Recommend me some techno

General Chat // Music Discussion
innovine
hmmmmmm...
Re: Recommend me some techno

Post by innovine »

OP here. So first off, my thanks to the few who tried to answer my question. The rest of you either didn't read my post at all, or I explained myself very badly. I'm open to either option. As with any internet music forum, there is always that special class of idiot who recommends something totally different, just because it is what they like. It reminds me of a famous experiment done on 3 year olds. First, the experimenter eats some candy that the child dislikes, like liquorice, and says "yum, yum, i love liquorice!". Then both the liquorice and the childs favorite candy are placed on front of the child, and the experimenter says "oooh, i would love some candy, can you give me a bit?" The point is to see whether the child will recommend it's own favorite candy, without considering the experimenters own tastes, which the children do at a young age, or to see if they are developed enough to realise that the experimenter has their own taste, and the child can understand and use enough empathy to offer the liquorice. Lots of people in this thread just failed this test and should be rather embarassed.

In the event that I didn't explain myself well enough, I am specifically looking for somewhat clean, dry mixes. No reverb on the kick, no rumbly bass, no hissy noise or atmospheric effect running in the background. I am explicitly looking for clear, synth basslines, probably (but not necessarily exclusively) on every upbeat between the kicks, and with a few synth effects and noises thrown in. I enjoy the fact that the Berjcha mix changes and evolves at a rapid pace, there are many fills, variations and arrangement changes every 8, 16 bars, etc. There are risers and snare drum rolls. The arrangement is rarely dull, and this is what I am asking for and want... not 7 minutes of a kick drum and a hissy noise, however much YOU think such things are awesome. And often I think Berjcha manages to get a somewhat dark, driving, throbbing groove happening here. I can agree with the comments that it goes overboard and too far, and becomes cheesy. What I'm looking for, if you read carefully, are mixes without this cheesy overboardness, but still driving, moving forward, thumping, and containing synth parts more than sampled noise and found sound atmospheres.

You can deride minimal techno and cliche beatport tracks all you want, but the suggestions above are just as cliche with the reverby bass and spooky atmosphere pad and utterly boring arrangements. I am asking for a very particular thing here. I thought I did a good job of explaining what I didn't want to hear, but obviously not..

So, can anyone actually a) read what I'm looking for and b) recommend something which I might like?

If more references would help, I like this: https://soundcloud.com/dj-dmx-4/dj-dmx-made-for-life-21
and this (not quite as clean and dry as I'd like, but still kicking):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0zcEupKxdY&t=4458s

I like the synthy tones, and the clean and dryness of the tracks in the Brejcha mix, and the arrangement. Not the lighter, happier vibe. I am not interested in hearing what you think is good techno, thanks. Keep that for your own recommendation thread.

rktic
Utter Cunt

Post by rktic »

Hm. Since I replied in a way which you entitled me to be embarassed - I'm not. Here's why:

1. "Bringing a knife to a gunfight"
I think your request doesn't match the idea of what "Techno" means around here. Of course, I can only write for myself but the amount of answers directing the way that a guy wearing a mask playing hits for the masses makes more footnails stand up than just mine.

2. I dislike lazy folks.
There's nothing easier than finding something similar to "x" on the internet. YT recommendations, Spotify, Soundcloud - they're perfectly tuned to deliver everybody. And I firmly believe that especially those really into music are obliged to get up their asses and get digging themselves. But yeah, that might be just me again.

Then again I believe you could have been listening to music of your liking since yesterday already if you simply went the way and followed some recommendations of platforms of your choice. Given your request doesn't fall into a very close niche. The opposite is the case.

---

Anyway, check out some of the shows by Psycatron, Christian Smith, George Fitzgerald, Hardfloor or Scuba.

innovine
hmmmmmm...

Post by innovine »

Oh no, I listen to the wrong kind of techno. Thanks for straightening me out and showing me the trve path, I've been enlightened.

Next you'll want a debate about sub-genres.
Last edited by innovine on Sat May 13, 2017 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

willemb
Mild

Post by willemb »

I have relistened a bit and understand what you are looking for. I appreciate that there are a lot of edits/variations/fills etc in this mix, but the style is really off putting to me. I personally dont have anything against clean and digital music from time to time, but I dont like the synth lines, so cant help you to find more in this very specific niche.

rktic also makes valid points.

rktic
Utter Cunt

Post by rktic »

innovine wrote:Oh no, I listen to the wrong kind of techno. Thanks for straightening me out and showing me the trve path, I've been enlightened.

Next you'll want a debate about sub-genres.
Not interested in that :) Also - please don't dismiss my recommendations.

innovine
hmmmmmm...

Post by innovine »

willemb wrote: rktic also makes valid points.
Maybe in a different context, but in a thread where I ask for specific recommendations? I think not. He's just being a condescending prick.

Imagine going to a forum for discussing movies, and saying you like action films, but not horror, and some little cunt pops up and says you watch shit movies, says your lazy for asking, and recommends you watch proper horror movies instead.
Last edited by innovine on Sat May 13, 2017 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

willemb
Mild

Post by willemb »

I think it is probably a specific niche, albeit a subset of a giant not-niche.... this might make it hard to find the tree he likes through the forest of similar trees that aren't quite right. However, it is doubtful that you will find a map to your tree here in this particular botanical garden.

innovine
hmmmmmm...

Post by innovine »

willemb wrote:I think it is probably a specific niche, albeit a subset of a giant not-niche.... this might make it hard to find the tree he likes through the forest of similar trees that aren't quite right. However, it is doubtful that you will find a map to your tree here in this particular botanical garden.
fine, then just stay quiet. The lack of recommendations says it all. just because this is the internet doesn't mean its always best to open your mouth and let everyone know what your opinion is.

rktic
Utter Cunt

Post by rktic »

innovine wrote:
willemb wrote:I think it is probably a specific niche, albeit a subset of a giant not-niche.... this might make it hard to find the tree he likes through the forest of similar trees that aren't quite right. However, it is doubtful that you will find a map to your tree here in this particular botanical garden.
fine, then just stay quiet. The lack of recommendations says it all. just because this is the internet doesn't mean its always best to open your mouth and let everyone know what your opinion is.
Good sir, you've been given recommendations that perfectly fit your request. What else do you need?

innovine
hmmmmmm...

Post by innovine »

rktic wrote:Good sir, you've been given recommendations that perfectly fit your request. What else do you need?
A few mins to listen to them... will report back

innovine
hmmmmmm...

Post by innovine »

rktic wrote:
innovine wrote:
Good sir, you've been given recommendations that perfectly fit your request. What else do you need?
Ok, I've skimmed through the artists you've mentioned. The latter ones were a bit too synthy/acidy and not enough dark and throbbing, but to be fair, you've answered what I was asking for pretty well. Perhaps I don't know how to ask for what I'm after. Christian Smith was about the best of your suggestions, and ticked the boxes I mentioned, but lets be honest, it's not very good, is it? :)

My other love is jungle, drum n bass and techstep, and even the less squealy acidy techno, basically the more stompy evil intense frowny styles the better, and I cant find this vibe in techno without being bored to tears by rumble bass, reverby kicks and long, slow arrangements. I think sound palette used by the artists i referenced would be cool if the tunes themselves were much tougher. Perhaps it doesnt exist.
Last edited by innovine on Sat May 13, 2017 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Planar
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Planar »

I just skipped through the mix and it's going down like a lead balloon because it's not really what most on here would classify as techno. It actually sounds a lot like what Digweed is playing these days that kind of grey area between house, techno and almost trance at times, lots of Robert Babicz, Pig & Dan, Eulberg, Guy J etc etc. So I suggest giving some of his mixes a go (and he is still a bloody good dj regardless of style) and looking at the tracklisting and then going into a music vortex of related artists, you know... cratedigging. It's a piece of piss on the internet.
innovine wrote: He's just being a condescending prick.
And the best way to deal with that is to start acting like one yourself?

innovine
hmmmmmm...

Post by innovine »

Planar wrote:I just skipped through the mix and it's going down like a lead balloon because it's not really what most on here would classify as techno. It actually sounds a lot like what Digweed is playing these days that kind of grey area between house, techno and almost trance at times, lots of Robert Babicz, Pig & Dan, Eulberg, Guy J etc etc. So I suggest giving some of his mixes a go (and he is still a bloody good dj regardless of style) and looking at the tracklisting and then going into a music vortex of related artists, you know... cratedigging. It's a piece of piss on the internet.
Thanks Planar. I usually start with mixes then I dig through the track listings, and the labels of the better artists I find. But you're right that there are several grey areas here, and it's been hard for me to search for things. I don't usually listen to this stuff, either, so I don't know how to begin the search without a few pointers. I suppose I am looking for a more techno version of the TS mix, but oldschool techno, before the berghain rumbles took over.
innovine wrote: He's just being a condescending prick.
And the best way to deal with that is to start acting like one yourself?
Probably not, my apologies rktic.

Planar
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Planar »

Old-school techno is a bit of a nebulous term in my opinion. But other artists who might fit what you're looking for are guys like Slam, Funk D'Void maybe some Martin Buttrich. Lots of synths and a housier edge at times.

rktic
Utter Cunt

Post by rktic »

innovine wrote: Ok, I've skimmed through the artists you've mentioned. The latter ones were a bit too synthy/acidy and not enough dark and throbbing, but to be fair, you've answered what I was asking for pretty well. Perhaps I don't know how to ask for what I'm after. Christian Smith was about the best of your suggestions, and ticked the boxes I mentioned, but lets be honest, it's not very good, is it? :)
Ending up on the same page, aren't we? ;)

Got the impression that you want just a simple, good old fashioned kick in the butt.
https://www.mixcloud.com/RonnyPries/who ... of-techno/

(shitty sound quality - sorry)

Alume
Confetti

Post by Alume »

Sorry dude, i was in the first category too.

Dont take me too serious.

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Lost to the Void »

innovine wrote:OP here. So first off, my thanks to the few who tried to answer my question. The rest of you either didn't read my post at all, or I explained myself very badly. I'm open to either option. As with any internet music forum, there is always that special class of idiot who recommends something totally different, just because it is what they like. It reminds me of a famous experiment done on 3 year olds. First, the experimenter eats some candy that the child dislikes, like liquorice, and says "yum, yum, i love liquorice!". Then both the liquorice and the childs favorite candy are placed on front of the child, and the experimenter says "oooh, i would love some candy, can you give me a bit?" The point is to see whether the child will recommend it's own favorite candy, without considering the experimenters own tastes, which the children do at a young age, or to see if they are developed enough to realise that the experimenter has their own taste, and the child can understand and use enough empathy to offer the liquorice. Lots of people in this thread just failed this test and should be rather embarassed.

In the event that I didn't explain myself well enough, I am specifically looking for somewhat clean, dry mixes. No reverb on the kick, no rumbly bass, no hissy noise or atmospheric effect running in the background. I am explicitly looking for clear, synth basslines, probably (but not necessarily exclusively) on every upbeat between the kicks, and with a few synth effects and noises thrown in. I enjoy the fact that the Berjcha mix changes and evolves at a rapid pace, there are many fills, variations and arrangement changes every 8, 16 bars, etc. There are risers and snare drum rolls. The arrangement is rarely dull, and this is what I am asking for and want... not 7 minutes of a kick drum and a hissy noise, however much YOU think such things are awesome. And often I think Berjcha manages to get a somewhat dark, driving, throbbing groove happening here. I can agree with the comments that it goes overboard and too far, and becomes cheesy. What I'm looking for, if you read carefully, are mixes without this cheesy overboardness, but still driving, moving forward, thumping, and containing synth parts more than sampled noise and found sound atmospheres.

You can deride minimal techno and cliche beatport tracks all you want, but the suggestions above are just as cliche with the reverby bass and spooky atmosphere pad and utterly boring arrangements. I am asking for a very particular thing here. I thought I did a good job of explaining what I didn't want to hear, but obviously not..

So, can anyone actually a) read what I'm looking for and b) recommend something which I might like?

If more references would help, I like this: https://soundcloud.com/dj-dmx-4/dj-dmx-made-for-life-21
and this (not quite as clean and dry as I'd like, but still kicking):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0zcEupKxdY&t=4458s

I like the synthy tones, and the clean and dryness of the tracks in the Brejcha mix, and the arrangement. Not the lighter, happier vibe. I am not interested in hearing what you think is good techno, thanks. Keep that for your own recommendation thread.

I see a lot of words there, all spilling out fuzzy from your head like a thinkyfall.
But you is just pissed cos you didn`t get no liquorice ya little beeatch.
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

innovine
hmmmmmm...

Post by innovine »

Lost to the Void wrote:I see a lot of words there, all spilling out fuzzy from your head like a thinkyfall.
But you is just pissed cos you didn`t get no liquorice ya little beeatch.
Go back to making your bourgeois techno.

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Lost to the Void »

Also, why is you be in a booze shop asking for liquorice?
Yous would be Bettas in the sweet shop. They has plenty of liquorice there.
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

intrusav
Rolf Harris

Post by intrusav »

Hahaha @ a "thinkyfall". Funny shit...

Anyway, listening to that vid, it's all a bit magnolia for my liking but yes, Digweed would play this stuff a lot, maybe just get some Rob Babicz mixes and go from there.

I wouldn't call this techno (and don't think too many on here would) so maybe the fact that you asked for techno is where the problem lies You'd be better off looking for progressive house or something.
Last edited by intrusav on Sun May 14, 2017 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.