What you do if you were playing a secret afterhours

General Chat // Music Discussion
sinesnsnares
Pig
Re: What you do if you were playing a secret afterhours

Post by sinesnsnares »

My experiences with after hours have been... Pretty Negative, barring one or two good nights. At least in Toronto. I'd tell a couple friends, but don't try and pull people who would rather not be there/only have fun on drugs.

And definitely don't be that guy that goes to a club night a few hours before the after hours opens and tells everyone.

jordanneke
subsekt
subsekt

Post by jordanneke »

[wesellboxes] wrote:
jordanneke wrote:Man, growing up in the midlands
Where in the Midlands? I used to go to DiY and Smokescreen free parties which were generally hassle free due to being in the middle of nowhere. They were still heavy on casualties and one did kick off with some thug bottling people and no security to sort it out. Ugly.

I also ended up at an afters in a warehouse in Birmingham and experienced what must of been the politest taxing ever ie they said thank you and left me enough money for a taxi :lol:
In Birmingham.

We used to hit up an afterhours place called Radius, a pub opposite the Dome. Man that place was rough. The police were going to stage a raid about 8am one morning. There were enough coppers to bring down a small country, but someone caused a diversion by ramming a car with a very fast BMW, and the coppers took off after them.

There was also a place round the corner called the Jester which was equally terrible.

Before that there was a place near the Ship Ashore, called Nosey Parkers. That place had a one-way mirrored gambling den which looked out on the dance floor. I was there when a goon robbed the takings and fled out the fire-escape. Man, there were some very unhappy 'gentlemen' there that night.

I never got into much trouble myself as I was pretty big back then.

terly
arsehole

Post by terly »

Vorlis wrote:Forgot to say it was a private Facebook event. Works well I think. The spot was getting raided every other week until all promo was done on a private event. Also a private group is another option. Build a following through the group and it lets you approve new members etc, keeping the clampits at bay :)
Yeah I was thinking of doing a private event if I were promoting the night as that's how it's usually done these days, but the guy who is running it wants no advertising at all, just pure word of mouth 1 or 2 days before the event to really limit the crowd. I just thought it might be disappointing if only 5 or 10 people show up but he said they are usually getting about 60.

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

terly wrote:
Vorlis wrote:Forgot to say it was a private Facebook event. Works well I think. The spot was getting raided every other week until all promo was done on a private event. Also a private group is another option. Build a following through the group and it lets you approve new members etc, keeping the clampits at bay :)
Yeah I was thinking of doing a private event if I were promoting the night as that's how it's usually done these days, but the guy who is running it wants no advertising at all, just pure word of mouth 1 or 2 days before the event to really limit the crowd. I just thought it might be disappointing if only 5 or 10 people show up but he said they are usually getting about 60.
want me to give word to that swingers crowd that once contacted me based on one of my tracks ? :D
Sin cambios no hay mariposa

jordanneke
subsekt
subsekt

Post by jordanneke »

Hades wrote:
terly wrote:
want me to give word to that swingers crowd that once contacted me based on one of my tracks ? :D
WHAT?

terly
arsehole

Post by terly »

Hades wrote:
terly wrote:
Well it's a concrete warehouse so not very comfortable for getting down unfortunately.

terly
arsehole

Post by terly »

Lost to the Void wrote:I would tell the police immediately.
I used to hire a psychic dude to keep the police away from my events. They never actually came in to any parties he was working, although they'd drive by. When the cops come now I just say it's a private event and promise to turn it down a bit and they leave.

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

jordanneke wrote:
Hades wrote:
WHAT?
about a year ago, I see some friendship request on FB from a lady I didn't think I know.
Checked her out, seemed to be nice person, so I thought maybe she knows me through some mutual friend,
blablabla... so I accepted.
A bit later I noticed I had a PM from her asking me if I was this person she knew from blablabla.
Since I'm not that much on FB, stupid FB doesn't always notify me when I have a new PM.
Anyway, we got chatting for a while,
she seemed like a great person, and a bit later I was part of her closed FB group (still didn't really worry me that much or anything)
anyway, she wanted to know where to buy one of my tracks.
I told her nothing was released yet, but if she really liked it so much, I could send it to her if she made some publicity for me (I had by then noticed she was quite an active FB person).
So I did, and she made one FB post and I had like 100 hits from Belgium on my SC page in 1 single day.
It's only later that it slowly became obvious that they organize swingers parties.

This is about all I will say about this on the internet. I'll tell you more in private.
But hey, if you're ever up for some change, I can put you into contact ! :D

Safe to say I never went to one of their parties yet though I always get the invites.
Nothing against them really. If people can have this in their relationship and still live happily ever after, then all the more power to them, but it would fuck with my mind too much.

Once in a while, when I'm bored, I wonder if at some moment in time, they were swinging on that track of mine. :D
Sin cambios no hay mariposa

Squill
non reader

Post by Squill »

terly wrote:
Lost to the Void wrote:I would tell the police immediately.
I used to hire a psychic dude to keep the police away from my events. They never actually came in to any parties he was working, although they'd drive by. When the cops come now I just say it's a private event and promise to turn it down a bit and they leave.
A psychic? xD Wish this worked in NY, outlaws back in the day would get shutdown immediately if there wasn't a cop hanging around the neighborhood

terly
arsehole

Post by terly »

Squill wrote:
A psychic? xD Wish this worked in NY, outlaws back in the day would get shutdown immediately if there wasn't a cop hanging around the neighborhood
I mean in retrospect it seems pretty harebrained but I used to be into some pretty weird shit.

terly
arsehole

Post by terly »

Do you mean a cop hanging out aligned with the party? I've been to many illegal parties in NYC and none of them have been shut down (I have heard of some getting shut down, but there were times I would be out and there would be two warehouses operating within a block of each other somewhere in Brooklyn)

Squill
non reader

Post by Squill »

terly wrote:Do you mean a cop hanging out aligned with the party? I've been to many illegal parties in NYC and none of them have been shut down (I have heard of some getting shut down, but there were times I would be out and there would be two warehouses operating within a block of each other somewhere in Brooklyn)
Yea payed off lolll this was somewhere around 2011 where a lot of them were getting shutdown. Especially one outdoor spot for the outlaws around Coney Island. Incredible space, but party promoters kept abusing it. Now some of the warehouse spaces in Brooklyn are getting shut cause of permits and such =\

terly
arsehole

Post by terly »

Squill wrote:
terly wrote:Do you mean a cop hanging out aligned with the party? I've been to many illegal parties in NYC and none of them have been shut down (I have heard of some getting shut down, but there were times I would be out and there would be two warehouses operating within a block of each other somewhere in Brooklyn)
mo

Yea payed off lolll this was somewhere around 2011 where a lot of them were getting shutdown. Especially one outdoor spot for the outlaws around Coney Island. Incredible space, but party promoters kept abusing it. Now some of the warehouse spaces in Brooklyn are getting shut cause of permits and such =\
Ah, I see. I was going out in NYC more from 2008-2010, so maybe I caught a good period before the crackdown started.

MattAltmanMusic
Face Hugger

Post by MattAltmanMusic »

Leave it up to the promoters and word of mouth. Never want these types of things to get shut down