Creating and Growing a Social Media Presence

General Chat // Music Discussion
PatrickHughes
Exampleless
Creating and Growing a Social Media Presence

Post by PatrickHughes »

Anyone have any advice on creating and growing a social media presence? Right now all I have is a soundcloud with a relatively small number of followers and I'm thinking the next step is to get a facebook page and possibly twitter as well going to put myself out there more and be more professional. Just wondering what tips/experience people have for setting these up and growing your follower base?

dubdub
Asphyxiwank
Re: Creating and Growing a Social Media Presence

Post by dubdub »

I see these kind of questions on Reddit all the time and it's fucking ridiculous. People that have been making music for six months trying to 'grow a fanbase'. You have 87 followers on Soundcloud dude. Why are you spending time thinking about managing your social media presence? It's just wasted energy. If you put out quality music, people will come by themselves. It's that simple. If you really want to play the cutthroat career game, just buy some fucking followers like so many other people.

Sorry for being so upfront but this kind of stuff just boggles my mind. 98% of us amateur producers don't make music that's actually fucking good enough to warrant having a 'fanbase' and 'managing a social media' presence. Who the fuck for? Our own ego? It certainly ain't the five people actually listening to our crap. I mean, I'm obviously happy if more people take the time to listen to what I put out there but worrying about how to grow your social media numbers is just silly.

PatrickHughes
Exampleless

Post by PatrickHughes »

dubdub wrote:I see these kind of questions on Reddit all the time and it's fucking ridiculous. People that have been making music for six months trying to 'grow a fanbase'. You have 87 followers on Soundcloud dude. Why are you spending time thinking about managing your social media presence? It's just wasted energy. If you put out quality music, people will come by themselves. It's that simple. If you really want to play the cutthroat career game, just buy some fucking followers like so many other people.

Sorry for being so upfront but this kind of stuff just boggles my mind. 98% of us amateur producers don't make music that's actually fucking good enough to warrant having a 'fanbase' and 'managing a social media' presence. Who the fuck for? Our own ego? It certainly ain't the five people actually listening to our crap. I mean, I'm obviously happy if more people take the time to listen to what I put out there but worrying about how to grow your social media numbers is just silly.
Well obviously with that kind of attitude you definitely won't gain any sort of popularity. If you're fine with enjoying making music on your own and have no ambition of ever making anything of it that's great for you, but getting indignant because other people have ambition and set goals to actually do something more with our music than just posting it to soundcloud and be glad 20 people listened to their latest song is pretty ridiculous.

The just make good music and you'll be famous advice is obvious crap, think of how many good producers you know who still only have a small following. The music industry is a business first and foremost and marketing yourself is a critical part of taking the step out of your bedroom. Obviously word of mouth and in person connections are critical to this but it is 100% undeniable that to be successful today in the music industry you must have a significant social media presence. Pick any big name artist and every one of them is active across multiple platforms on a daily basis.

Social media is not only important for growing fans but even just getting your latest demo you send in signed is very much impacted on your follower base. A&R reps look at more than just how great your demo sounds, they want artists who will bring loyal fans along with them to help guarantee a successful release. It's pretty straight forward that having more fans will increase the likelihood of your demo being listened to and you getting your track signed. Promoters do this as well and if you want to get booked for live shows to dj having more real genuine followers will help you land a higher number and larger gigs.

I just figured it would be beneficial to have a genuine conversation to discuss methods people use to promote themselves that's all...

Alume
Confetti

Post by Alume »

Pop quality track on a regular basis, thats all tbh.

rktic
Utter Cunt

Post by rktic »

PatrickHughes wrote:Well obviously with that kind of attitude you definitely won't gain any sort of popularity.
The good sir, if that's your motivation to make music, here are my two honest and heartfelt words for you: fuck off.

(I'll gladly extend my thoughts on the matter upon request.)

terryfalafel
Component

Post by terryfalafel »

Yeah, some typically subsekty fierce replies here, but this is such a sad question to be asking. Just sums up the vacuous, shallow tripe that small music scenes have become since the Internet.

I do understand the motivation for your question Patrick, but except for one tangential reference to your music when you mention you have a SoundCloud page, doesn't it tell you something that you didn't deem it necessary to write anything about the music you make as part of your post?

dubdub
Asphyxiwank

Post by dubdub »

Look, even if you're trying to 'get big'. you're doing it wrong. I'm from Berlin, I know a lot of 'industry people' here, I know how the game works. The fact is, this is a completely over-saturated scene. How do you suceed in an over-satured scene? By making something that people want (unique, great music) and not making yourself too available. Basic psychology. Most of these guys that are big/hyped now? They didn't start out spamming people on their social media, they released the right records on the right labels at the right time and didn't overexpose themselves. The guys that are releasing 10 records a year and spamming everyone with twenty social media accounts? Those are the guys that are struggling, the guys that are desperate. Why are you already trying to spam people if you're still lacking the key ingredient, the music? Like honestly, your stuff is pretty good technically for Subsekt standards but outside of here, it's not going to make anyone listen twice. You are thinking way to far ahead. I've had some opportunities to potentially release stuff on vinyl but I've always said no because I know my stuff isn't good enough yet, I just don't see the point of releasing anything people are going to forget in a week.

And no, I don't know any criminally underrated incredible producers, it does happen but it's the absolute exception. Obviously there are people that should be more well known but that's because they aren't making the hot/mainstream sound of the minute, not because they aren't promoted enough. There's only so many people that care about purist oldschool electro.

TimBuys
happy bastard

Post by TimBuys »

Dubdub, basically what you're saying is "do what everyone else is doing". How about people actually stay true to themselves and don't try to conform to the notion that as a techno artist you should be this or that. Personally, I'm a bit bored with techno artist that decide to release a track and just put the name of the track in a Facebook post even if it's an average release. I like to connect with the people I'm listening to in some way. I would say try to stay true to yourself and don't be scared to show a little bit of personality on Facebook. Also there are A TON of incredibly underrated amazing producers.

dubdub
Asphyxiwank

Post by dubdub »

I don't know how you are reading all this stuff in my post, my advice was pretty general, think about what you do, rather do less than more. I didn't tell him to buy a fucking mask and go anonymous. And the fact that you are doing the "be true to yourself!" shtick in a thread about a guy that wants help on how to promote himself and 'get popular' is pretty silly.

Also:
dubdub wrote:Obviously there are people that should be more well known but that's because they aren't making the hot/mainstream sound of the minute, not because they aren't promoted enough. There's only so many people that care about purist oldschool electro.

TimBuys
happy bastard

Post by TimBuys »

I just think this dude gets way too much hate for a simple question. So you can't be yourself while promoting yourself by showing some personality on your facebook? Isn't that just a way to promote yourself in a culture where artistic integrity is held to a high standard (even though it's way more commercialized than we would like to admit?). I don't know how many artists I have seen advertising on Facebook and using Facebook groups to try to promote their events. The only thing I meant is don't try to copy what other labels are doing and try to find your own audience instead. And yes, of course, the music should ALWAYS comes first but everyone has their own morals and values and artistic integrity. It's not up to you to decide another person's artistic integrity.

rktic
Utter Cunt

Post by rktic »

terryfalafel wrote:Yeah, some typically subsekty fierce replies here, but this is such a sad question to be asking. Just sums up the vacuous, shallow tripe that small music scenes have become since the Internet.
Here's my personal motivation for such a fierce and honest reply:

Helping people takes time and resources. I'm always happy to give people a helping hand who are stuck in a rut with this or that. People who want to advance in making their art. Likeminded folks.

Waving the popularity card to me is exactly the opposite. And I personally don't want to waste my time helping somebody who wants to be cool waving hands in front of a crowd for the sake of just that. Proper waste of resources spend on adding to the inflation issue.

My 2 cents.

PatrickHughes
Exampleless

Post by PatrickHughes »

I honestly didn't make this to start an argument and the reason I didn't bring up my own music because I didn't want this to be a topic about myself at all. I just figured I'd pose the question in general for everyone. I 100% agree music is first and foremost always, and I'm right there with the rest of you in wishing marketing wasn't something producers had to deal with at all. I just figure since it is a thing that exists what's the harm in taking a few minutes of time and developing that side of things as well.

I don't see why things have to be so black and white anyways. Maybe this is more of a philosophical question, but can't you make music for the love of making music while also wanting to be successful or can you only be motivated by one or the other?

And I'm really not even talking that in depth, more along the lines of what do you post on your wall: new track links, pictures of yourself, cat memes ect..?

rktic
Utter Cunt

Post by rktic »

PatrickHughes wrote:Can't you make music for the love of making music while also wanting to be successful or can you only be motivated by one or the other?
What's your answer to that?

(Not interested in throwing it back at you - I wasted my moment of cuntizm for today already)

PatrickHughes
Exampleless

Post by PatrickHughes »

rktic wrote:
PatrickHughes wrote:Can't you make music for the love of making music while also wanting to be successful or can you only be motivated by one or the other?
What's your answer to that?

(Not interested in throwing it back at you - I wasted my moment of cuntizm for today already)

I think it's absolutely possible to both love producing music while also wanting to be successful. I also agree there are some people who are wrongly motivated purely by wanting to be successful at the expense of their music.

rktic
Utter Cunt

Post by rktic »

PatrickHughes wrote:I think it's absolutely possible to both love producing music while also wanting to be successful. I also agree there are some people who are wrongly motivated purely by wanting to be successful at the expense of their music.
I just figured that we didn't define success in this context yet. What is success in your book?

dubdub
Asphyxiwank

Post by dubdub »

I just don't see why most of us here on Subsekt (including me) would need a Facebook page for our music, it's not good enough to warrant spamming people. (But I freely admit I do suffer from a heavy case of German modesty)

TimBuys
happy bastard

Post by TimBuys »

I sort of agree with you on that, I haven't even gotten an artist name yet because I'm nowhere close to where I want to be (I have been producing for about two years with a couple of months without producing). But even if you're posting shitty tracks at least you're showing you're passionate about something which is better than 95% of the superficial shit you will find on FB.

Alume
Confetti

Post by Alume »

Alume wrote:Pop quality track on a regular basis, thats all tbh.

Disclaimer: I didnt read post, obviously I agree with alle big boyz here.
Wouldnt want to start an argument,

8-)
Last edited by Alume on Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Alume
Confetti

Post by Alume »

Also,

1. Art, family and friends
2. Good food, plenty healthy excersize-> Healthy body, healthy mind
3. Time, to practice 1 and 2.
4-end. the rest

tsaro
Lifer

Post by tsaro »

Hey, I recognise that A&R social media talk from when I visited Armada music with a mate who did a few tracks for them once (and it was really hard not to start laughing btw), which is a good indication you're barking up the wrong tree here :P

You will find that most people who are into techno, and/or other more underground genres in general, are pretty much allergic to that kind of thing. But if it's really what you want it shouldn't be too hard to just copy the Bumload sound of the hour and become 'famous'.

Good luck!
how far do you want to go