General Chat // Music Discussion
Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt
Re: Thoughts on Varg's open letter to the Techno Scene

Post by Lost to the Void »

terryfalafel wrote:
Lost to the Void wrote:
Monreal wrote:Not another week goes by that dear Subsekt members criticize some popular techno artist relentlessly for what they did/said.

That's because the whole format of music interviews etc is kinda bullshit.
Might as well watch superstar Hollywood pretend for a living people making political rants whilst accepting their token acknowledgement statue.
It's the same thing.
I kinda hoped the idea of the magazine would die when print media died. Because it was print you had to resort to words, and thus interviews etc.
But with the Internet you can just listen to the music, no need for waffle.
Unfortunately the magazine survived in digital form.
It's still bullshit.
Seems a bit OTT to disregard all written material relating to the thing you're interested in. Surely some's good and informative and useful, and some's appalling, sycophantic garbage, with lots of stuff in between.

There seems to be this pattern of :

'thing is good, thing is underground > thing becomes more well known, more popular > thing becomes oversaturated, becomes diluted > thing becomes a corporate parody of what made it good in the first place'

and this could be applied to dozens of scenes, lots of different types of music certainly. Having the early scene creators / early enthusiasts lament about 'it's not as good as it used to be' is just a natural part of this. I don't really see how whinging about RA is anything except that to be honest.
Might as well watch superstar Hollywood pretend for a living people making political rants whilst accepting their token acknowledgement statue.
It's the same thing.
No, I don't think that is the same as reading an interview with a musician whose music I enjoy talking about their background, influences, or experiences.

OTT? Moi? Are you suggesting I engage in hyperbole?
I NEVER in the infinite reality of the multiverse make overexaggerated statements.

How many Jeff mills interviews does there need to be?
Why are interviews with artists important to you?
If the art is not enough then it has failed.
Eat your heroes, it's just idolatry in one form.
Why does it matter what a person's influences are? So you can relate to them?
Admittedly there might be an educational aspect, it might point to music you like. But that could easily just be published as a list.
It has nothing to do with underground or not it's about how art is consumed, and about just accepting that art and taking on its own merits.
What your fave blah
What are you influences blah

In rare occurrences there are still some great interviews that are conversations. Discussions. But these are very rare and very very rarely anything electronic music based. It's the same questions pretty much.
It all seems so borgoise, such a patting on the back.

The other side to this is that if a comment or statement is put out into the public domain then it is there to be discussed and commented about. And you can't complain about it being commented or discussed by commenting or discussing about it in the public domain because you are doing the exact same thing and your only point is then basically a whinge about whether or not the commentary is in agreement with your perspective.
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

Mono-xID
Uumfääng

Post by Mono-xID »

Monreal wrote:Not another week goes by that dear Subsekt members criticize some popular techno artist relentlessly for what they did/said.
The thing is, would this Varg dude (whoever he his) have written this open letter without people attacking him because of an overpriced piece of leather a.k.a. Gucci ??? I don't think he had taken a stand without all this bullshit.

Now THAT would have proven he got some balls, call this ridicoulus scene by what it is. Just for the sake of it. Because he is a voice to be heard for the techno sheeps. Imagine someone like Ben Klock f.e. stands up and says something like "I live off this thing and i love the music but actually i hate all the bullshit going on. We as a techno community should change that, NOW !!!" just out of nowhere.

My reaction would be: NIIIIIIIIIIICE One Ben.

But no, Vargy boy just comes up with this childish crap soap after people makes fun of him. Hence +1 point of dizzrespect frum Mono.
http://soundcloud.com/monoxid

Behringer = ARTS label of synths

tsaro
Lifer

Post by tsaro »

Quite a specific audience for this open letter, and it's a bit puzzling why he brings up those 'real'musicians to make his point, which I guess has something to do with that fact that he makes his tracks on a cheap IOS app, while wearing his gucci hat? I'm a bit lost here tbh.
how far do you want to go

Monreal
You only live once

Post by Monreal »

Mono-xID wrote:
The thing is, would this Varg dude (whoever he his) have written this open letter without people attacking him because of an overpriced piece of leather a.k.a. Gucci ??? I don't think he had taken a stand without all this bullshit.

Now THAT would have proven he got some balls, call this ridicoulus scene by what it is. Just for the sake of it. Because he is a voice to be heard for the techno sheeps. Imagine someone like Ben Klock f.e. stands up and says something like "I live off this thing and i love the music but actually i hate all the bullshit going on. We as a techno community should change that, NOW !!!" just out of nowhere.

My reaction would be: NIIIIIIIIIIICE One Ben.

But no, Vargy boy just comes up with this childish crap soap after people makes fun of him. Hence +1 point of dizzrespect frum Mono.
I believe the reason he gave this rant (and couple more) was because he was taking over Resident Advisor's Instagram account for a week or so so he decided to open up a bit. What's wrong with that?

Amøbe
Moderate

Post by Amøbe »

I'll recommend you guys to check out the resident advisor's instagram account that he took over (which is where this is from). It's quite obvious then that he's trolling. Most of the time he was running around in a super un-techno pink jacket and drinking Moët with DJ Hvad (and DJ Hvad definitely doesn't seem like the kind of guy living extravagant, when I bump in to him from time to time)... I think he was just taking the piss out on people, but then people got really angry with him, because he posted a video where he was handed a gucci bag in the airport (who knows what was in it), and he began calling people out and trolling (and he also became re-trolled by some users, which he acknowledged). All in all, I think he was just trying to mess with the core RA reader (=the black clothing, eurorack-masturbating kind) - check it out, it was quite funny!

(Sorry if this seems like a ramble)

Stace
Classical Approach

Post by Stace »

Amøbe wrote:I'll recommend you guys to check out the resident advisor's instagram account that he took over (which is where this is from). It's quite obvious then that he's trolling. Most of the time he was running around in a super un-techno pink jacket and drinking Moët with DJ Hvad (and DJ Hvad definitely doesn't seem like the kind of guy living extravagant, when I bump in to him from time to time)... I think he was just taking the piss out on people, but then people got really angry with him, because he posted a video where he was handed a gucci bag in the airport (who knows what was in it), and he began calling people out and trolling (and he also became re-trolled by some users, which he acknowledged). All in all, I think he was just trying to mess with the core RA reader (=the black clothing, eurorack-masturbating kind) - check it out, it was quite funny!

My hair is pink. Does that make me less techno that I could potentially be? :(

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

StacieAnne wrote:
Amøbe wrote:I'll recommend you guys to check out the resident advisor's instagram account that he took over (which is where this is from). It's quite obvious then that he's trolling. Most of the time he was running around in a super un-techno pink jacket and drinking Moët with DJ Hvad (and DJ Hvad definitely doesn't seem like the kind of guy living extravagant, when I bump in to him from time to time)... I think he was just taking the piss out on people, but then people got really angry with him, because he posted a video where he was handed a gucci bag in the airport (who knows what was in it), and he began calling people out and trolling (and he also became re-trolled by some users, which he acknowledged). All in all, I think he was just trying to mess with the core RA reader (=the black clothing, eurorack-masturbating kind) - check it out, it was quite funny!

You are more techno than most techno people.
New Shit

Amøbe
Moderate

Post by Amøbe »

StacieAnne wrote:
Amøbe wrote:
You and I both know that techno is not a colour - it's a state of heart <3

Amøbe
Moderate

Post by Amøbe »

Lost to the Void wrote:
StacieAnne wrote:

You are more techno than most techno people.
Your kindness confuses me! cunt.

Mono-xID
Uumfääng

Post by Mono-xID »

Pink and neon green were THE colors of my early 90's techno experiences at E-Werk club . There were more colors than meets the eye. It was a fuckin' happy colorfest. There were no "black clothes only" people anywhere.

So calm down Stace, you deffo offically full techno.

Amøbe
Moderate

Post by Amøbe »

I didn't try to hurt anyone's feelings :(

Mono-xID
Uumfääng

Post by Mono-xID »

Monreal wrote:I believe the reason he gave this rant (and couple more) was because he was taking over Resident Advisor's Instagram account for a week or so so he decided to open up a bit. What's wrong with that?

Nothing wrong with it per se. But then, why play that trolling game instead of naming the drawbacks right away?

Mono-xID
Uumfääng

Post by Mono-xID »

Amøbe wrote:I didn't try to hurt anyone's feelings :(
All good dude, Stace can take it. She iz a tuff gal.

terryfalafel
Component

Post by terryfalafel »

Lost to the Void wrote: OTT? Moi? Are you suggesting I engage in hyperbole?
I NEVER in the infinite reality of the multiverse make overexaggerated statements.

How many Jeff mills interviews does there need to be?
Why are interviews with artists important to you?
If the art is not enough then it has failed.
Eat your heroes, it's just idolatry in one form.
Why does it matter what a person's influences are? So you can relate to them?
Admittedly there might be an educational aspect, it might point to music you like. But that could easily just be published as a list.
It has nothing to do with underground or not it's about how art is consumed, and about just accepting that art and taking on its own merits.
What your fave blah
What are you influences blah

In rare occurrences there are still some great interviews that are conversations. Discussions. But these are very rare and very very rarely anything electronic music based. It's the same questions pretty much.
It all seems so borgoise, such a patting on the back.

The other side to this is that if a comment or statement is put out into the public domain then it is there to be discussed and commented about. And you can't complain about it being commented or discussed by commenting or discussing about it in the public domain because you are doing the exact same thing and your only point is then basically a whinge about whether or not the commentary is in agreement with your perspective.
Yep, you're not OTT and I'm not a contrarian :-)

Could write more here but it's home time. Maybe later.

Amøbe
Moderate

Post by Amøbe »

Mono-xID wrote:
Amøbe wrote:I didn't try to hurt anyone's feelings :(
All good dude, Stace can take it. She iz a tuff gal.
Now I've gotten a pink flower avatar to show my support of the pink colours

Alume
Confetti

Post by Alume »

We should hand out survey on google forms on our facebook pages to asses just how techno we are.

Monreal
You only live once

Post by Monreal »

Mono-xID wrote:
Monreal wrote:I believe the reason he gave this rant (and couple more) was because he was taking over Resident Advisor's Instagram account for a week or so so he decided to open up a bit. What's wrong with that?

Nothing wrong with it per se. But then, why play that trolling game instead of naming the drawbacks right away?

I didn't say he was trolling, I don't even think he was trolling. That rants sounded way too personal to be a troll if you ask me.

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Mono-xID wrote:Pink and neon green were THE colors of my early 90's techno experiences at E-Werk club . There were more colors than meets the eye. It was a fuckin' happy colorfest. There were no "black clothes only" people anywhere.

So calm down Stace, you deffo offically full techno.
I was always black clad, metal head then goth and industrial tainted me long before techno.
I`m so goth I shit bats.
But then I was a freak at the techno parties, now I blend in.
New Shit

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Lost to the Void wrote:
StacieAnne wrote: You are more techno than most techno people.
Your kindness confuses me! cunt.
Ah c`mon, you`ve met me, once you get past the shield wall and the lava pit it`s all fluff inside.
New Shit

Mono-xID
Uumfääng

Post by Mono-xID »

Monreal wrote: I didn't say he was trolling, I don't even think he was trolling. That rants sounded way too personal to be a troll if you ask me.
Whatever he did, i don't care (i don't even know the guy). To me it's just hypocritical. He is "playing the game", cashing in and all of a sudden acts like an moral apostle? No one forces him to hang out and play for this so called underground scene. He's free to join his mates band with the "real instruments". Just my opinion about his move.

I gave my 0,3 cents now. What's next on the menue ladies and gentlemen?

Some more techno gossip please.

Edit: Oh, i just bought me a nice Funtion Generator/Slew Limiter (WMD Mini Slew) to add to my growing eurorack. Cost 250 bucks.....and fucc Gucci !!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: 8-) 8-) 8-)
Last edited by Mono-xID on Thu Feb 02, 2017 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.