Arguments that make your eyes roll

General Chat // Music Discussion
The_G
Artificial Hazard
Re: Arguments that make your eyes roll

Post by The_G »

jordanneke wrote:I had no idea that a USB cable could cost 6k. And here I was using the ones I 'borrowed' from work, like some schmuck.

That's why my music isn't as good as I need it to be.

http://www.audiofile.nl/absolute-dream-1

How stupid do I feel now? *looks for credit card*
That one offers "the blackest of black background."

WTF DOES THAT EVEN MEAN

The_G
Artificial Hazard

Post by The_G »

Okay, well to tell you what prompted this thread, a guy on some Facebook group claimed that hardware synths are "fatter" than software synths "because of the filters."

Please note that he was not even talking about analog hardware, but fucking VA. So I was like "you realize that a digital synth is just computer running software, right?"

Jester
Interact. Don't Spam.

Post by Jester »

I often take a deep breathe when people start to judge "-underground artist xy- was way better back in the days when they he/she was not so popular. He/she is too commercial nowadays"

In most cases I argue that, at some point in life, the artists need to earn money not only for their weekly beer consumption like when they were students or whatever. Artists are humans too and after some years they probably need to keep a family, too. And without being a bit more commercial (more concerts, larger range, maybe major label) they probably couldn't master both, family and releasing music...

Do you know these debates?

Mattias
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Mattias »

Most every argument that favors the arguing side in the current Swedish debate makes my eyes roll and fall out. Kind of.
Music Page: http://www.facebook.com/Mattias.Fridell.Music
Soundcloud: http://soundcloud.com/fridell
Sample packs: http://mfsamples.bandcamp.com

Contention / 005

The_G
Artificial Hazard

Post by The_G »

Mattias wrote:Most every argument that favors the arguing side in the current Swedish debate makes my eyes roll and fall out. Kind of.
You mean the argument over whether Sweden is a burning hellscape or social democratic wonderland, or something else?

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Lost to the Void »

Mono-xID wrote:
Alume wrote:some guys who is totally in the scene who says he can drop my music of this/ there to have it played here/there.

The music goes where is goes. Promotion is a perculiar thing.
DJ Craptalk: Hello, my name is DJ Craptalk. I do a weekly podcast on internet radio station called Funkfreaks Radio with 38 listeners. Also I run a monthly event in a suburb of Vienna.

Your latest tracks are really good and I'd like to play them. Can you send me your tracks please?

Cheers.

Me: Hey there, thank you for your interest in my music. Unfortunately I don't release my music anymore through labels due to bad experiences. Also I give away my music only to people I know and trust. Hope you understand and have a nice day.

DJ Craptalk: Oh, I'll not give your tracks to other people, trust me. Lots of well know Producers gave me their tracks for promotion.

Me: Please understand that I won't give away my babies. Thanks.

DJ Craptalk: Who do you think you are? I bet if I was Chris Liebing you'd send them over within a second. Fuck you.

Me: :shock:

Really happened to me...
Yeah, I have had this so much I`ve reduced it down to a very short reply.

I don`t send out demo/promo copies music to anyone big name or not unless it is on my soundcloud or bandcamp as a free download. When it comes out the purchase link will be on here or bandcamp. Thanks for your kind interest though.
Lots of love
Me.

Sometimes the reply is pleasant, othertimes DJ fucknut from dirtpond will get shitty. I don`t care.
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

Mono-xID
Uumfääng

Post by Mono-xID »

Lost to the Void wrote:
I don`t send out demo/promo copies music to anyone big name or not unless it is on my soundcloud or bandcamp as a free download. When it comes out the purchase link will be on here or bandcamp. Thanks for your kind interest though.
Lots of love
Me.
Who do you think you are, fuckin' Porc or whut? I guess if I'd be DJ NutSack you'd sent it over immediately, huh???

Fuck you
http://soundcloud.com/monoxid

Behringer = ARTS label of synths

Aurongroove
pregnant

Post by Aurongroove »

I'm Hilarious

Some professional mastering engineers use multi-band compressors.

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

The_G wrote:Okay, well to tell you what prompted this thread, a guy on some Facebook group claimed that hardware synths are "fatter" than software synths "because of the filters."

Please note that he was not even talking about analog hardware, but fucking VA. So I was like "you realize that a digital synth is just computer running software, right?"
why are you even near folks like that ? :D
God I have given up so long ago to talk about gear with idiots.
I seldomly even talk about gear at all any more,
but yeah, with dumb fucks like that...
Not enough time in our lives to deal with pointing out their mistakes.
Let them stay stupid.
Sin cambios no hay mariposa

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

Aurongroove wrote:It's not an argument as such but rather a lazy belief people harbor that seems to come out when people are drinking near concert halls, posting on social media, or when I'm doing a classical singing gig or dressed in a tux for any reason.

It's a two parter;
They accidentally believe that "classical music" is all of the music that is posh and has violins in it. That it is all sacred music except gospel, and that it is all the posh music with violins in it made during the Renaissance, the Baroque era, the classical era, the romantic era, and pre-nowadays.

This is usually coupled with this misunderstanding, that "classical" music is like a master race of music;
To learn "classical music theory" is to learn "music theory" and all other forms of music is either music made by people without "music theory" or else is a form of traditional music made by spear chuckers hitting animal hides, or someone with a computer going through a 'phase'.

When I feel the rage burning up, I might intentionally and arrogantly drop an academic qualification followed by something like"yes, of course what a lot of 'classical music' (air quotes if I'm feeling especially spiteful) players, teachers and listeners overlook, is the fact their branch of music is a just another type of folk music, just like rock 'n' roll, reggae or dubstep (and I try to find the three genres of music that I imagine the person would have the least respect for) and that music theory used in one of these regions and points in history, very often contradicts others significantly within the western art canon"
I might then go on to say something like
"If there is any branch of music theory I would encourage a young child or musician to take up it would be jazz theory,which is more intuitive, more relevant to musical culture and instruments of the last 120 years, and it makes you a much better musician and performer then modern classical theory does"
pfff, the problem of that lies also for a part in the somewhat "elitist" ways of some typical classically trained musicians.
I mean, at least over here in Belgium there are quite a few of them that can look down on the rest of us musicians.

I remember once picking up an old hifi I had in for repair.
The tech guy lives in a wonderful house, but he was busy, so I had to wait for him in the living room,
while his wife tried some small talk on me (I SUCK at small talk, simply because I hate it).
I asked who played the piano... blablabla... she said she played violin... blablabla
I was smart enough to NOT ask her to play me something... blablabla
I mentioned I was a classicallly trained pianist, her eyes grow with "admiration" or whatever...
blablabla... I tell her I mainly switched to synths about 20 years ago.
BOUM !!! dead silence for like 30 very long seconds !!! horrified look of the woman of the house !!
I doubt she could have given me a dirtier look if I had just told her I like raping dead wiener dogs.
However, I still asked if I could play something on the piano.
(just to fucking show the bitch I was most likely a way better musician than she'll ever be)
Somehow I wasn't allowed any more.
She used some bullshit excuse about the kids having to study. :lol:

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Mono-xID wrote:
Lost to the Void wrote:
Lots of love
Me.
Who do you think you are, fuckin' Porc or whut? I guess if I'd be DJ NutSack you'd sent it over immediately, huh???

Fuck you
If someone called DJ Fucknut or DJ Nutsack did come to me asking for music, I would actually probably give it to them.
New Shit

Mono-xID
Uumfääng

Post by Mono-xID »

I once recieved a promo by DJ Dickslap - Cumbath EP.... :?

No shit....

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

For that alone the man deserves a beer
New Shit

WOLF!
Grand

Post by WOLF! »

Mono-xID wrote:I once recieved a promo by DJ Dickslap - Cumbath EP.... :?
:lol:

Mono-xID
Uumfääng

Post by Mono-xID »

wayfinder wrote:one of my releases is named after a jerkcity character, but damn thats some next level shit
Lemme know...

The_G
Artificial Hazard

Post by The_G »

Hades wrote:
The_G wrote:Okay, well to tell you what prompted this thread, a guy on some Facebook group claimed that hardware synths are "fatter" than software synths "because of the filters."

why are you even near folks like that ? :D
God I have given up so long ago to talk about gear with idiots.
I seldomly even talk about gear at all any more,
but yeah, with dumb fucks like that...
Not enough time in our lives to deal with pointing out their mistakes.
Let them stay stupid.
Usually I would stay the fuck away but this time I couldn't resist.

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

you'll get over it.
It's like some stupid colleague at work, who thinks all electronic music is done in 30 minutes,
and it's all called "techno".
I'd call all of them a bunch of cunts, but that would simply be too much honor...

Mono-xID
Uumfääng

Post by Mono-xID »

Hades wrote:you'll get over it.
It's like some stupid colleague at work, who thinks all electronic music is done in 30 minutes,
I'd call all of them a bunch of cunts, but that would simply be too much honor...
I know these kind of colleagues.

But a wise man once said: "They laugh at me because I'm different. But I laugh at them because they're all the same" - Kurt Cobain

Kromasome
arsehole

Post by Kromasome »

Hades wrote:you'll get over it.
I have had this from some of my former band mates. "We need a studio/rehearsal room, can you just knock up some shitty pop track to make some money for us so we can do this full-time" - and while they were partly joking, I think that's genuinely how they felt about all electronic music. Unfortunately they overestimated my ability hence we still have our day jobs.

And the one about the sound engines between Ableton, Logic and Cubase (amongst all the rest) being different was a good one. That argument started to die off when big name procducers started posting clips on Youtube on how they made some big tracks in Ableton or FruityLoops. The one that rusko did ages ago was classic - shit bedroom studio turning out bangers on AcidPro (I know this is dubstep, but I bet there were other dubstep producers around at the time with much "better" studios turning out rubbish)

youtu.be/ZCfn8P2kBXM

Alume
Confetti

Post by Alume »

Just dont say you make music. Makes it extra fun when they discover it when you start "hanging out" more.

I had some friends at my studies who where totally amazed that JJ was an abbreviation for my real name. As everyone, they've been calling me that for months.