The most dark industrial techno, ever.

General Chat // Music Discussion
TimBuys
happy bastard
Re: The most dark industrial techno, ever.

Post by TimBuys »

I like showmanship, but only if the artist has the skills to back it up.

delphine
Suspect Handshake

Post by delphine »

mainst09 wrote:the most funny about all this is that supposedly SNTS is unam zetineb, not official but heard lots of people say it AND unam is known for sampling other techno artists i know at least XHIN came public with it. this happened some years ago, and now he's playing with a fucking mask, i wonder why...
I've heard that he was, and I've heard that he wasn't. Rather err on the side that he isn't as to not drag someone's name through the mud on rumors he may not have anything to do with. Let that bullshit "live" act do it for him and mostly dry output do it for him.

Thought his record on Edit Select was fantastic, but I'm also not trying to find the darkest industrial ever, either.

td3l
reverse genius

Post by td3l »

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Lost to the Void »

delphine wrote:
mainst09 wrote:the most funny about all this is that supposedly SNTS is unam zetineb, not official but heard lots of people say it AND unam is known for sampling other techno artists i know at least XHIN came public with it. this happened some years ago, and now he's playing with a fucking mask, i wonder why...
I've heard that he was, and I've heard that he wasn't. Rather err on the side that he isn't as to not drag someone's name through the mud on rumors he may not have anything to do with. Let that bullshit "live" act do it for him and mostly dry output do it for him.

Thought his record on Edit Select was fantastic, but I'm also not trying to find the darkest industrial ever, either.
I don`t think it is him realistically.
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

Evert
who is it?

Post by Evert »

td3l wrote:Orphx?

youtu.be/Ju-h3bbxQkE
Definitely!
Here's one of their earlier works, fucking brutal.

youtu.be/oW4ZEMVDCC8

terly
arsehole

Post by terly »

SixOfOne wrote:
That's hilarious if it's true!

I watched some of his Boiler Room "Live Set", which is him playing other peoples tracks on Traktor with a TR-8. Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought a live set was playing your own material live..at least that's what I'd wanna see when I see someone live!
I saw that set, but I figured he was at least playing his own tracks. The tr-8 made no sense in that set, it was a total gimmick and was extremely poorly mixed.

SixOfOne
non reader

Post by SixOfOne »

According to the track list on YouTube there's 2 of his tracks in the whole mix haha! Maybe he's bringing in some elements here and there like some people do but I didn't listen long enough to it, found the mix boring overall.

Yeah you said it, between the 'drum machine/ launching tracks from traktor set' and the mask he comes across as a gimmick.

Maybe he's a parody act, that would be more interesting at least...

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Blimey, poor fucker is getting crucified.
It's not Sellout level bad.
New Shit

delphine
Suspect Handshake

Post by delphine »

To get away from the SNTS shit talk, stuff similar to Codex Empire is obviously Ancient Methods, Blush Response, Phase Fatale, etc. Frankly I'd rather dig for the Iesope Drift/Ostia records or old Ant-Zen/Hymen, Vromb, etc, but that's me.

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Mmmm Vromb. Lovely stuff.
New Shit

Prophän
Back Bling

Post by Prophän »

You might want to check out eschaton which consists of ancient methods and orphx

Alume
Confetti

Post by Alume »

All that have been said above. Id like to add rrose as one of my favs, emptyset, roly porter.

Alume
Confetti

Post by Alume »

Varican shadow did some great work too.

Prophän
Back Bling

Post by Prophän »

Yep, but they have been mentionned as individual artists , I just wanted to point out that they both produced as a duo

Doombrain
tense

Post by Doombrain »

Well, I probably didn't anticipate such a negative response towards SNTS and was not aware of the controversial background story. The Boiler Room video which I think is mentioned is what I have listened to a few times (I have only ever heard mixes of SNTS). What attracts me to the sound of this mix and for me makes it pretty dark, is the use of ambient landscapes and organic noises. I did also find it strange that it was not a true live set and the use of random claps and samples ruined some segments of the music.

youtu.be/_UYEOeyRm4E

Swiftly moving on, I have listened to a few of the suggestions which have been interesting along with the Codex Empire related bits. Ancient Methods and Blush Response seem to be my kind of thing, some good live Boiler Room sets on Youtube I see.

I think the subject title is a little ambiguous as to what makes music dark for a person. It is subjective to personal preference and mood. Just the same as some music or sounds may trigger an emotional response, it may not for others. For me personally, I also find the enjoyment of dark music in certain types of Drum N Bass, tracks that have epic ambient landscapes combined with heavy drums trigger it for me.

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Drone techno is what you are talking about.

Dark industrial techno is.....dark, forboding, doomladen, difficult and sometimes disturbing, the industrial element is the key there.

As a genre, dark techno really became a "thing" in the early 00`s with the spanish sound sort of coming out of the Birmingham sound, there was also the Slovak sound which was a little more percussive and harder, but still part of the sub genre.
Gunjack, Grovskopa, Mulero, Surgeon, Regis, Female, Obscurum, Supagrupa, DJ Boss, Toky and Lotkibrada, Archae, Makaton, Carlos Rios, Vin iLL, Reeko.......... More I can`t be assed to type.
That sound has made a resurgence, and takes the form of the drone techno you seem to be referencing.
I mean sure, it`s dark if you compare it to Justin Bieber records, but to most techno people, it`s just techno.
Techno has an inherent darkness and abstraction to it anyway, so to call something dark techno it has to be pretty fuckin messed up.
New Shit

chava
You only live once

Post by chava »

Lost to the Void wrote: Techno has an inherent darkness and abstraction to it anyway,
Says who? As you say that sound has become popular in the last decade, but it wasn't always that drab grey moody sound. The 90es was way more diverse and colourful IMO.

chava
You only live once

Post by chava »

delphine wrote: Frankly I'd rather dig for the Iesope Drift/Ostia records or old Ant-Zen/Hymen, Vromb, etc, but that's me.
Iesope Drift! See there's a "dark/industrial" techno outfit I can get excited about.

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

chava wrote:
Lost to the Void wrote: Techno has an inherent darkness and abstraction to it anyway,
Says who? As you say that sound has become popular in the last decade, but it wasn't always that drab grey moody sound. The 90es was way more diverse and colourful IMO.
Not talking about that particular Berlin driven dark and drab sound here, am talking generically.

Historically if we ignore the soul laden early Detroit, there has always been a cold, machine like darkness underlying techno throughout its history.
Obviously techno is malleable, melodic, sunny, minimal, it takes many forms, but the abstraction of darker or harder techno not unusual or new in its history.
Dark tracks are not unusual to hear in any set basically. I've always had an attraction to the darker abstract stuff and there has always been plenty around in the 20 years I've dug techno.
New Shit

Doombrain
tense

Post by Doombrain »

Lost to the Void wrote:Drone techno is what you are talking about.

Dark industrial techno is.....dark, forboding, doomladen, difficult and sometimes disturbing, the industrial element is the key there.

As a genre, dark techno really became a "thing" in the early 00`s with the spanish sound sort of coming out of the Birmingham sound, there was also the Slovak sound which was a little more percussive and harder, but still part of the sub genre.
Gunjack, Grovskopa, Mulero, Surgeon, Regis, Female, Obscurum, Supagrupa, DJ Boss, Toky and Lotkibrada, Archae, Makaton, Carlos Rios, Vin iLL, Reeko.......... More I can`t be assed to type.
That sound has made a resurgence, and takes the form of the drone techno you seem to be referencing.
I mean sure, it`s dark if you compare it to Justin Bieber records, but to most techno people, it`s just techno.
Techno has an inherent darkness and abstraction to it anyway, so to call something dark techno it has to be pretty fuckin messed up.
I have gone through a few of the name drops there which seem to be pretty decent cheers.

A couple of highlights which I liked are:

youtu.be/mzwAC_Am0bI

youtu.be/NN94cq5hcGI

Although I will agree with you in respect that the above is not particularly dark and when comparing to the first suggestions of industrial techno artists such as the "Ant Zen" when listening for sound on sound, the mood is definitely lighter for the drone type. Not to take away from the above though which are punchy.