The most dark industrial techno, ever.

General Chat // Music Discussion
dubdub
Asphyxiwank
Re: The most dark industrial techno, ever.

Post by dubdub »

Lost to the Void wrote:
dubdub wrote: I've just never got into that whole lets take some metallic screching sounds over some awkward hard break-y kick pattern thing..
Literally not representative of more than 25% of industrial techno at best.
Obviously, I was exaggerating but I've never liked most industrial techno since i'm not that much into the whole industrial sound aesthetic. I mean, I don't like most real/original industrial so it's not exactly a surprise :lol:
Lost to the Void wrote: I have heard that there will be more Obscurum coming out.
No idea if that means old unreleased stuff has been found or if they are actually going to be making new shit.
But it's kinda exciting news.
My collection of Obscurum records are the prize of my collection.
Fanon Flowers said he contacted them and they have no interest in coming back to techno, but they have some old unreleased DATs he could release. Which i'm pretty happy about honestly - I mean, for example the new B12 stuff is nice and all but you can't just recapture that same magic when you turn on the machines 20 years later since that magic came out of a very specific space and time. I think Fanon wants to do a mix of unreleased old stuff and new remixes by other people. Which are going to be entirely unessecary but as long as were are getting the old stuff... There's a group on FB where Fanon has talked about it, although he's been saying it's coming for like two years so i'm not sure what's up with the project right now. Although there was that one reissue on another label a while ago so at least something is happening.

chava
You only live once
Re: The most dark industrial techno, ever.

Post by chava »

dubdub wrote:Not a fan of most "industrial techno". I've just never got into that whole lets take some metallic screching sounds over some awkward hard break-y kick pattern thing. THAT said there's a few "industrial techno" guys I love.

Mick Harris' Monrella stuff is all great, hard as nails yet soooo funky and bouncy, where as most industrial type stuff is intentionally or unintentionally stiff. Great sequences too.

And then Obscurum of course. I have no idea what the hell these guys were smoking. Their earlier stuff just fucking rolls over you like a bulldozer. A lot of it is super straight but really hard to play because of the idiosyncratic production, they just didn't give a fuck. And some of their later stuff has insane swing values, barely at the edge of disintegrating. In my opinion, they took hard industrial techno to it's logical conclusion. And then they just dissapeared. Legends.
Just my words, man. To me most of that new industrial techno stuff just lack a proper groove and are also waay overproduced and without the dirty gritty chaotic experience which is so hard to do right.

I would have linked to some of the harder POM POM tracks which is also a good example of how to it proper 'dirty', but couldn't find them on YT.