Best way to DJ with limited space at home...

General Chat // Music Discussion
Plyphon
endless
Best way to DJ with limited space at home...

Post by Plyphon »

So I've had to leave my 1210's in storage as my flat in London is tiny, there's no real way to set up some decks without being totally unfair to housemates in regards to space usage.

But I do have a largeish desk in the lounge (which is where my monitor speakers are), and I reckon I could squeeze on a setup there temporarily to have a mix, and then store the bits down the side when not in use.

This again rules out turntables as I don't really want to be chucking those on their side under my desk....

But CDJ's or somthing could work. I'm all abut ease on use vs cost. So far I'm leaning towards an all in one controller, Pioneer DDJ SX2, which is something I never thought I'd do. But it seems similar enough to CDJs in operation that if I ever play out again I can transfer easily enough to a club setup.

But I'm open to other ideas. I have a serato SL2 box I can use with CDJs. Are there any other ways to get a compact setup going?

Dattington
Alf Garnett
Re: Best way to DJ with limited space at home...

Post by Dattington »

Controller sounds like the best option mate. Easy to transport (more importantly move/put away if sharing space!) and no messing around with loads of cables and stuff.

Sounds stupid but check the dimensions before you buy. I was looking at the DDJ-RZ toward the end of last year, went into a shop to check it out and it was fucking huge.
Previews and clips are in the playlist below:

Monreal
You only live once

Post by Monreal »

Plyphon
endless

Post by Plyphon »

Dattington wrote:Controller sounds like the best option mate. Easy to transport (more importantly move/put away if sharing space!) and no messing around with loads of cables and stuff.

Sounds stupid but check the dimensions before you buy. I was looking at the DDJ-RZ toward the end of last year, went into a shop to check it out and it was fucking huge.
heh yeah they're giant. I think the SX is about the size of a DJM+CDJ setup. I will measure tonight, though

Plyphon
endless

Post by Plyphon »

Looks cool, im serato tho :( don't fancy moving over 3/4 years of serato crates...!

Monreal
You only live once

Post by Monreal »

That sucks, which means you're limited with these I believe:

https://serato.com/hardware

Edit: Not like there's not much to choose from :) Vestax maybe?

https://serato.com/hardware/vestax-vci-300

Plyphon
endless

Post by Plyphon »

Some of those look so bait lol.

I am tempted to buy some old CDJ1000s and just use my Serato box. Will be a ballache putting to all together to have a mix though.

Monreal
You only live once

Post by Monreal »

Honestly you get what you pay for. You mentioned CDJ1000, I don't know the prices by heart but eBay told me they go for 550, without a mixer, meanwhile a controller like Vestax (new) goes for 399 only.

So yeah there has to be a difference between the products. I've been using the S4 since day one I'm happy with it but I don't go to a club to play with it.

Monreal
You only live once

Post by Monreal »

But yeah man do what you wanna do, you said limited space so I immediately thought about those all-in-one controllers.

off_axis
Exampleless

Post by off_axis »

Plyphon wrote:So I've had to leave my 1210's in storage as my flat in London is tiny, there's no real way to set up some decks without being totally unfair to housemates in regards to space usage.

But I do have a largeish desk in the lounge (which is where my monitor speakers are), and I reckon I could squeeze on a setup there temporarily to have a mix, and then store the bits down the side when not in use.

This again rules out turntables as I don't really want to be chucking those on their side under my desk....
Buy a couple of turntables flight cases maybe? that way you can store them when you're done

Dattington
Alf Garnett

Post by Dattington »

Monreal wrote:Honestly you get what you pay for. You mentioned CDJ1000, I don't know the prices by heart but eBay told me they go for 550, without a mixer, meanwhile a controller like Vestax (new) goes for 399 only.

So yeah there has to be a difference between the products. I've been using the S4 since day one I'm happy with it but I don't go to a club to play with it.
Single 1000mk3 is about £200 on eBay now.
Previews and clips are in the playlist below:

Monreal
You only live once

Post by Monreal »

200+200=£400

£400=€460-470

Yeah around the same prices with what I just said.

ashley BORG
Small Penis

Post by ashley BORG »

My missus after years of persistence, got me to ditch my MDF custom deck stand. Replaced it with an IKEA Kallax unit, which surprisingly fits my CDJ1000s and A&H mixer on the shelves. So it's very easy (and tidy) to store away when not being used.
I'm only 5,6" so it's actually not a bad height for me.
Basically everything is self contained from tunes to decks and speakers within and on the shelving system.

Plyphon
endless

Post by Plyphon »

ashley BORG wrote:My missus after years of persistence, got me to ditch my MDF custom deck stand. Replaced it with an IKEA Kallax unit, which surprisingly fits my CDJ1000s and A&H mixer on the shelves. So it's very easy (and tidy) to store away when not being used.
I'm only 5,6" so it's actually not a bad height for me.
Basically everything is self contained from tunes to decks and speakers within and on the shelving system.

What Kallax did you go for?

Something like this:
http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/products/stor ... -80275887/

But lengthways/on its side?

Planar
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Planar »

Plyphon wrote:What Kallax did you go for?

Something like this:
http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/products/stor ... -80275887/

But lengthways/on its side?
This is what I use, it fits my 1210's and old DJM mixer with space for a speak stand on one side (the other is on a desk of the same height on the other side). I don't pack it away afterwards, but that would work if space were tight. I'm not the tallest either so I use it as is, but you can buy metal feet from Ikea for a couple of quid and add other shelves easily enough. They're so cheap it's almost disposable, Google for "DJ Kallax", I think a lot of people use it. I had a lot of vinyl in a bigger 5x5 one before I moved, I'm actually thinking of putting it up in the garage and storing most of it in there.

off_axis wrote:Buy a couple of turntables flight cases maybe? that way you can store them when you're done
This is probably your best bet if you're sharing space with others.

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

ashley BORG wrote: I'm only 5,6"
Planar wrote: I'm not the tallest either
if this continues in any way,
I suggest we replace next years subsekt mix with a midget throwing contest.
You can use my slowly expanding beer belly as a target ! ;)
Sin cambios no hay mariposa

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

maybe stick some contact mics up my ass as well,
just to sample the sounds when someone hits the target !

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

ow, and that Kallax unit is superb for storing vinyl.
I have like 6 or 7 small ones (4x4) to store my vinyl in, in my living room downstairs,
and double the one you see in that pic to store all sorts of stuff in my bedroom.
It used to hold all my vinyl and my comics/graphic novels collection before I built my library downstairs.
I'd like to replace my big unit with a self-made one some day, with lovely oiled wood, just like my library,
but I think it's gonna cost me a small fortune if I want wood this wide (plus it's gonna weigh a hell of a lot more as well).

I try to stay away from Ikea as much as possible.
I honestly think it's one of our current society's most common denominators,
but yeah, some times you can't beat their prices and practicality. :)

Joseph John
fancy woman

Post by Joseph John »

I would say controller, CDJ1000's are still pretty big pieces of kit, and the SX controllers are pretty big too...i say go controller, there are come smaller ones out there that pack a serious punch.

give us a follow...if you like what you hear give me a shout you can just have em......

bergertron
site spammer

Post by bergertron »

I had this problem I used turntables for about 10 years and moved in to an apartment with not much space for them. I thought I would never turn to digital mixing but for about 3 years or so I have been using Ableton with Novation launchPad, Novation launch controller XL and a Novation Audio Hub. I still have my decks setup in my folks house so when I visit I most certainly fire them up.