator reference, take it easy SJW`s)

I have bipolar and just ride the waves man, nothing like crippling darkness to get the good music out of you.
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

Pelecaras
Lifer

Post by Pelecaras »

Lost to the Void wrote:Bunch a slack jawed faggots the lot of ya (predator reference, take it easy SJW`s)

I have bipolar and just ride the waves man, nothing like crippling darkness to get the good music out of you.
"This stuff'll make you a god-damn sexual tyrannosaurus.....just like me"
Great (underrated) movie!!

That's just my point though dude, when I had dark periods I was productive, now with the Prozac I'm level and don't feel any inclination to do anything. I need to recalibrate myself.

I almost yearn for the darkness to return but that's not safe. Huge dilemma man.
FUCK-WIT

Pelecaras
Lifer

Post by Pelecaras »

Lost to the Void wrote:Bunch a slack jawed faggots the lot of ya (predator reference, take it easy SJW`s)
Speaking of SJWs, SQUATTING SLAV TV is my favourite YT channel for watching them snowflakes get wound up!!!!
FUCK-WIT

Pelecaras
Lifer

Post by Pelecaras »

Huck Farper wrote:I understand completely where you are coming from. I really feel my best work has been done when I've been in my darkest periods. The problem I hear with anti-depressants in general is they smooth things out.. no real highs, no real lows.... to an artist, these are the states we feel most creative.

How recently did you start the new medication?

I hope it is just an adjustment period for you.
Been on the Prozac for about 6 weeks so it really could just be an adjustment period dude....hope so.
Was on Imipramine for 20 years before that and though it took the edge off I still had dark periods where I felt the most creative in my entire life.
FUCK-WIT

Pelecaras
Lifer

Post by Pelecaras »

StacieAnne wrote:[wesellboxes], from my perspective, it isn't about a block, there is nothing to block.

I know where you are coming from but if I can't make music based on some kind of emotion, then there is no point in me making music at all. I am devoid of emotion.

This!
FUCK-WIT

tsaro
Lifer

Post by tsaro »

I'm also on mirtazapine (have been for a couple of years now) due to insomnia and depression. It does make you a bit numb/distant/absent minded, or whatever you want to call it but it was the only option I could find that works to live a normal(ish) life. And it beats the shit out of not being able to sleep even though you're tired, and then when you finally do fall asleep you wake up within 2 hours time still tired as shit while you're wide awake again.

And when you've gone without sleep for more than a week you mind will really start to fuck with you, I guess it could be fun if you weren't completely exhausted at the same time.

It still isn't a cure, tried lots of different meds but with this one at least it falls back to somewhat acceptable levels.
how far do you want to go

jordanneke
subsekt
subsekt

Post by jordanneke »

Mate, I dunno.

As much as I know depression is absolutely debilitating, which if not treated, may end up in a permanent solution, which sucks for everyone. Correct me if I'm wrong (please).

I'm guessing that the issue isn't really about producing (I'm quick aren't I).

Isn't it better having muted feelings, rather than a permanent and all encompassing darkness?

Alume
Confetti

Post by Alume »

My deepest sympathies my friend, as a stranger I'd say; It is better to feel something, be it darkness, than nothing at all?

Naturally, I dont know the magnitude of your problem, its just a thought I was thinking.
Last edited by Alume on Thu Jun 29, 2017 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Pelecaras wrote:

"This stuff'll make you a god-damn sexual tyrannosaurus.....just like me"
Great (underrated) movie!!

That's just my point though dude, when I had dark periods I was productive, now with the Prozac I'm level and don't feel any inclination to do anything. I need to recalibrate myself.

I almost yearn for the darkness to return but that's not safe. Huge dilemma man.
Yeah I know a lot of people who have said the same about antidepressants.
It`s why I won`t take em, I think therapy and meditation are much better solutions to depression.

But I`m not absolutely sure I want to be fully free of my condition anyway, though I should definitely meditate more, I kinda lapsed from my meditation practice towards the end of last year and I went dark.
Lesson learned.
New Shit

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Pelecaras wrote:
Speaking of SJWs, SQUATTING SLAV TV is my favourite YT channel for watching them snowflakes get wound up!!!!
Jesus, he really sets off triggers that guy.
New Shit

Alume
Confetti

Post by Alume »

Good call on the spiritual solutions Steve. Slipped my mind to mention.

Id like to add, if meditation is to intense at first or all together you can try other, more physical forms of meditation like yoga.

Ill try to add some more ideas later. On my phone and short of time atm:)