Thinking about making music

General Chat // Music Discussion
Merah
arsehole
Thinking about making music

Post by Merah »

So your away somewhere in the real world, dealing or not dealing with the mundane or difficult, your mind wanders over to that sweet thing called music creation and it breathes a sigh of relief as you remember about the last project you were working on, that cool fx chain you created and how your sound is becoming more defined. What could i do to move forward with that
track and why do i suck at fills... oh! The wonders...

Its seems music production is a great playground for the ever restless an perfection seeking mind.

Not sure where im going with this but would like to hear your thoughts...
Creativity is not a technique, it is a way of life.

Alume
Confetti
Re: Thinking about making music

Post by Alume »

Man, its a blessing and a curse.

terly
arsehole

Post by terly »

I used to get a lot of ideas while walking around and doing random things and I couldn't wait to get home to try to manifest them, but then the ideas would somehow slip away and I'd be left at square one.

These days I just get the sense of "oh, I have inspiration now" without actually hearing a track in my head, and then I can start making something. Sometimes I work without "inspiration" and some nice sounds come out anyway.

delphine
Suspect Handshake

Post by delphine »

terly wrote:I used to get a lot of ideas while walking around and doing random things and I couldn't wait to get home to try to manifest them, but then the ideas would somehow slip away and I'd be left at square one.
That's why I write them down.

Will Frances
Gnasher

Post by Will Frances »

I have a multitude of thoughts on this, I could probably write a good 20k word essay and still be little closer to understanding what it is that pulls me back each time. Love hate comes to mind a lot. When your up your up and when your down your down. I go through waves of production focus for a week or so at a time, be it drum programming, melodic content, kick bass relations and so on... its never far from my mind, tho recently I've begain to understand the value of distance and kind of re formatting my ears and mind when AFK

Huck Farper
Alf Garnett

Post by Huck Farper »

Techno is like a few other genres.. too much refinement and it's total crap

Squill
non reader

Post by Squill »

terly wrote:I used to get a lot of ideas while walking around and doing random things and I couldn't wait to get home to try to manifest them, but then the ideas would somehow slip away and I'd be left at square one.

These days I just get the sense of "oh, I have inspiration now" without actually hearing a track in my head, and then I can start making something. Sometimes I work without "inspiration" and some nice sounds come out anyway.
I know these feelings all too well. Inspiration hits at random times and either you capture it or let it slip. Caffeine can help sometimes or just doing random sound design sessions and seeing what comes out. Wish I can get some of the ideas that just pop randomly in my head through the day when I'm not at the workstation.

intrusav
Rolf Harris

Post by intrusav »

I actually found myself beat boxing an idea into my phone once cos it was in my head.
I was pissed and it was rubbish, haha!

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

intrusav wrote:I actually found myself beat boxing an idea into my phone once cos it was in my head.

did that once with a counter melody as well,
actually worked fine afterwards, but didn't use it in the end.

At the moment I sleep pretty bad, so I wake up a lot (like 6 or 7 times a night, fucking sucks)
I just got Netflix recently and watched Narcos, which of course has a lot of Latin music in it.
One night I dreamed up a whole latino-ish song, every time I woke up I had another part in my head,
and I was really excited about it, but refused to get up to record anything because otherwise I wouldn't be able to fall back asleep (and I kept coming up with new parts every time I slept again anyway),
Last time I woke up, it was all still there. When my morning coffee arrived, it was all gone.
Fucking hell...

This has happened before, but never so detailed like that night.
Sin cambios no hay mariposa

Merah
arsehole

Post by Merah »

Will Frances wrote:I have a multitude of thoughts on this, I could probably write a good 20k word essay and still be little closer to understanding what it is that pulls me back each time. Love hate comes to mind a lot. When your up your up and when your down your down. I go through waves of production focus for a week or so at a time, be it drum programming, melodic content, kick bass relations and so on... its never far from my mind, tho recently I've begain to understand the value of distance and kind of re formatting my ears and mind when AFK
Yes, distance for the win

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

Merah wrote:
Will Frances wrote:I have a multitude of thoughts on this, I could probably write a good 20k word essay and still be little closer to understanding what it is that pulls me back each time. Love hate comes to mind a lot. When your up your up and when your down your down. I go through waves of production focus for a week or so at a time, be it drum programming, melodic content, kick bass relations and so on... its never far from my mind, tho recently I've begain to understand the value of distance and kind of re formatting my ears and mind when AFK
Yes, distance for the win

some times I just don't have a choice and I gotta take some time off.
When I really do decide to finish a track, after a few days I get so sick of the track that I just gotta stop for a few days.
I can't work on multiple tracks if I'm really into this "finish the track" mode.

Merah
arsehole

Post by Merah »

@Hades, if i ever decide to finish a track its usually a sure sign im forcing things and the end result will sound as such. Hard thing to learn.

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

finishing a track is always a gentle way to force yourself.
if you don't do that, you just never end with finished tracks at all and you'll always just stay inside the magic creative moment.

nothing wrong with that if that's what you want, but I'm well past that point where that was the only thing that satisfied me.
I just wanna finish a track once in a while...

Will Frances
Gnasher

Post by Will Frances »

Hades wrote:I just wanna finish a track once in a while...
Couldn't agree more with your post, I've forced loads of tracks to the finish line, it's a fine line between lazy 'I'm not feeling it' and creativity 'I'm not feeling it' I've found . I've been scared to touch many things in case they get washed away because I couldn't bring it all together in the end

jordanneke
subsekt
subsekt

Post by jordanneke »

I have to admit that I wake up sometimes with fully formed pop songs in my head. Lyrics the lot.

Weird.

jacksonick
reverse genius

Post by jacksonick »

You're subconscious is giving you a clear message here; "Fuck all this obscure house music shit that only 10 people like, LETS MAKE SOME MONEY".

intrusav
Rolf Harris

Post by intrusav »

jacksonick wrote:You're subconscious is giving you a clear message here; "Fuck all this obscure house music shit that only 10 people like, LETS MAKE SOME MONEY".
Don't be a dick....

Will Frances
Gnasher

Post by Will Frances »

intrusav wrote:
jacksonick wrote:You're subconscious is giving you a clear message here; "Fuck all this obscure house music shit that only 10 people like, LETS MAKE SOME MONEY".
Don't be a dick....
Ha ha ha ha

Merah
arsehole

Post by Merah »

Hades wrote:finishing a track is always a gentle way to force yourself.
if you don't do that, you just never end with finished tracks at all and you'll always just stay inside the magic creative moment.

nothing wrong with that if that's what you want, but I'm well past that point where that was the only thing that satisfied me.
I just wanna finish a track once in a while...
Having thought about this a bit more i realised i do actually quite often come to a point in my tracks where theres not much left to do but finish the damn thing.
Normally its when ive basically ginished the track already and just need to tie some loose ends.

What used to happen a lot and still does although im learning to recognise when it happens is that id set out on these monolith misdions to write an EP in a few days or something... it rarely worked out well.

Nowadays i like to approach things with from the Zen perspective, where there is only the present moment therefore finishing it doesnt even come into the equation. Think about a bird that sings each morning, im sure it has no concern to ginish its song.

bounduk
Exampleless

Post by bounduk »

intrusav wrote:I actually found myself beat boxing an idea into my phone once cos it was in my head.
Haha I do this kind of thing a lot.