Creating and Growing a Social Media Presence

General Chat // Music Discussion
Hades
Shit Eater
Re: Creating and Growing a Social Media Presence

Post by Hades »

to OP :

I really am totally with Ronny and Steve and a few others on this.
But for what it's worth...

I only use SC (apart from the maybe 2x I made a FB post when I had a new track).
First thing I can think of is an extremely simple trick I saw being used by some folks who I didn't expect to be using tricks like that :
you start following a lot of people, if possible : producers rather than just music lovers, but both will do.
For some strange reason, people seem to think it's an act of courtesy to hit that "follow back" button.
Then, a month or two later, you can just stop following them, while you're still continuously following other people.
I've literally seen people raise their SC followers go up from say 200 or 300 to 2000 or more in just a matter of months.
Me personally, I never start following someone out of "courtesy" or whatever.
(I only did that once for 1 person, and I still felt totally dumb for doing so)
I think it's just bullshit. I only hit that follow button when I really like someone's work or when I at least have 1 track where I said "wow".
I prefer to actually check out almost every track from most new people that walk into subsekt (and do the effort to introduce themselves) or that I stumble upon and where I like his/her music. I think that's a lot more sincere than if I would hit that follow button all the time.

Following people just because you hope they'll follow you back is fake as fuck, but it works !
I doubt these followers will be worth a lot, but hey, if you want to up your numbers...

Second thing I noticed that might help a bit, though not a lot, is the hour you put up a new track. If you post something during the weekend or around lunch hour, you'll have a bigger chance of people listening to it than if you post it somewhere during normal working hours or at 3AM. Won't make a huge difference, but might help a little bit.
Sin cambios no hay mariposa

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

though mind you, I some times wonder how much of that like shit is really a proof of anything.

A few months ago I uploaded a track and had like 15 likes in half an hour though I only had 8 plays.
So how the fuck does that work ? People just click on like without even listening to enough of the track or what ?
pfff, talk about superficial idiots... :?
Sin cambios no hay mariposa

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Lost to the Void »

That's like farms. They will randomly like stuff so that it makes it less likely that SoundCloud catches them clicking paid likes. It is estimated that something like 50 or 60 percent of likes are fake. SoundCloud basically will do nothing for you, it's been this way for years. It is again just somewhere that you can keep your fan base informed, and nothing more
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.