Ilian Tape

General Chat // Music Discussion
collide
Smore
Ilian Tape

Post by collide »

Hey guys!

It seems like everybody loves this label and their sound.
I don't dislike it all but I'm also not totally hyped about their sound. BIG drums and melodies but I miss the attention to detail - of course noone cares about details in the club.
What's your point of view?
Maybe show me some releases your are very much into.

https://iliantape.bandcamp.com/

Alume
Confetti
Re: Ilian Tape

Post by Alume »

A so there is some hype around the aye?

I was there 2 years ago, so badassly on top of the scene i was back then.

-----

I think its cool, the sound was fresh at the time havent listened to them in a long while.

collide
Smore

Post by collide »

I meant that hype back then.
I wanted to bring up the topic like this: everybody loves a certain sound and I just can't get it.

8-)

Mono-xID
Uumfääng

Post by Mono-xID »

I don't care. Not my cup of beer.
http://soundcloud.com/monoxid

Behringer = ARTS label of synths

Resin
Pig

Post by Resin »

I like what they are doing. And I also respect them a lot for operating from Munich, which is not famous for its Techno scene. I think they're contributing a lot to their local scene. So thumps up for Ilian Tape from my side.

Stace
Classical Approach

Post by Stace »

Lovely guys, consistent output and introduced me to Skee Mask. No complaints.

Monreal
You only live once

Post by Monreal »

Just couple guys releasing stuff from Munich. Also this is cute:

To celebrate our 10 year anniversary we are very happy to present this triple 180g vinyl compilation including a download code and a small poster of the artwork, painted by our lovely mum Bettina Zenker. Thank you all for your support and we hope you enjoy it!

Planar
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Planar »

Another techno label paying attention to Pessimist. So they're ok as far as I'm concerned.

youtu.be/3bWFktMXeng

This is the only thing I've ever listened to on the label.

Den Bosch
brown envelope

Post by Den Bosch »

I dig most of their releases and artists. It's not very experimental or groundbreaking but I like that they have their own sound under the umbrella of whatever techno music is. A lot of breakbeat and non-four-to-the-floor rhythms as well as dreamy soundscapes and melodic elements. Some of it's a bit too basic and close to deep house for my liking.

Check out Andrea's last two EPs and Skee Mask.

youtu.be/9f83XVUrkew

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Lost to the Void »

Really like it, very much out of the post-dubstep thing in what they are doing.
Mostly find it refreshing. There are a lot of labels doing this kind of thing if you dive in to the bass music/post dubstep genre, if it can be called that.
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

CubiK Mass
Alf Garnett

Post by CubiK Mass »

For me Andrea is the best artist on that label, he makes some great set starters...

youtu.be/3XWcR_f7-xI

Den Bosch
brown envelope

Post by Den Bosch »

Lost to the Void wrote:Really like it, very much out of the post-dubstep thing in what they are doing.
Mostly find it refreshing. There are a lot of labels doing this kind of thing if you dive in to the bass music/post dubstep genre, if it can be called that.
Care to name any of those labels? My dubstep knowledge doesn't reach much farther than UKF from back when Skrillex was the bomb.

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Skrillex was not a dubstep artist, nor was UKF a dubstep label.
That music bares almost no relation to the music that began in south london.
Brostep was an American bastardisation, pop music take on dubstep.
New Shit

CubiK Mass
Alf Garnett

Post by CubiK Mass »

Lost to the Void wrote:Skrillex was not a dubstep artist, nor was UKF a dubstep label.
That music bares almost no relation to the music that began in south london.
Brostep was an American bastardisation, pop music take on dubstep.
Dubstep was a backlash from the UK Garage scene of the late 90's that blew up into the mainstream, plenty of those original artists saw the $$$ signs and started to produce the same type of shite Skillex latched on to.

In the grand scheme of electronic music for me, Dubstep was very limited and basic in it's origins, underground Garage that spawned it was much more interesting, before it went Craig David, the 2step Garage scene had a lot of ties to Nu School Breaks with artists like Tipper, Beber and Adam Freeland, now that was a pioneering form of electronic music at the time, still is if you listen back to some of it.

terly
arsehole

Post by terly »

I'm a fan, and have been since the very early zenker brothers alias "fronsua"

Wouldn't really relate it to dubstep or post-dubstep though

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Dubstep reinvigorated techno. I was very lucky to be there right at the start of dubstep when it was in packed but small sweaty rooms in places like herbal top floor (long missed). We were doing the sound for some of those parties and we realised pretty quickly that everything was going to change, and something was happening.
You can hear the ripples of Burial and the whole late/post dubstep movement all through current techno. Blawan, Untold, Randomer and more slipped from the bass music\post scene in to techno.
Dubstep has had an undeniable influence and effect worldwide.
Sure Brostep came out of it, and some of the guys sold out (not all of them by any means), but lots of people sell out. Most do given the chance in fact.
Integrity is pretty rare.

UK breaks was pretty pedestrian, to me anyway. I liked some of it, mainly because I had grown sick of techno at the time and there was something interesting going on where the tech house, breaks and prog scene were cross pollinating (kinda centered around vinyl addiction in Camden as a lot of the artists met up there) but it always felt a bit...Commercial to me. Less connected to Urban grit, more white middle class.

I never really clicked with garage. Something about the culture around it, it felt too materialistic. I hated doing sound for garage events, there was always such a high percentage rate of twats.
New Shit

Merah
arsehole

Post by Merah »

Lost to the Void wrote: You can hear the ripples of Burial and the whole late/post dubstep movement all through current techno. Blawan, Untold, Randomer and more slipped from the bass music\post scene in to techno.
This.. Burial captured the sound of urban decay like no other, hugely inspiring artist.
Creativity is not a technique, it is a way of life.

Merah
arsehole

Post by Merah »

Dubstep transformed the whole dnb sound also, inspired everyone to bring a sense of space back into the sound.
Creativity is not a technique, it is a way of life.

CubiK Mass
Alf Garnett

Post by CubiK Mass »

Dubstep is a load of wank, from top to bottom, as far as I'm concerned, that's just my opinion.

Nu School Breaks was filled with top quality artists breaking new ground, production wise they were light years ahead

Comparing the production in Nu School breaks and Big Beat circa 95 to 2000 to Dubstep is like chalk and cheese.

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Gawd it's sooooo sterile.. It's like lift music. Mum safe dance music. My ears hate you for that.
I was about to say MTV dance music and then noticed the second video was from MTV........
New Shit