Studio prices and working spaces

General Chat // Music Discussion
Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt
Re: Studio prices and working spaces

Post by Lost to the Void »

My label partner rented a studio in LA a couple of years back. It had a desk, soundproofing etc he just moved his gear and monitors in.
He made no music that year...
But then when I visited him in LA at his previous studio, I probably made more music in his studio that year than he did, and I was only there for 3 weeks.
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

Mslwte
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Mslwte »

I recently got a new studio space, well 4 days before Christmas to be precise. It's expensive though. It's a nice space, much better acoustic's than my last one. I think this is because the room slightly larger, a good rectangular shape with a lower ceiling. I'm able to have the monitors far enough away from the wall now that I can walk around behind the desk with ease. There is much less bass build up now and I reckon much less treatment will be required.

but.. the really cool thing is that it has some extra rooms attached to it with some cool utilities. So I decided that the kids can stay over, even my wife likes it that much that she has decided to move in as well.
https://soundcloud.com/mslwte
https://noizefacilityrecords.bandcamp.com
https://www.instagram.com/subsekt909
https://www.facebook.com/subsekt909/
Lost to the Void wrote:Fuck off, get some tequila down ya neck and make some noise you cunt....

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Lost to the Void »

Hahaha
Yeah I found a house attached to the bottom of my studio.
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

Alume
Confetti

Post by Alume »

Mslwte wrote:I recently got a new studio space, well 4 days before Christmas to be precise. It's expensive though. It's a nice space, much better acoustic's than my last one. I think this is because the room slightly larger, a good rectangular shape with a lower ceiling. I'm able to have the monitors far enough away from the wall now that I can walk around behind the desk with ease. There is much less bass build up now and I reckon much less treatment will be required.

but.. the really cool thing is that it has some extra rooms attached to it with some cool utilities. So I decided that the kids can stay over, even my wife likes it that much that she has decided to move in as well.
Haha nice mate, good suspension in that one!

Críoch
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Críoch »

I didn't have a studio space.. but i did live on my own for a while, about 30mins cycle from my girlfriend. Tbh.. I'd spend most nights with her. I had all my music stuff in the flat & would head up at least 1.. Sometimes 2 evenings / nights a week. The whole thing was a disaster.. unproductive.. waste of money.. waste of time as I'd be wrecked getting there after the cycle. Not too bad in summer.. but cycling in the dark & rain was a mega inconvenience tbh. It would take at least 30mins more by bus - 2 connections. Taxis there and back would be around 20 quid.

There were a lot of times that I did bother going anywhere cos I was tired after work & it was easier to stay put for one reason or another.

Saying that..

I've considered doing it again. I could see maybe having a room over in my parents place at some point. I've got a small room in a big house atm.. and there's no scope to do anything about it without a bit of building work. That could be possible too.. but i can't see us having the spare cash anytime soon for that haha.. Though I have thought about those outside cabin office / studios; it's all money at the end of the day.

Things are different now.. I'm older.. there's a noise curfew cos of the kids.. often its impossible to get a 'clean' few hours to yourself.. I definitely need more space & a better sounding room.. AND I'm driving.

It may happen yet. Next time the outcome might be better as there's an actual need & the logistics are in place. Costs would probably be low also.. especially vs. Moving / getting an extention.
KennethExack wrote:My kids and I are completely shocked by the specialized secrets that everyone has on this forum
>> Click here for NEW POSTS on subsekt <<

Dialog I The Hole I subsekt Blog I The Bench I IG I SC I Mixes I FB

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

Thies wrote:Hmm imho 150 for 2,5 days a week is not that much if the equipment and everything is on point and you actually can really work those 2,5 days (no need to fix stuff and so on). The cheapest offer I found was 1day per week for ~150€/month.
no offence, but how many times do you face technical issues ?
I mean, I have a pretty big set-up here,
and even though I hate it when stuff breaks down (one of my monitors isn't powering up, so yeah, annoying as fuck),
it's not like that stuff happens all the time.

If you have some gear, you'll have some shit from time to time,
but it's not the end of the world.
and compared to all the hours that it works, it's almost neglectable.

You can still have "technical" issues (as in : shit won't do what it's supposed to do, or similar situations) even when all your gear is perfectly working. :)
Sin cambios no hay mariposa

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

Mslwte wrote:I recently got a new studio space, well 4 days before Christmas to be precise. It's expensive though. It's a nice space, much better acoustic's than my last one. I think this is because the room slightly larger, a good rectangular shape with a lower ceiling. I'm able to have the monitors far enough away from the wall now that I can walk around behind the desk with ease. There is much less bass build up now and I reckon much less treatment will be required.

:lol:

you probably even got your cat to come over as well.

tbh, I had my own studio space about 12 years ago, but back then it was still a spare bed room as well.
Then I got the fully dedicated room when I bought my house 10 years ago.
Looking back now, I couldn't possibly imagine living without it.
I would never be putting in so many hours if I'd have to get up and go somewhere to make music.
I just love walking in, switching on stuff, and being ready for music making in just a minute's time.
Kids might take up some time, but yeah, if you get kids, you know what you're in for...

WOLF!
Grand

Post by WOLF! »

I couldn't agree more with you Hades! It's totally luxury to have your studio at home.
It's also interesting in the context of studio breaks that you can exit the room and get to another non music room.
Of course in this topic is about someone who doesn't have the possibility to create a studio a his place.
But honestly I think having a studio at your own place is the best option.

Vorlis
hunger marcher

Post by Vorlis »

I was way more productive in my garage than in a shared space in town, even though it's only 25min walk away. I miss being able to wake up 4am, whack the housecoat on and power up the machines. Now I have to get dressed and actually make an effort!

WOLF!
Grand

Post by WOLF! »

Vorlis wrote: Now I have to get dressed
Well as a gearslut it's actually quite nice to make music when nude. It even gives you a extra finger to play synth with :).

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

WOLF! wrote:
Well as a gearslut it's actually quite nice to make music when nude. It even gives you a extra finger to play synth with :).
I'm making a mental note now that if I ever happen to get at your place, I ain't playing your keys. :D

Aurongroove
pregnant

Post by Aurongroove »

One of my current band mates got a job touring with a world famous folk band full of old people (and hated it).

It wasn't quite enough money to live happy forever, but it was too little to "not declare". So he put it into a studio, and that's where our band now rehearse and record our stuff (he also uses it for doing odd jobs, sounds for local stations and local songwriters).

It's a very large, Acoustically treated shed with a console room and a recording room, complete with a stove for heat.
The place has a lot of character and we've often worked into the night and just camped in the actual room. Since the sound treatment went in, it actually sounds quite good as well.

Me personally I have nothing. I used to have a dedicate room for dance music when I was young, but since finishing university, I'm lucky if I have a corner to put my laptop in with an audio interface and some good monitor headphones.

my "Studio" for Techno is essentially my laptop (this one) with an Onyx Blackjack and a pair of Sennheiser HD600's.
I'm Hilarious

Some professional mastering engineers use multi-band compressors.

Vorlis
hunger marcher

Post by Vorlis »

WOLF! wrote:
Your a dirty dog Mr WOLF! :lol:

Alume
Confetti

Post by Alume »

Hmm oke change of plans.

I'm going to look for a suitable room to build a semi-pro bedroom studio. Is that even a thing?

Say I'd like a 2p bed, the studio and a nice desk(for work&drawing). I;d be looking at a minimum of 20m2?

would it be possible to DIY treat it, should be right. And I use A7x's is it really important to keep those from the way?, even if the woofer is up front.