Peggy Gou Criticism On Twatter

General Chat // Music Discussion
[wesellboxes]
Q33 NY
Peggy Gou Criticism On Twatter

Post by [wesellboxes] »

There’s quite a bit going off on techno twitter at the moment regarding Peggy Gou. In summary, here is someone, who with her team, has played the industry game and got to the top - 10k-40k sets, blanket coverage on RA and corporate sponsorship with Nike.

Good for her I suppose, but then it’s more than the recent Nike/Boiler Room gig that seems to irk and caused other respected artists to remonstrate about the current state of the industry. Though perhaps, forgetting it is just that – an industry.

Naturally, this had led onto accusations of jealously and institutionalized misogyny, which while very apparent in dance music, I see less of at play here.

That said, I think this comment from Ciel sums things up perfectly – “Y'all we can be anti-corporate and anti-instagramification of dance music culture without being incel-like”

chava
You only live once
Re: Peggy Gou Criticism On Twatter

Post by chava »

[wesellboxes] wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:06 am
There’s quite a bit going off on techno twitter at the moment regarding Peggy Gou. In summary, here is someone, who with her team, has played the industry game and got to the top - 10k-40k sets, blanket coverage on RA and corporate sponsorship with Nike.

Good for her I suppose, but then it’s more than the recent Nike/Boiler Room gig that seems to irk and caused other respected artists to remonstrate about the current state of the industry. Though perhaps, forgetting it is just that – an industry.

Naturally, this had led onto accusations of jealously and institutionalized misogyny, which while very apparent in dance music, I see less of at play here.

That said, I think this comment from Ciel sums things up perfectly – “Y'all we can be anti-corporate and anti-instagramification of dance music culture without being incel-like”
There was a recent thread on the Techno subreddit discussing this alleged apparant misogyny. That got shut down after 24h. This is obviously a subject that is so touchy that it can't be discussed reasonably on social media platforms. Maybe not even in a bar IRL.

Understable, this article got a lot of heat last year as well: https://telegra.ph/Precedent-Advisor-10 ... ScToLUDCXI

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Lost to the Void »

Couldn't give a fuck if it was a man or a woman or somewhere inbetween.
Instagram pop techno, and just the whole commercialization and moronification of it is so far from my reasons for getting in to the music that I`m right at the edge of getting out of it now.
Techno is starting to feel like a dirty word, I want to find a new name for the sound I am mainly focusing on.
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

Mslwte
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Mslwte »

Lost to the Void wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 12:52 pm
Techno is starting to feel like a dirty word, I want to find a new name for the sound I am mainly focusing on.
This is exactly how I feel at the moment. Added to the fact that I feel like I'm getting zero reach with my music I'm considering ditching my hobby, for a short tim at least.
https://soundcloud.com/mslwte
https://noizefacilityrecords.bandcamp.com
https://www.instagram.com/subsekt909
https://www.facebook.com/subsekt909/
Lost to the Void wrote:Fuck off, get some tequila down ya neck and make some noise you cunt....

chava
You only live once

Post by chava »

Maybe people are just realizing that there's no free lunch. Resident Advisor was just a marketing/artist agency all along, once in while providing a bit of "journalistic" "content". That's their business model; they know how to play the game incl social media promotion of Peggy Gou (and not much techno about her I guess).

Mono-xID
Uumfääng

Post by Mono-xID »

1st: Who the fuck is Peggy Gou?
2nd: I don't give a fuck

I just don't know what to add.
http://soundcloud.com/monoxid

Behringer = ARTS label of synths

Pelecaras
Lifer

Post by Pelecaras »

Mslwte wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 2:16 pm
Lost to the Void wrote:
This is exactly how I feel at the moment. Added to the fact that I feel like I'm getting zero reach with my music I'm considering ditching my hobby, for a short tim at least.
shit don't do that dude...only last night I purchased your 'resisting the urge of wanting' EP and it's just got me through a gruelling session at the gym so thanks for your great music.
I am not really in the scene anymore but I hate how "trendy" techno has become and I understand how frustrating it must be for someone like yourself (with integrity and not playing the game) but your music is the anathema to that bullshit..as are a lot of other subsekters music. I also bought Lag's 'stutter' EP and it's great.
Last edited by Pelecaras on Mon Mar 25, 2019 4:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
FUCK-WIT

Pelecaras
Lifer

Post by Pelecaras »

Lost to the Void wrote:
Instagram pop techno
there's a genre name right there, We'll keep TECHNO and let the V-neck's have their IPT.
Last edited by Pelecaras on Mon Mar 25, 2019 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FUCK-WIT

Pelecaras
Lifer

Post by Pelecaras »

Mono-xID wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 3:08 pm
Nail....Head....mic drop!!!!
FUCK-WIT

Críoch
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Críoch »

man.. it's pathetic that people are buying likes & going ultra hard on marketing. it's pop management mentality. Simon Cowell & Louis Walsh eat your heart out. it's multiple artists obviously.

there's room for everyone of course.. but it's a shame to see intelligent people follow trends so easily. you have to be yourself at some point in your life.

blame social media.. but capitalism, consumerism, youth, ignorance & naivety all have a part to play. hopefully people will use the experience as a gateway to something better.

until then, yep.. the world is fucked. But we all knew that already, right?

that Precedent Advisor article is v difficult reading. if 50% of it is true, then we are living in strange times. every asshole has an opinion.. but as time goes on, there are increasingly few places where it is safe to have an opinion and not be accused of being an asshole.

the internet is such a petty and intense place. unreal. that it's dividing itself into teams. you're either with them or you're against them. PC vs. Mac / Vinyl vs. Mp3 x 1,000,000.
KennethExack wrote:My kids and I are completely shocked by the specialized secrets that everyone has on this forum
>> Click here for NEW POSTS on subsekt <<

Dialog I The Hole I subsekt Blog I The Bench I IG I SC I Mixes I FB

Pelecaras
Lifer

Post by Pelecaras »

Críoch wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 4:52 pm
man.. it's pathetic that people are buying likes & going ultra hard on marketing. it's pop management mentality. Simon Cowell & Louis Walsh eat your heart out. it's multiple artists obviously.

there's room for everyone of course.. but it's a shame to see intelligent people follow trends so easily. you have to be yourself at some point in your life.

blame social media.. but capitalism, consumerism, youth, ignorance & naivety all have a part to play. hopefully people will use the experience as a gateway to something better.

until then, yep.. the world is fucked. But we all knew that already, right?

that Precedent Advisor article is v difficult reading. if 50% of it is true, then we are living in strange times. every asshole has an opinion.. but as time goes on, there are increasingly few places where it is safe to have an opinion and not be accused an asshole.

the internet is such a petty and intense place. unreal. that it's dividing itself into teams. you're either with them or you're against them. PC vs. Mac / Vinyl vs. Mp3 x 1,000,000.
Only a few days ago I think Tim Berners-Lee said that "the internet" is not what he had hoped it would be.
FUCK-WIT

Mattias
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Mattias »

Mono-xID wrote:

I just don't know what to add.
Music Page: http://www.facebook.com/Mattias.Fridell.Music
Soundcloud: http://soundcloud.com/fridell
Sample packs: http://mfsamples.bandcamp.com

Contention / 005

Mattias
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Mattias »

I'm so insanely exhausted on what Techno is and how it's being treated currently. Oddly I feel I have an obligation to stand firm and just laugh at the whole industry part of it, pissing on everyone who were a part building the industry and hype when it falls and just continue.
Music Page: http://www.facebook.com/Mattias.Fridell.Music
Soundcloud: http://soundcloud.com/fridell
Sample packs: http://mfsamples.bandcamp.com

Contention / 005

[wesellboxes]
Q33 NY

Post by [wesellboxes] »

Mono-xID wrote:
>2nd: I don't give a fuck
Personally, I'm not so keen about a system where a DJ can earn up to $40,000 a set by playing music made by people that will be lucky to earn $10 from it.

Ties into that DVS1 clip posted up the other week.

Mono-xID
Uumfääng

Post by Mono-xID »

[wesellboxes] wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 5:57 pm
Personally, I'm not so keen about a system where a DJ can earn up to $40,000 a set by playing music made by people that will be lucky to earn $10 from it.
Hence i don't give a fuck because neither i support this idiocracy nor do i take part in such events.
http://soundcloud.com/monoxid

Behringer = ARTS label of synths

chava
You only live once

Post by chava »

[wesellboxes] wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 5:57 pm
Mono-xID wrote:
>2nd: I don't give a fuck

Ties into that DVS1 clip posted up the other week.
Because in her case the music isn't important at all. Her 'brand's is that much more worth than whatever she plays. The same with most top tier djs.

Root
BANNED

Post by Root »

The only thing that bothers me is that this whole fucked up scenery spills in what I'm doing. It's nearly impossible these days to do an underground party without having 80% idiots jumping around, shuffling, yelling for that heaving kickdrum, coming over to me while djing and telling me that they love my sound for reasons that are diamterically opposed to why I'm doing this. I thought 'doing my thing' could teach them, but no, they're raping me. At least it feels like it. Atm I end up cancelling booking requests and better have time with myself and my synths. Much more inspiring.
:geek:

jordanneke
subsekt
subsekt

Post by jordanneke »

I'm about done with the internet. It makes me despair about us. It really does. It has opened a lot of doors, and a lot of them were worth keeping closed.

There seems to be absolutely no middle ground on anything, thanks to the internet.

youtu.be/fYiwrUbfw1A

jordanneke
subsekt
subsekt

Post by jordanneke »

@James.

Keep going man. You've got more talent in your fucking little finger than ten of me.

Unless you want to go riding!

RWise
durchfall

Post by RWise »

''Corporates want to hire or buy some of what comes from this culture, but in the end they don’t care at all about it, it’s just a way they can buy some cool and sell some more shit.''

Side note: when the fuck has peggy gou ever been remotely involved with the techno scene anyway?

Shes always made housey cuts and now basically just makes pop music dressed up as house music.
Dont take life so seriously :mrgreen: