has the internet sanitised and denuded techno?

General Chat // Music Discussion
jordanneke
subsekt
subsekt
Re: has the internet sanitised and denuded techno?

Post by jordanneke »

Lost to the Void wrote:
jordanneke wrote:Does it really matter what other people that you've never met call something?

I mean, where does house end and techno begin. Where does techno end and industrial begin?

A rose by any other name would smell as sweet.
House and techno... Hard to distinguish.
But industrial and techno... Worlds apart.
Industrial music comes from a philosophy of not doing what is done.
So any techno that claims to be industrial isn't. It might be influenced, but it isn't industrial.
And I don't remove the more industrial influenced stuff I make from that statement.
If I made true industrial music it would not be mixable or appropriate in a techno context.

Erm.... So there.

Thereby proving my point that people not really knowing what a genre is is of little importance to those who know what their chosen genre is.....

or something like that....

Pelecaras
Lifer

Post by Pelecaras »

Lost to the Void wrote:
Maybe you just have a narrow interpretation of what techno is.
Well there's no arguing with that......I DO have a very narrow view of techno.

I'm ashamed to say that there's been a few times I've had a real go at DJs for not playing what I believed should be played, I have always been a fascist cunt when it comes to techno. I have my interpretation and I am immovable in my view.
Like I say I'm not proud of it and I was an arrogant twat in my younger years.
FUCK-WIT

mindflex
washable

Post by mindflex »

I owned this on vinyl before ever using an internet browser or owning a mobile phone
https://youtu.be/X1zCVvxChFs

I would say, techno is a lot more refined these days. It has adaptability and strong a survival instinct.
Techno is dead

Long live Techno

The_G
Artificial Hazard

Post by The_G »

Lost to the Void wrote:UK, techno mixes were quite different to the US, purely Detroit based stuff and some said the same thing.
There was more variety in the UK sound, taking in more german stuff, dutch stuff, UK trance that was also techno.
It was no different in the late 90s. You had the very a wide swing within techno, from Chris cowie doing a very smooth melodic sound edging towards trance and house, right through to drizzly music releases the hardest of schranze.
There has always been a smearing between house and techno. A lot of Detroit techno DJs would put jacking Chicago house in to their sets. People like Paul Mac and Ben Sims have always done this, as has Carl Cox etc.
I've never been a fan of hard-and-fast genre definitions, which sort of assume that styles of music are definable. But if one looks at the early history, it's clear that these definitions were imposed later on.

All the Chicago and Detroit guys used to trade records back in the 80s. They also spun disco, Kraftwerk, New Order, sped-up Parliament, electro, Italo, Prince, etc. At that time, techno and house were more scenes than cohesive styles of music. Inner City is much closer to what we think of as house than techno, and jacking house is, I'd argue, more similar to what we call techno today than what we call house. A lot is percussive, minimalist, stripped down and hard-edged. There are almost no samples, outside percussive vocal samples, and a ton of synths in angular patterns. All stuff we categorize as "techno" rather than "house."

Will Frances
Gnasher
Re: has the internet sanitised and denuded techno?a

Post by Will Frances »

Pelecaras wrote:
Will Frances wrote:You sound quite elitist, cross pollination and bastardisation has been around from before humans existed. Mass consumption or bubble to the surface success will always distort people's perception, especially in a 'tag' conscious world where everyone needs to put something in a box to compartmentalise and digest it
I'm elitist as fuck!!!!!
what could be wrong with that?

Ha ha ha... and proud. brilliant I respect your honesty

Kromasome
arsehole

Post by Kromasome »

The misinformation presented as truth on the internet only feeds the idiots that I have to converse with most days at work whenever they hear a track that has a drum machine and no words ("what's this shit druggy techno crap??")

It's fair enough if they don't like it, but all the cliche responses/comments they feel entitled to make on techno/electronic music really shits me to tears. Makes for some fun times when I start making fun of "their" music, but they will always outnumber me, so in the end it's a tough (but fun) battle.

The mislabeling of genres is only going to get worse if you ask me.