What do you guys think about this?

General Chat // Music Discussion
The_G
Artificial Hazard
What do you guys think about this?

Post by The_G »

One of the guys involved in this site posted about it in my synthwave fb group. It's basically a demo portal. For labels and producers, it promises to make the process of receiving/sending out demo tracks easier to manage. So yeah...neat idea.

https://proshare.audio

But I'm finding the lack of information on the site or its Facebook page, as well as the lack of testimonials or reviews, kind of disconcerting. Giving the benefit of the doubt, that might simply because the service is super new. But without having a clue as to whether it works or not, I'm hesitant to use the service (even though it's free).

What do you guys think? Especially those of you who have been around the block a few times and know the professional market better than i do.

terly
arsehole
Re: What do you guys think about this?

Post by terly »

I would be pretty hesitant abou any service that is suppposed to streamline getting your music signed. Who is going to use this on the receiving end?

terly
arsehole

Post by terly »

If it's open to anyone, any label that signed up to receive demos would be opening the floodgates.

The_G
Artificial Hazard

Post by The_G »

In theory it's a good idea--all submissions come in via a centralized system, allowing labels and producers to each keep track of stuff. I've used similar services in other fields, and if the system also allows you to provide feedback on time-to-response, % of demos accepted within past 30, 60 or 365 days, and so forth, it can be very helpful as a resource.

(And pretty much anyone can send demos via email anyway.)

What sketches me out is the lack of information. No testimonials, no public statements of support for the platform, no reviews--no coverage at all. So if I upload my music, how do I know it's even going to the right place, or if it is, if the label even checks its account regularly?

terly
arsehole

Post by terly »

My impression is that not many labels would use this service. Most labels ignore emailed demos too. There is more than enough music floating around waiting to be signed. Even the small label I am part of gets more than enough demos via regular avenues already.

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Lost to the Void »

Pretty much what SoundCloud was at the beginning. When you could inbox tracks to labels and stuff.

This seems to unspecific to me. Any label that is so inundated it needs to centralise it's demo process is a label I don`t want to deal with.
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

terly
arsehole

Post by terly »

You can still inbox tracks directly to labels on SoundCloud and quite a few still take demos that way. I sometimes wish I'd been more active on SoundCloud in its heyday.

Kromasome
arsehole

Post by Kromasome »

terly wrote:You can still inbox tracks directly to labels on SoundCloud and quite a few still take demos that way. I sometimes wish I'd been more active on SoundCloud in its heyday.
In all seriousness (ie this is not a rhetorical question), if SC has had its heyday what other avenues are there for developing relationships with labels for someone like me who has a very limited social media profile? Obviously there is email and contact forms they might have on their site, but what else is there other than the usuals (twitter, FB, insta)?

Also due to where I live and the lack of a 'scene' - it's hard for me to meet label owners in person (even in Perth there are very few "techno" labels that I know of)

And sorry - I don't know anything about proshare or anything similar to it.

MattAltmanMusic
Face Hugger

Post by MattAltmanMusic »

I JUST checked this out the other day... seems a little sketchy, but there are return times for some of the labels. I doubt the service takes precedent over emails and Soundcloud submissions though.