Other music you done

General Chat // Music Discussion
MattAltmanMusic
Face Hugger
Re: Other music you done

Post by MattAltmanMusic »

I used to be in a ska band in high school. I was the drummer, and we recorded one EP pretty much about nothing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qzjec9GV52w
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FUvVVb88X3Y
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bAOsKJLWLgM

terly
arsehole

Post by terly »

In the past I've done all sorts of stuff, bands, experimental improvised sound art, power electronics, plunderphonics, and so on.

More recently I had a project that started out as psychedelic dub and ended up ambient. Here is a track from one of our releases:

Aurongroove
pregnant

Post by Aurongroove »

winston wrote:wow, you sound zany as fuck. kickstarting music is for shit. it reeks of non-belief and desperation. make your music and either cover the expense yourself or find someone to cover the expense in exchange for a %. don't beg for pennies and then pretend you're giving out some worthwhile product as if a digital download is some precious commodity. 40euros for a vinyl. bolt mate.
seems ireland has just as many pretentious wanks as Scotland does.
a self-described "band of lunacy-loving mates". modern-talk for cunts.

wasted my time watching that video to be honest. was some late-90's Gay Dad-tier art school pish.
Feel free to use this thread as an excuse to share any of yours
how gracious of you.
Thought I'd deal with this one first.

First off here's a song lyric from 1965
While he who talks with his tongue on fire
gargles in the rat race choir
Bent out of shape from society's pliers
Cares not to come up any higher
But drag you down in the hole that he's in

But I mean no harm
nor put fault
On anyone,
Who lives inside a vault
But it's alright Ma, if I can't please him
in other words "haters gonna hate"
Think about that last line of those lyrics mate, your post didn't make me angry or sad, it just sounded predictable enough to be summed up and dismissed by a songwriter more then half a century ago (and more recently as a concise meme).
Nobody is impressed by your cynicism (correction; nobody I would seek to 'please' with this music, is impressed).
Stop letting the bad wolf win dude.

Sorry to 'put a daisy in your rifle barrel', but you're post, just... didn't even have a fraction of the effect you though it might, and I'm almost cringing on your behalf for how confidently written and effectively destructive I believe you think it was compared to the sympathy with which I read it.

Come to one of our shows, or come meet us; you've got the wrong impression. You've obviously got strong social prejudices against kickstarter, or against underfunded creativity or something (I dunno)
On a semantic note, even possibly extending to worse prejudices; I mean, "was some late-90's Gay Dad-tier art school pish"
what's in there? Agism? Homophobia? art school = crap?
Like... I'll take it in good faith that was your attempt at "deftly insulting the video" (I hope it was!), rather then you actually believing being Gay, or actually being "dad aged" or actually being "in art school" signifies "therefore is crap".

You realize there are gay people in the world today that are being tortured and executed for their sexual orientation?

Do you know what the suicide rates for "dad aged" Males are in Ireland these passed few years??

The world needs honesty, positivity and expression man. Jump on board, your cynicism has no power here, and I offer you hugs, WITH, Gay Dad-tier warmth.

P.S. The 40 euros is a pledge, It's not a 'shop', it's a Kickstarter.

...and the reward is vinyl and merchandise and all other formats.
Last edited by Aurongroove on Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:50 am, edited 2 times in total.
I'm Hilarious

Some professional mastering engineers use multi-band compressors.

Aurongroove
pregnant

Post by Aurongroove »

Phew, now that that's behind me

Hey, I actually forgot I posted this!!
I wrote it out after a session, but I thought I didn't hit send.

Anyways, if I were following the thread, my responses would have went something like;

@ Hades.
Too fat to sit in the chair, the fat ugly, paint splattered PRICK! :D
Strangely, in the recorded version I do nothing.
In the live version I sing harmonies and play Kazoo.
(may eventually learn an approximation of the guitar riff)

@ The_G
haha! nice stuff.
It's SUCH a medium for cassette, that kinda velvety 90's warble.
I have a (sadly now broken) Tascam 4-track for putting stuff on tapes.

@rktik
I know a guy who's making a really fucking long atmosphereic book thing, and he's asked me to help almost EXACTLY this kind of stuff for him.
Can I have your contact details? (email will be fine) in case it turns out that I'm shit and I need to give the job to someone who can actually do it properly?
Or even if we just need your actual, cold-hard engineering and experience in "assembling" it, it'd be such a weight of my back knowing I knew SOMEONE who has experience.

@ msl
that's sweet.
I might grab it.

@MAttAltmanMusic
Do you still gig occasionally? if so what region?

@terly
I like how meaty the sound is!
I'm Hilarious

rktic
Utter Cunt

Post by rktic »

Hi Aurongroove,

you've got PM.

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

delphine wrote:
Aside from the points above, cassettes are also ridiculously cheap to produce. The format definitely compliments some types of music.
digital is cheap to produce.
and I have no idea about prices, but my guess is that CD's are still fairly cheap to produce as well, no ?
Sin cambios no hay mariposa

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

@aurongroove : you totally dealt with that in a gentleman's fashion.
I take my hat off to you for that !

if you keep it up with that much positive energy, Stace promised to send you her unicorn strap-on,
I've been told you get to see all the colors of the rainbow with it ! :D ;)

bounduk
Exampleless

Post by bounduk »

I used to make 140 dubsteppy stuff, played a few gigs round Europe, played on Rinse and Kiss and stuff but kinda found myself falling out of the kinda stuff that scene was moving towards.

block.punch
Sith Lord

Post by block.punch »

Jesus, here goes.....

We did the lot on these ones. Music from me.
youtu.be/ubl4-bsGEtw

youtu.be/OP-OjKt864E

youtu.be/uVWAsQqtue0
I'm the one with the beard.

Aurongroove
pregnant

Post by Aurongroove »

@ Hades,
Yeah CD's are quite inexpensive, but nothing compares to Digital.
With digital you're essentially dealing with infinite copies for a small set price.
I'm Hilarious

Aurongroove
pregnant

Post by Aurongroove »

@block.punch

haha. I find this stuff gas, I have a friend who has just started doing this kinda stuff.

Out of it's context the Kissaki Method one, is kinda trippy!
I'm Hilarious

MattAltmanMusic
Face Hugger

Aurongroove wrote:Phew, now that that's behind me

Hey, I actually forgot I posted this!!
I wrote it out after a session, but I thought I didn't hit send.

Anyways, if I were following the thread, my responses would have went something like;

@ Hades.
Too fat to sit in the chair, the fat ugly, paint splattered PRICK! :D
Strangely, in the recorded version I do nothing.
In the live version I sing harmonies and play Kazoo.
(may eventually learn an approximation of the guitar riff)

@ The_G
haha! nice stuff.
It's SUCH a medium for cassette, that kinda velvety 90's warble.
I have a (sadly now broken) Tascam 4-track for putting stuff on tapes.

@rktik
I know a guy who's making a really fucking long atmosphereic book thing, and he's asked me to help almost EXACTLY this kind of stuff for him.
Can I have your contact details? (email will be fine) in case it turns out that I'm shit and I need to give the job to someone who can actually do it properly?
Or even if we just need your actual, cold-hard engineering and experience in "assembling" it, it'd be such a weight of my back knowing I knew SOMEONE who has experience.

@ msl
that's sweet.
I might grab it.

@MAttAltmanMusic
Do you still gig occasionally? if so what region?

@terly
I like how meaty the sound is!
I do not unfortunately :/... Had a massive falling out with my instrument and switched to Techno full time.

delphine
Suspect Handshake

Post by delphine »

Hades wrote:
delphine wrote:
Aside from the points above, cassettes are also ridiculously cheap to produce. The format definitely compliments some types of music.
digital is cheap to produce.
and I have no idea about prices, but my guess is that CD's are still fairly cheap to produce as well, no ?
sure, nothing's cheaper than bandcamp ofc. if you want to put out music physically, cassette is an option that certain types of music can benefit from without high production costs and an already dedicated following depending on the type of music.

Aurongroove
pregnant

Post by Aurongroove »

MattAltmanMusic wrote:I do not unfortunately :/... Had a massive falling out with my instrument and switched to Techno full time.
HAHAAHA fuck!!
I know the feeling (I have previously fallen out with instruments).

Also our drummer knows the feeling.
He's developed a psychological phobia of performing, and doesn't want to play drums anymore, and has left the band and is now on medication for depression.
We're kinda fucked actually LOL.
I'm Hilarious

MattAltmanMusic
Face Hugger

Aurongroove wrote:
MattAltmanMusic wrote:I do not unfortunately :/... Had a massive falling out with my instrument and switched to Techno full time.
HAHAAHA fuck!!
I know the feeling (I have previously fallen out with instruments).

Also our drummer knows the feeling.
He's developed a psychological phobia of performing, and doesn't want to play drums anymore, and has left the band and is now on medication for depression.
We're kinda fucked actually LOL.
That's tough man I'm sorry to hear that! My issue was never the performance but more so the musicians I was surrounded by and other mental blocks. It's hard when everyone just wants to show off all the time... it's tough to actually play music

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

MattAltmanMusic wrote: It's hard when everyone just wants to show off all the time... it's tough to actually play music
I usually just had this issue with drummers.
Whenever I was in a band, the drummers were always the fucking worst.
You'd be having a quick stop to discuss things, and they were always the type to keep on playing and showing off their (mostly only mediocre) skills...

fucking loved it when I discovered you didn't need other people to make electronic music.
Which doesn't mean I'm not in for collabs, I am convinced that a good team will create better stuff than just a single person, but I'm just happy I don't have to deal with ego's anymore if I don't want to.

Aurongroove
pregnant

Post by Aurongroove »

MattAltmanMusic wrote:That's tough man I'm sorry to hear that! My issue was never the performance but more so the musicians I was surrounded by and other mental blocks. It's hard when everyone just wants to show off all the time... it's tough to actually play music

The guy out of 'The Band' (as in of, Bob Dylan, and 'Take a Load of Annie' fame) came up with the best rule of thumb for playing in a band I've ever heard,

He said something like, "there was a lot of Egos in a band but we all played together well, and the rule we played by, is you gotta be a 'Cat',

and how a cat works is,

Cats like to show off

and Cats make room for other Cats"

And I have never heard a better way of putting how you ought to behave in a band, session, gig, whatever.
and it DOES work, you get people stepping back when someone like "has it".
When someone has that "I got this" or "I'm hungry for this" air about them, be it a solo, a backing rhythm. You let them take it because they got it, and you just gotta give them the room.
And it's easier and more natural then you might think to "make room" for someone musically, and when you do, well, damn; that's you playing together isn't it?

Then, if someone whats to step forward too often for these solo spaces, or taking too much of the backing on themselves (fucking loud strummers!!), well they're not making room for anyone, so they're not a cat.

It's a handy one to use when you play with either overzealous 'new guy' soloists ("I MUST impress these people with blistering solos at every tiny opportunity or else they'll not let me in their group").

Or with 'new guy' insensitive-rhythm player ("OH, I KNOW this song!, I will strum loud enough to 'lead' the rhythm section so everyone will know what to play by playing along to me, and the singer can relax an concentrate on the words),

Meanwhile little does insensitive-rhythm player realize the singer performing the song with an intentional slightly different rhythmic feel, and this guy has literally just shat all over it by playing his version too strongly, and robbing the rhythm section of any breathing space or space to correct him/show his the subtle difference.
I'm Hilarious

Mattias
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Mattias »

Aurongroove wrote:
Sorry to 'put a daisy in your rifle barrel', but you're post, just... didn't even have a fraction of the effect you though it might, and I'm almost cringing on your behalf for how confidently written and effectively destructive I believe you think it was compared to the sympathy with which I read it.

You nailed it sir. Hehe.
Music Page: http://www.facebook.com/Mattias.Fridell.Music
Soundcloud: http://soundcloud.com/fridell
Sample packs: http://mfsamples.bandcamp.com

Contention / 005

MattAltmanMusic
Face Hugger

Aurongroove wrote:
MattAltmanMusic wrote:That's tough man I'm sorry to hear that! My issue was never the performance but more so the musicians I was surrounded by and other mental blocks. It's hard when everyone just wants to show off all the time... it's tough to actually play music

The guy out of 'The Band' (as in of, Bob Dylan, and 'Take a Load of Annie' fame) came up with the best rule of thumb for playing in a band I've ever heard,

He said something like, "there was a lot of Egos in a band but we all played together well, and the rule we played by, is you gotta be a 'Cat',

and how a cat works is,

Cats like to show off

and Cats make room for other Cats"

And I have never heard a better way of putting how you ought to behave in a band, session, gig, whatever.
and it DOES work, you get people stepping back when someone like "has it".
When someone has that "I got this" or "I'm hungry for this" air about them, be it a solo, a backing rhythm. You let them take it because they got it, and you just gotta give them the room.
And it's easier and more natural then you might think to "make room" for someone musically, and when you do, well, damn; that's you playing together isn't it?

Then, if someone whats to step forward too often for these solo spaces, or taking too much of the backing on themselves (fucking loud strummers!!), well they're not making room for anyone, so they're not a cat.

It's a handy one to use when you play with either overzealous 'new guy' soloists ("I MUST impress these people with blistering solos at every tiny opportunity or else they'll not let me in their group").

Or with 'new guy' insensitive-rhythm player ("OH, I KNOW this song!, I will strum loud enough to 'lead' the rhythm section so everyone will know what to play by playing along to me, and the singer can relax an concentrate on the words),

Meanwhile little does insensitive-rhythm player realize the singer performing the song with an intentional slightly different rhythmic feel, and this guy has literally just shat all over it by playing his version too strongly, and robbing the rhythm section of any breathing space or space to correct him/show his the subtle difference.
Most of them definitely weren't cats. They were overzealous... rarely made room for anyone else.

Aurongroove
pregnant

Post by Aurongroove »

Mattias wrote:You nailed it sir. Hehe.
That first track on your soundcloud sig, is a FUCKING BOMB!!

Most of them definitely weren't cats. They were overzealous... rarely made room for anyone else.
:lol:
It happens so often
I'm Hilarious