Ditching soundcloud?

General Chat // Music Discussion
Alume
Confetti
Ditching soundcloud?

Post by Alume »

What would happen if i ditched soundscloud?

I hardly use it to find new music, its only there to display my work and to promote previews for the label.

hypothetically speaking, how would it affect my music as an musician and how would it affect my label as a business/platform?

Its kind of a big leap and I guess I would have to replace it with something else.

Its just a thought though because its not all bad. but what if.. what do you think?

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt
Re: Ditching soundcloud?

Post by Lost to the Void »

I've let my pro account lapse to free this year.
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

Alume
Confetti

Post by Alume »

yeah me too last year, it wasnt worth it. I just have another account if this one gets full of wip's

its great for storing wips, but i dont really like the whole like/follower status thing behind it.

jordanneke
subsekt
subsekt

Post by jordanneke »

I use it quite a lot to listen to genres that I don't make, like Grime and stuff. I use it a lot at work as a radio station, especially the variety in the mixes.

I quite enjoy the directed 'randomness' of my feed and the suggestions.

As for the followers/ promo game, I don't really care.

Stace
Classical Approach

Post by Stace »

I guess it depends how you use it.

I really like to stream mixes and singles on my way to work. I really really for some unknown reason dislike the Mixcloud app, and the whole platform in general. I like the community on Soundcloud. I like that you can download from Soundcloud.

I have just started using Google Music and there are a few mixes on there but nowhere as many a SC. Like I said, I guess it depends on how you see yourself using it.

ashley BORG
Small Penis

Post by ashley BORG »

I use it as big mix playlist. Think i have around 300 mixes on there dating back around 3 years. It's pretty diverse, and good that I can hook up from any computer (home/work/laptop). (+1 with Stacie on Mixcloud it's shite!)
I'd guess that on a "professional" standpoint it's probably losing its usefulness.

Not sure what if anything will replicate what SC was able to do in it's formation years.

Barfunkel
Smalahove

Post by Barfunkel »

The problem with other platforms is that they don't usually integrate directly with discussion forums. Youtube does, but then you'd have to make a video for your music.

I dislike current SC quite a bit, mostly due to the crazy spam/real likes and comments ratio it has. I wonder why they don't wanna do anything about that, as it's basically the 3-5 same guys doing the spamming. Blocking & reporting them doesn't help as they have multiple accounts.
"I don't shower every day, but when I do, I do it after listening to some Barfunkel" - Anonymous

http://soundcloud.com/user4904810
http://www.mixcloud.com/Barfunkel/

ashley BORG
Small Penis

Post by ashley BORG »

I read somewhere that the new start up "tech" business model is to self finance, supply an app or whatever for free, build up a strong fan base, introduce relevant but affordable tiered paying system. All done with one eye or the intention of a major company either buying out or investing for tonnes of dollar-dollar.

After that the model changes completely, growth is more important than consolidating the customer base.

Not saying SC started in that manner, but it's current position has all the hallmarks of going from an independent to a major.

Really miffed in todays world of API integration why another SC hasn't happened, but I suppose in the end it's as much about the intentions of the people behind it.

Another Tech saying I've heard is that being the first to launch is imperative.
It's a bit like bitwig vs ableton.

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Sounds about right.
The best thing about sound cloud was the community early on. That's gone now.
If there were an alternative I'd be there in a shot.
New Shit

msl
║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█

Post by msl »

Lost to the Void wrote:Sounds about right.
Well Bandcamp are taking their first steps into making the site more social. That would be best solution, players embed and work on all social media too.

ashley BORG wrote:I read somewhere that the new start up "tech" business model is to self finance, supply an app or whatever for free, build up a strong fan base, introduce relevant but affordable tiered paying system. All done with one eye or the intention of a major company either buying out or investing for tonnes of dollar-dollar.
Yeah thats how it woks, you always have an exit strategy. The owners and original backers made their millions long ago. It did surprise me that they didn't care about retaining the organic and natural community that built up around the app. Since you can't buy that kinda community and loyalty for any amount of money.
www.bernadettetrax.bandcamp.com
www.soundcloud.com/michaellovatt

“Once men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free. But that only permitted other men with machines to enslave them.” Dune

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

msl wrote:
Well Bandcamp are taking their first steps into making the site more social. That would be best solution, players embed and work on all social media too.

Apart from here... We still run on Steam here.
New Shit

ashley BORG
Small Penis

Post by ashley BORG »

msl wrote:

Not sure how I feel about that. Suppose it depends on what social means. If it's purely about better integration on social media platforms, then that's cool. But if it's about adopting the whole "like" culture mentality, then for me that leads down the path of mass shitness. Which is ultimately what has brought SC to it's current plight in our eyes.

Alume
Confetti

Post by Alume »

Bandcamp is awesome but i dont see it as a social platform to connect. Its more about self presentation and getting at the right place but its not obviously about feedback and conversations.

A good social media music platform would be ace.

think I'd even like youtube more then SC. I recently got into it its quite nice actaully.

msl
║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█

Post by msl »

ashley BORG wrote:Not sure how I feel about that. Suppose it depends on what social means. If it's purely about better integration on social media platforms, then that's cool. But if it's about adopting the whole "like" culture mentality, then for me that leads down the path of mass shitness. Which is ultimately what has brought SC to it's current plight in our eyes.
Well atm its about showing peoples 'collections' which is kinda cool, and adding editorial magazine/blog style content. They already have a kind of like system they have 'supported by' which is kinda cool. Thing is its still not a music discovery app... and thats what the market needs. There is loads of fantastic music on BC but unless you already know the name you won't find it. I'm hoping BC slowly integrate some discovery aspects and are not such cunts as SC. I actually applied for a job with them last year, they seem sound and as a company.

Alume wrote:think I'd even like youtube more then SC. I recently got into it its quite nice actaully.
Yeah YT's algorithm is actually quite good I've gone down many an unexpectedly good rabbit hole. SC's algorithm is fucking abysmal.
www.bernadettetrax.bandcamp.com
www.soundcloud.com/michaellovatt

“Once men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free. But that only permitted other men with machines to enslave them.” Dune

ashley BORG
Small Penis

Post by ashley BORG »

msl wrote:
ashley BORG wrote:Not sure how I feel about that. Suppose it depends on what social means. If it's purely about better integration on social media platforms, then that's cool. But if it's about adopting the whole "like" culture mentality, then for me that leads down the path of mass shitness. Which is ultimately what has brought SC to it's current plight in our eyes.
Well atm its about showing peoples 'collections' which is kinda cool, and adding editorial magazine/blog style content. They already have a kind of like system they have 'supported by' which is kinda cool. Thing is its still not a music discovery app... and thats what the market needs. There is loads of fantastic music on BC but unless you already know the name you won't find it. I'm hoping BC slowly integrate some discovery aspects and are not such cunts as SC. I actually applied for a job with them last year, they seem sound and as a company.

Alume wrote:think I'd even like youtube more then SC. I recently got into it its quite nice actaully.
Yeah YT's algorithm is actually quite good I've gone down many an unexpectedly good rabbit hole. SC's algorithm is fucking abysmal.

Yeah I've always thought the collections and feed features were cool, and the "follow" aspects of the site are done tastefully.
Same as the feedback comments.

Strangely I don't mind the search element of BC. I know it's primitive compared to others, but there's something almost oldschool record shop about it (. someone in the shop to guide). You know like flicking through rows of records, choosing based on random factors such as track names or artwork.
I feel on BC, there's more chance of finding a hidden gem.

Anyhow progression is good, so as long as they're able to manage their growth without compromising principles, then all is good.

Mslwte
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Mslwte »

as long as the cam girls keep messaging me, ill be keeping my soundcloud account for a while longer.
https://soundcloud.com/mslwte
https://noizefacilityrecords.bandcamp.com
https://www.instagram.com/subsekt909
https://www.facebook.com/subsekt909/
Lost to the Void wrote:Fuck off, get some tequila down ya neck and make some noise you cunt....

Stace
Classical Approach

Post by Stace »

:lol: