Portable setup

General Chat // Music Discussion
Alume
Confetti
Portable setup

Post by Alume »

Hi guys,

All good i hope?

So, ill cut to the chase. In June, I'll be leaving for Ghana for about 2 months. Besides a bit of backpacking and sightseeing, I'll be located in my parents guesthouse.

As I have time on my hands the idea is to slow down and simply see life from a different perspective again. The will be no internet and computers so I'll be coming back to reading, writing, painting/drawing and it would be cool if i could do some music too. Its will be kind of a cleansing experience from the fast pace in the netherlands.

I was wondering i you guys have any cool ideas for setup.

Atm, im thinking of buying an octatrack and a field recorder and leave it at that. I should be able to sample my field recordings and explore the OT in that amount fo time. Obviously i wont take it backpacking, i will leave the setup at the house if im up and about. Another cool thing to add to the OT is the teenage PO's also i dont have a sampler in my previous setup.

I think I'll invest in some second hand headphones too.

Anyway, All input is welcome.

Will Frances
Gnasher
Re: Portable setup

Post by Will Frances »

2 months chilling, backpacking., sightseeing slowing down... sounds freaking awesome, sign me up...seriously though don't think I will ever have that luxury.

A limited set up will allow focus and constraint,

Headphones, 1 bit of kit that sequences and samples. Phone for capturing found sound...

kertikristof
Wastedddd

Post by kertikristof »

If you can afford it and use it later too, them go for the octatrack, just seems the right option for what you want.
https://intech.studio <- Modular MIDI controllers, MaxForLive devices, DIY Eurorack panels and intech life.
@ https://www.instagram.com/intechstudio/

Alume
Confetti

Post by Alume »

Will Frances wrote:2 months chilling, backpacking., sightseeing slowing down... sounds freaking awesome, sign me up...seriously though don't think I will ever have that luxury.

A limited set up will allow focus and constraint,

Headphones, 1 bit of kit that sequences and samples. Phone for capturing found sound...

Yeah i was lucky enough to live there as a kid. And now im lucky enough to have until september until my masters start.

Alume
Confetti

Post by Alume »

0xa wrote:If you can afford it and use it later too, them go for the octatrack, just seems the right option for what you want.
Well as usual i dont haha. But when i sell some stuff ill get there. It might be a bit heavy, but who knows.

Any ideas for headphones? Would like some that i could use for monitoring too and a pair that performs well with low volumes as i have tinnitus already

R08zy
Interact. Don't Spam.

Post by R08zy »

I've been thinking about trying the electribe 2, not sure whether to go for the emx or the esx. Would either of those units be suitable for you? The bit I'm not sure about is getting the samples from a field recorder onto the unit itself. They look like pretty decent units for playing around with and the export of clips to ableton looks like a great way to use the ideas in full tracks when back at a laptop.

As for headphones, I (along with hundreds of others) can recommend the sennheiser hd-25 mkiis. I've used them for years both for djing and when commuting, they aren't EQ'd completely flat like some of the high end studio headphones you'll find but they are a perfectly good all rounder. Very lightweight as well which will probably be a plus point for travelling.

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Lost to the Void »

Octa is not a bad idea. Buy a nice big 64bit CF card to stick in it, load it up with some good stock samples from your sample collection, add a field recorder and you have a pretty powerful and portable setup. The octa isn`t really that heavy.

Etymotic ER4XR are great headphones. In ear monitors, so they are very portable, and the sound is just unbelievably good and transates well, and they totally isolate you from your environment, so you use them at very low volume.

I comfortably do night mixing sessions on mine and they have all but replaced my AKG K701`s in the studio.
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

Alume
Confetti

Post by Alume »

In ears monnies is quite a good idea. I guess they could come in handy with live sets as well. DAMN, just checked those things are experisive!

Found a mint octa for 850 hehehe

Fuck you elektron

Alume
Confetti

Post by Alume »

btw my ears are irritated very quickly, there is some kind of fungus living in there.

Monreal
You only live once

Post by Monreal »

Don't you own a laptop or something? Instead of field recorder you can use your phone's mic too so you can save some money.

Alume
Confetti

Post by Alume »

Yeah i doo.

Does iphone have a good mic? Id like to use the OT to live sample my own vocals.

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Lost to the Void »

No it`s a shit mic, especially for vocals.

You can get this though, it plugs on to your arsephone

http://tascam.com/product/im2/
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

td3l
reverse genius

Post by td3l »

Maybe add something like a MakeNoise 0-coast to go with an OT?

Alume
Confetti

Post by Alume »

Ive got one already, so thats very possible. Though im keen to have as less as possible to challenfe myself a bit and get to know the OT

Monreal
You only live once

Post by Monreal »

Of course it's no pro field recorder but judging by your look for second hand gear I assume you're on a tight budget like me, so it's a nice way to cut extra costs.

I'm still using my iPhone 4's mic to record some stuff spontaneously on the streets.

Alume
Confetti

Post by Alume »

Monreal wrote:Of course it's no pro field recorder but judging by your look for second hand gear I assume you're on a tight budget like me, so it's a nice way to cut extra costs.

I'm still using my iPhone 4's mic to record some stuff spontaneously on the streets.
Yeah true, thanks for considering. On the other hand money has never been an issue music wise, as a student i dont have a lot of obligations

I try to do that now that i still can :lol:

td3l
reverse genius

Post by td3l »

Alume wrote:Ive got one already, so thats very possible. Though im keen to have as less as possible to challenfe myself a bit and get to know the OT
Off topic then: how do you like it? Been eyeing one for a minute.

Alume
Confetti

Post by Alume »

I love it, it fits my sound exactly, its organic and gritty. have any specific questions?

Only downside is that it doenst fit in my eurorack, its a tinsy bit bigger.

td3l
reverse genius

Post by td3l »

Alume wrote:I love it, it fits my sound exactly, its organic and gritty. have any specific questions?

Only downside is that it doenst fit in my eurorack, its a tinsy bit bigger.
If you have any sound samples I'd love to hear them, otherwise I guess I was just looking for some affirmation. I had a Eurorack last year and loved the DPO and Maths, but ultimately found Euro in general to be too much of a money pit and workflow distraction. 0 coast looks fun and useful.

Mslwte
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Mslwte »

Laptop, live 9, headphones and a mouse.
https://soundcloud.com/mslwte
https://noizefacilityrecords.bandcamp.com
https://www.instagram.com/subsekt909
https://www.facebook.com/subsekt909/
Lost to the Void wrote:Fuck off, get some tequila down ya neck and make some noise you cunt....