Recommend me some techno

General Chat // Music Discussion
Mattias
subsekt
subsekt
Re: Recommend me some techno

Post by Mattias »

innovine wrote: So, can anyone actually a) read what I'm looking for and b) recommend something which I might like?

If more references would help, I like this: https://soundcloud.com/dj-dmx-4/dj-dmx-made-for-life-21
and this (not quite as clean and dry as I'd like, but still kicking):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0zcEupKxdY&t=4458s
I think you'll dig some gold at least by checking out the Minimal section on Beatport and the likes a few years ago. It sounds a lot like that "trippy tech-house with minimal and trance that borderlines to modern progression house " influences. Damn I suck at genre explaining haha. I think the issue with the recommendations you get is that this type of music doesn't really fall under Techno.

I used to get loads of promos like the music in the links you provided few years ago. Sadly I cant remember many of the names since my instant unsubscribes. Some music by Deniz Bul & Droplex comes to mind? Maybe not.
Music Page: http://www.facebook.com/Mattias.Fridell.Music
Soundcloud: http://soundcloud.com/fridell
Sample packs: http://mfsamples.bandcamp.com

Contention / 005

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Lost to the Void »

Maybe Timo Maas?
Heiko Laux for the more sophisticated side?
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

victer
Pig

Post by victer »

Xhin's latest stuff as Nihx (clever, uh ?) is pretty good and should fit but stay in techno territory.
https://nihx.bandcamp.com/album/001
facebook.com/bepulsed

over9000
Nor Crystal Tears

Post by over9000 »

len faki

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

victer wrote:Xhin's latest stuff as Nihx (clever, uh ?) is pretty good and should fit but stay in techno territory.

Wow, that has to be the most "oh hai, I haz eurorakzz now" project of the year so far.
New Shit

over9000
Nor Crystal Tears

Post by over9000 »

ah you might like the suara label too.

victer
Pig

Post by victer »

Lost to the Void wrote:
Wow, that has to be the most "oh hai, I haz eurorakzz now" project of the year so far.
I'm impressed you could tell only by the sound.
Really like that release though. So much crazyness and it's not falling in to the obvious dark stuff that is so common today, wich xhin exploited a lot... always nice to see an artist take new, exciting directions imo. Loved the prog metal album he did a few months ago too ! I'm a bit of a fanboy i suppose :mrgreen:

Anyway, sounds better than typical car alarm modular action haha.
facebook.com/bepulsed

Joseph John
fancy woman

Post by Joseph John »

Plenty of mixes like you describe on my S/C...have a look mate...

https://soundcloud.com/joseph-john1

give us a follow...if you like what you hear give me a shout you can just have em......

dubdub
Asphyxiwank

Post by dubdub »

Lost to the Void wrote:
victer wrote:Xhin's latest stuff as Nihx (clever, uh ?) is pretty good and should fit but stay in techno territory.
Jeez, that release is bad. And Xhin used to make some pretty good stuff like five years with some pretty nice sound design.

youtu.be/a8LqXfy3IcU

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Yep. Loved Xhin.
Crack ruins everything.
New Shit

Vox Veteran
Onions

Post by Vox Veteran »

Lost to the Void wrote:Yep. Loved Xhin.
Crack ruins everything.
Sad news :(

All too common, I fear and lost various good music producing friends (or they neglected their skills as a trade off) for the same reason.

Vox Veteran
Onions

Post by Vox Veteran »

Vox Veteran wrote:
Crack ruins everything.

All too common, I fear and lost various good music producing friends (or they neglected their skills as a trade off) for the same reason.
Doh! Think I got caught out by the lingo here. hehe

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Vox Veteran wrote:
Crack ruins everything.

Yeah I was talking eurocrack.

But yeah, the actual rocks of doom are worse, I`ve seen em take people down over my years.
Only person I ever had to turn my back on in my life who was a friend, was down to crack.
Tried everything to get him to get help, and for a long time, we even locked him up, forced cold turkey, but he just became utterly untrustworthy and lost to the drug, when you become my friend you are family and I will take a fucking knife for you if someone is coming at you with one, so having to basically walk away from a friend due to his total surrender to a drug was really fucking painful.
Shit drug.
New Shit

Vox Veteran
Onions

Post by Vox Veteran »

Lost to the Void wrote:
Vox Veteran wrote:
Crack ruins everything.

Yeah I was talking eurocrack.

But yeah, the actual rocks of doom are worse, I`ve seen em take people down over my years.
Only person I ever had to turn my back on in my life who was a friend, was down to crack.
Tried everything to get him to get help, and for a long time, we even locked him up, forced cold turkey, but he just became utterly untrustworthy and lost to the drug, when you become my friend you are family and I will take a fucking knife for you if someone is coming at you with one, so having to basically walk away from a friend due to his total surrender to a drug was really fucking painful.
Shit drug.
Respect to you, V.

I think safe to say I and a broad variety of friends survived/avoided the bad drugs thanks to the meaning, structure and discipline that music and especially techno brought to our lives as we were growing up. Like you, I'll always go the extra mile for anyone I truly call a friend but that stuff transforms people into something other than human once it gets it's claws in.

Thies
Pig

Post by Thies »

here you go.. a set ahead of its time but it fits your description somehow. tbh the sound you'r looking for is not that hard to be found.. just go to be-at.tv or whatever site and look up the tracklists of a lot of the "techno" events broadcasted there.

youtu.be/T9-BcBY36YA

td3l
reverse genius

Post by td3l »

Crack ruins everything.
My brief foray into Eurorack was the most musically unproductive stretch I've had in years (of the periods where I'm actually trying to create and not taking a creative rest, ala now (damn thesis)).

Shit's so, so overrated for techno purposes.

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

It`s not that it`s overrated, I just don`t think everyone knows what they want in an instrument, nor how to build one properly.
But it`s like trying to reinvent the guitar, it`s super attractive and super nerdy but it seems to detract from the music making process and pushes people more in to the fiddling, noodling thing. And whilst interesting to play with, the results are generally....

Well every musician I have absolutely loved that has got in to eurocrack has lost all their individuality to generic analoggy bleepy, techno. So far not one has made music that has interested me since they went down the bloophole.

Including Surgeon, who is someone who has remained musically untouchable for me throughout his career, and if I am to have a hero in techno, it would be him, and now his new stuff, it has no surgeon in it, it`s just blips and blops and, it`s the first time he`s done something that sounds like a step back rather than a step forward.

I think eurocrack works for some people, but it really takes such a long time to find the instrument (ie combination of modules) that works for you, and then you have to master it to do good work. And for some people it just isn`t the right instrument for them, but it`s so damn attractive. I mean, it IS like a drug. Some drugs are just not for some people, but they are so damn attractive. I know people who can drink and make great music and not end up wrecks, and I have seen mates lose their fucking souls to booze. Eurorack is like that, some people can get it and make great music with it, and others totally lose all the soul from their music and just end up making noodly machine muck.

For me, I`m a musician, give me an instrument and I will make music, I don`t have the time to make my own drum kit, or luther my own guitar, just give me the guitar and I will find a way to make interesting noise with it.
New Shit

dubdub
Asphyxiwank

Post by dubdub »

Yeah, out of 10 guys that went full euro, the music of 9/10 has gotten worse since. It seems like the guys that actually benefit the most from it are the guys that just get a small case to go along with their usual setup. Even if I had the money I wouldn't do it, even though there's some really cool FX that you can't find anywhere else. I'm an obsessive setup perfectionist, modular would just kill me. I think the Lego-aspect of it is what it is so addictive for a lot of people, to the point where it becomes unhealthy. I'm fairly certain a lot of people on Muffwiggler etc. spend more times with their setups than actually making music.

Sigha is the only one I can remember on top of my head that has gotten better since going modular, his last album is pretty nice and much better than the last one he made on a laptop. But that's also probably just him maturing as an artist.

I thought the most recent Surgeon EP was alright. Not a highlight of his catalogue but pretty decent and it doesn't scream eurorack like that shitty modular noodling album he made. It's kind of ironic isn't it - modular being the "ultimate" freedom but somehow it ends up being even more restrictive than a regular setup. I've seen these modular guys often mention how having a regular musical scale / keyboard is already putting you in a box. But they totally don't get that not having a musical scale is also a box. And so legions of modular guys freed from the shackles of regular instruments end up making the same sequenced mono synth noodling without any chords (and a bunch of other shit that modular is not convient for) in sight because that's what the format implicitely dictates.

td3l
reverse genius

Post by td3l »

Lets call it over-hyped then.

Don't get me wrong, I did some fun stuff with it. But the cost-to-output ratio is just ridiculously high and it's very easy to get off into the weeds with it quickly. When you have a $4000 custom constructed instrument it's difficult to treat it as a cog in the machine.

The one techno artist that went full-modular and is actually still pushing interesting stuff is Steevio, but if you watch the video where he explains his system you'll see that he does not actually re-patch it--he decided what he wanted and patched it appropriately. The architecture is largely fixed. Neel would be a second mention--he has a well-Instagram'ed wall of modular but has been dropping some really killer techno burners lately (also, his Phobos album was legit).

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Jesus, I've not seen Steevio for fucking years.
He played on our soundsystem back in the illegal rave years a few times.
Good guy, way too much of a nice hippy to be getting involved in our shit.
New Shit