Making multiple genres = more creativity or less focus?

General Chat // Music Discussion
TimBuys
happy bastard
Making multiple genres = more creativity or less focus?

Post by TimBuys »

I wanna get some opinions on something I have been thinking about. Lately I had a lot of thoughts about making a synthwave and/or (80/90s stye) hiphop track next to my current techno projects (working on about 6 tracks atm). Though what prevented me from doing so was the fact that I still feel like I have a long way to go before I can feel somewhat happy about my own tracks. I also feel like "specializing" in one style might be better for the long run. Is there anyone here that makes multiple genres that can give me some insight in this matter? Obviously, I produce for fun, but I take getting better at this very seriously!

tsaro
Lifer
Re: Making multiple genres = more creativity or less focus?

Post by tsaro »

Ideally I'd say just go where your mood takes you, if a moment of inspiration hits you run with it. Whether it'll turn into techno or romanian accordion music, getting into that flow is just the most fun you're gonna have creating music. And when lacking inspiration just run with whatever comes up while fucking around that creates a spark.....
You could also try starting with a concept of what you want to do, and then work according to that (trying to fit everything you do into that framework), but to me that would seem a little boring, killing off any vibe you might have before it even exists. Then again, there's probably loads of people working like that and creating inspired works of art, whlle I'm just messing about here making noise that's all over the place.
Though I find it quite fun to work like this, just found some old guitar recordings I did (more than 10 years ago) and now I'm making some (shitty) punk track :P
how far do you want to go

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Lost to the Void »

Do whatever feels right at the time
I make all sorts of shit as not all my ideas fit in techno.
Some pseudonyms getting released, other stuff I just do for the sake of it.
I think you learn a lot making other music and your skills get much better being able to deal with a variety of scenarios.
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

The_G
Artificial Hazard

Post by The_G »

I find it really helpful for me. I'm a bit scatterbrained by nature (a "multitasker" if we are being generous; attention deficit disorder if we are not), so being able to switch from one logic to another keeps me fresh and from getting into a rut.

I also use two DAWs for the same reason...I often find that switching to a different framework can get the creativity juices flowing when they are not.

But of course this is very personal. Others might not do well with this approach.

terly
arsehole

Post by terly »

No need to be one dimensional although you might find that you get more attention for certain genres or that your efforts in less familiar territory don't seem as authentic. I think it's important to have a broad range though.

intrusav
Rolf Harris

Post by intrusav »

Yeah, if you come up with something that catches your ear, run with it and let it take it's own direction.

It's defeatist at times to try and force it into the 'techno' box and it can get frustrating to try and get it to fit that mould. Just let it develop and throw ideas at it.
You can always come back to it after and figure out what elements might work in a techno track and build it up again with that in mind. Some people can take that direct approach but I find it more enjoyable just to let things flow, like an open book, no rules.

I find you learn a bit more just balancing out sounds against each other without any notion of genre, just letting them work together and bounce off each other.
Looking at other genres can inform things to, finding where the focus is.

(I should really start following my own advice some more!!!)

msl
║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█

Post by msl »

Bit of both. Way more interesting and creative to not limit yourself though. Obviously you focus less, and its maybe not ideal if your trying to make a name for yourself... people like simple shit, but fuck em.
www.bernadettetrax.bandcamp.com
www.soundcloud.com/michaellovatt

“Once men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free. But that only permitted other men with machines to enslave them.” Dune

Koichi
Wastedddd

Post by Koichi »

I work in 3 projects - 2 collabs, one solo. Definitely can't make only one genre or style. Each week I feel enthused or sick of one or another of the projects - last week hating the monotony of same sounds and ideas in contemporary techno music - this week loving it and inspired and enthused again!Maybe I'm just a fickle cunt. Also, collabing with other artists I learn so much about my own way of working and from others techniques and ethic.

[wesellboxes]
Q33 NY

Post by [wesellboxes] »

I listen to all kinds of music so it's kind of natural that I'll at least dabble in all kinds of music. I hit the same quandary as yourself in that my Soundcloud page had industrial techno sitting next to re-edits of 80's pop songs. I then tried two separate pages but realised that my completion rate doesn't merit that and nobody listens anyway. I'm just focusing on one now and so be it.

That said, I do love a label or an artist where the "branding" (sorry for the wank term) is bang on and there's consistency across releases, the artwork, the mood and so on.

Edit: Just to add, as a hobbyist producer you should always try out new genres and jam with whatever you're feeling at the time. Even the masters will have hard disks full of nonsense that will never realised but you might just stumble upon one thing that you can add to a 'proper' production. All the best art is from happy accidents, regardless the medium, and to hit these it's a case of write, write, write.

jordanneke
subsekt
subsekt

Post by jordanneke »

I switch between techno and house, but the line between them is quite blurred, so my 'skills' can fairly easily swap between them.

I LOVE rave/jungle/ DnB, but the processing of breaks is so difficult for me, that I'm not able to do anything but the absolute basics and it feels like I'm taking 20 steps backward. So I tend not to do it very often.

Kromasome
arsehole

Post by Kromasome »

The_G wrote:
I also use two DAWs for the same reason...I often find that switching to a different framework can get the creativity juices flowing when they are not.
I just dusted off Cubase again for this reason (normally use Ableton) - just having to think differently about getting sounds into the project can be enough to make something a bit more interesting than normal.

I also just changed my default template in Ableton to try to freshen things up - will see how that goes...

I also dabble in some downtempo atmospheric stuff that some of my friends call "Doom-step" - heavy dark programmed drums with some distorted guitars and layers of "real" drums (EZDrummer) - I find doing this for a while makes me feel more refreshed when I get back techno/house

Squill
non reader

Post by Squill »

Definitely more creativity for sure. Also I learn other production tricks by going outside my comfort zone. Also for me making one genre, all the time, can get a bit monotonous, gotta mix it up

td3l
reverse genius

Post by td3l »

It's hard to say. It really depends on what your goals are.

What does "getting better" at making music mean to you? How you define that will affect the answer to your original question. Being "good" at making music (or any form of art) is as much about discovering what you truly want to create as it is improving your technical chops. Will diverging into synthwave help you along that path, or will it just be a distraction? And if it's the latter: are you okay with that, or will it make you feel frustrated?

I spent a lot of my formative production years in a relative degree of frustration because I hadn't yet figured out where my heart was musically centered--I was writing stuff that was pretty spread out across the board without a lot of cohesion. Like you, I also felt like I had a long way to go before I could feel happy about my tracks. At the time I thought it was my chops holding me back, but in hindsight they were just fine. It was ultimately experiences I had outside of the studio which gave me the right inspiration to make things click and fall into place.

Not trying to discourage you, just trying to offer a different perspective.

Vorlis
hunger marcher

Post by Vorlis »

jordanneke wrote:I LOVE rave/jungle/ DnB, but the processing of breaks is so difficult for me, that I'm not able to do anything but the absolute basics and it feels like I'm taking 20 steps backward. So I tend not to do it very often.
You have a Machinedrum Jordan, right? Load that puppy with some breaks you like then cut and p-lock the balls clean outa them :D A few tracks for cleanish loops/cuts and a few for mangled/effected and your bound to pull somthin ya dig. LFO with a square to the start an end points is fun!

innovine
hmmmmmm...

Post by innovine »

Switching genres will help round you out and improve your overall artistry. Nothing wrong with switching genres, but just make sure that you are finishing a track before moving on. It's easy to use genre-hopping as an excuse to avoid finishing up your current work, and you can end up with loads of half-done tracks.

Snarf
Exampleless

Post by Snarf »

Make a new tune like the way you use too, but take away like 30-20 bpm from your favorite tempo and see were it leads you.

frozen hands
Interact. Don't Spam.

Post by frozen hands »

i mainly make dark and experimental Techno ( Still on progression , no real releases yet ) , sometimes an idea hits me and i just follow the mood , i find myself creating Tech House , Deep House. but each project i make , i learn new skills , it's about earning knowledge and skills to produce different genres. So personally i find it more creativity.