Extreme volume in clubs

General Chat // Music Discussion
dubdub
Asphyxiwank
Re: Extreme volume in clubs

Post by dubdub »

The sound at tresor has somehow just gotten gradually worse over the past five years. Not sure what system they used to have but it was alright, nothing great but passable. Then they installed a Void audio system some years ago which I suppose is better on paper but it's set up terribly, just too fucking upfront for the space. Now I can't spent more than 5 minutes down there, even with ear plugs, the high mids just kill you.

The sound upstairs at globus is pretty good though, really nice bass. The highs can be a bit too harsh sometimes though.

I think the legal limit is 115db here in germany. What kind of volume is too much really depends on the space, 100db actually wouldn't be enough for Berghain if it's packed. You can push around 105-108db there and it will still be comfortable. I have a feeling a lot of DJs are just fucking deaf (and blind, since the db-meter says 'play 108!') though, I once saw Function play at 118db! there.

Mattias
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Mattias »

Yeah I heard they messed up setting up that Void system over at Tresor also. Dunno why the hell club owners doesn't bother to get competent people to fix their rigs these days
Music Page: http://www.facebook.com/Mattias.Fridell.Music
Soundcloud: http://soundcloud.com/fridell
Sample packs: http://mfsamples.bandcamp.com

Contention / 005

dubdub
Asphyxiwank

Post by dubdub »

The funniest thing was seeing all these FB-posts from DJs like "new system at tresor is sounding much better!". No, it fucking doesn't, you just like it better because it's louder. They've made numerous adjustments over the past two or three years to try and fix it but it's just been getting worse. Now it's so harsh that if i'm at Tresor, it's only for Globus, I don't even bother going down there anymore because it feels like someones assaulting my ears.

There are actually several clubs here where they installed new systems which were a step down from what was there previously. On a positive note though, they installed a new system at Panoramabar like a month or two ago and it actually sounds better, less harsh in the highs and mids and more focussed and less warbly bass.

victer
Pig

Post by victer »

Had the same impression in Kompass the only time I went. It is too bad cause the venue is gorgeous.
facebook.com/bepulsed

rktic
Utter Cunt

Post by rktic »

I'd let the folks running the club know about your experience so they've get a chance to act upon it.

P0607r0n
Metric Martyr

Post by P0607r0n »

It's nice when in the most part of the room the sound is evenly spread, equalized and then it's your choice if you want to "eat the bass" or "hi-pass" by just changing your spot in the venue.