Portable setup

General Chat // Music Discussion
Mslwte
subsekt
subsekt
Re: Portable setup

Post by Mslwte »

I took my machinedrum on holiday a few times. I found that I had to really work it to get something good going as I had nothing else to distract me. I enjoyed doing and had some good results.

The Octatrack and field recorder sounds great. Are you gonna do a surgeon on us?
https://soundcloud.com/mslwte
https://noizefacilityrecords.bandcamp.com
https://www.instagram.com/subsekt909
https://www.facebook.com/subsekt909/
Lost to the Void wrote:Fuck off, get some tequila down ya neck and make some noise you cunt....

tenga
brown envelope

Post by tenga »

me too im thinking about electribe 2 ... it can run on batteries.. you can get it for around 230 eurs used...
its not just drums and easy program .... not heavy ....

PERIAL
Chernobyl

Post by PERIAL »

my portable setup is iPad Air 2 and Sony PCM-D100, and if I need something more to control an iPad, I take also CME Xkey 25 and Novation Launchcontrol

Alume
Confetti

Post by Alume »

td3l wrote:
Alume wrote:I love it, it fits my sound exactly, its organic and gritty. have any specific questions?

Only downside is that it doenst fit in my eurorack, its a tinsy bit bigger.
If you have any sound samples I'd love to hear them, otherwise I guess I was just looking for some affirmation. I had a Eurorack last year and loved the DPO and Maths, but ultimately found Euro in general to be too much of a money pit and workflow distraction. 0 coast looks fun and useful.
https://soundcloud.com/alume-music/tun-kata/s-pxAbI all is 0C except the kick, some verb and delay added

Alume
Confetti

Post by Alume »

Good ideas all, but im lusting after an OT not much that can stop me now.

Alume
Confetti

Post by Alume »

Mslwte wrote:I took my machinedrum on holiday a few times. I found that I had to really work it to get something good going as I had nothing else to distract me. I enjoyed doing and had some good results.

The Octatrack and field recorder sounds great. Are you gonna do a surgeon on us?

Yeah! im gonna get al beardy and shizz 8-)

intrusav
Rolf Harris

Post by intrusav »

Mslwte wrote:I took my machinedrum on holiday a few times. I found that I had to really work it to get something good going as I had nothing else to distract me. I enjoyed doing and had some good results.

Did the same thing a couple of times.
It's kinda liberating to just see what you can get out of it without any other distractions. Just exploring it.

intrusav
Rolf Harris

Post by intrusav »

And you know, sometimes the MD works so hard it deserves to come on holiday :D

Alume
Confetti

Post by Alume »

Which field rec to consider.

I like to do things properly, so id like decent quality and preferably the ability to use it as a mic for casual vocal/direct recording into soundcard.

So a semi pro/pro device so that i wouldnt have to over purchase again in 3-5 years. Want to get it second hand so new price max 250?

-------

Also looking for study headphones that i can use for mixing, home listening and for field recs outdoors. Same story, preferably good quality for a sustainable purchase.

Alume
Confetti

Post by Alume »

OT part is covered and might bring the 0coaster along as well.

kertikristof
Wastedddd

Post by kertikristof »

Alume wrote:Which field rec to consider.

I like to do things properly, so id like decent quality and preferably the ability to use it as a mic for casual vocal/direct recording into soundcard.

So a semi pro/pro device so that i wouldnt have to over purchase again in 3-5 years. Want to get it second hand so new price max 250?
Zoom H4 recorder is amazing, might be a bit off your price range, dunno their second hand prices. Zoom recorders are generally great.
Alume wrote: Also looking for study headphones that i can use for mixing, home listening and for field recs outdoors. Same story, preferably good quality for a sustainable purchase.
That sony mdr-7506, its a workhorse in my opinion. Closed design.
https://intech.studio <- Modular MIDI controllers, MaxForLive devices, DIY Eurorack panels and intech life.
@ https://www.instagram.com/intechstudio/

[wesellboxes]
Q33 NY

Post by [wesellboxes] »

I have the Electribe 2 and a couple of things you may or may not know. One is there is no song mode, so you have to repeat patterns and turn elements on and off. I'm not sure how important that is to you. The other thing is there is no real synthesis going on, it's more of rompler that you apply filters and FX to so it's got a fairly distinctive sound.

That said, limitations breeds creativity and there's enough clips on YouTube where people have obviously sat down with it longer than I have and got great results. I bought mine used for messing around on the sofa with and knocking out jams while traveling and it fits that purpose very well. Especially as it's built solid and runs off batteries. My only concern is you might find it a bit frustrating/boring using only that for two months.

Alume
Confetti

Post by Alume »

0xa wrote:

Zoom H4 recorder is amazing, might be a bit off your price range, dunno their second hand prices. Zoom recorders are generally great.
Alume wrote: Also looking for study headphones that i can use for mixing, home listening and for field recs outdoors. Same story, preferably good quality for a sustainable purchase.
That sony mdr-7506, its a workhorse in my opinion. Closed design.

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Lost to the Void »

Alume wrote:
td3l wrote:
Alume wrote:I love it, it fits my sound exactly, its organic and gritty. have any specific questions?

Only downside is that it doenst fit in my eurorack, its a tinsy bit bigger.
If you have any sound samples I'd love to hear them, otherwise I guess I was just looking for some affirmation. I had a Eurorack last year and loved the DPO and Maths, but ultimately found Euro in general to be too much of a money pit and workflow distraction. 0 coast looks fun and useful.
https://soundcloud.com/alume-music/tun-kata/s-pxAbI all is 0C except the kick, some verb and delay added
Instant Mike Parker!!!!
Boing
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

Resin
Pig

Post by Resin »

0xa wrote:

So a semi pro/pro device so that i wouldn't have to over purchase again in 3-5 years. Want to get it second hand so new price max 250?
Honestly, I think the H4 is piece of crap. I used it a lot, because indie film guys seem to love it for some reason. The internal mics performance is okay. But the pre amps are noisy and also pretty crappy if you wanna use external mics. It doesn't accept line-level (h4n does maybe, but I'm not sure) which is straight up stupid. Menu isn't the fastest and build quality isn't that great either... same goes for the battery life.

The H5 and H6 on the other hand are pretty nice. If one doesn't need XLR inputs, then Olympus (LS5/LS10/LS11 not the current models) and Sony (M10, D50/D100) are great. Tascam also got some good models, even though there are all a bit noisy, but otherwise great build and price.

td3l
reverse genius

Post by td3l »

Lost to the Void wrote:
Alume wrote:
Instant Mike Parker!!!!
Boing

Works for me :mrgreen:

Alume
Confetti

Post by Alume »

Did a search through out the forum and it seems almost 90% of peeps here have the Tascam DR-07 mkii.

If its good enough for you guys its good enough for me, however it seems like its discontinued?

Could the Tascam DR-40 v2 be a worthy successor?