Nerds vs Musicians

General Chat // Music Discussion
chava
You only live once
Re: Nerds vs Musicians

Post by chava »

Lost to the Void wrote:
gedda wrote:Honestly, they are both geeks. electronic music is pretty nerdy anyways.

This. Electronic music is a geekfest of nerdy musicians.
I'm ok with that.
Embrace it, you will never look rock and roll pushing buttons and turning knobs.
Depends what you mean by geek. If you mean geek as in overly interested in technology, science, math etc if would not be far fetched to conclude that mainly relying on left-hemisphere activity will result in a certain kind of music. Some would even argue that is why quite a lot of electronic music are emotionally void or at best terribly cliched when it comes to conveying emotions or just basic human experiences.
Also most electronic "musicians" end up making their living as producers/technicians, not as artists.

parents
Opposite

Post by parents »

To me it's all a matter of what music really is. There are many definitions and many different approaches. I believe that music is organized sound in a way that it can produce an aeshetic result. Soundscapes are music to me, electroacoustic and acousmatic music too. But not all ppl think the same. In any case I agree that all electronic music producers have to be tech - magnetized.
Oh .... and there is still really good trance coming out mostly from small labels!

The_G
Artificial Hazard

Post by The_G »

I haven't heard any trance I like since 1993 maybe. Well, okay, I heard it in 1995 but it was from 1993!

If there is some that doesn't abjectly blow and isn't just super saws 'till dawn, then sure I'll be open to it. But I'll need to hear the evidence first :P

disparate
I forgot.... So baked.

Post by disparate »

parents wrote:To me it's all a matter of what music really is. There are many definitions and many different approaches. I believe that music is organized sound in a way that it can produce an aeshetic result. Soundscapes are music to me, electroacoustic and acousmatic music too. But not all ppl think the same. In any case I agree that all electronic music producers have to be tech - magnetized.
I pretty much see things the same way so I've never got my head around the people who think, say, guitar music is more 'real music' :lol: although I think they're thankfully a dying breed...

I know some nerdy techno producers and some more 'musician' type ones and same for other genres, I can't really generalise.

parents
Opposite

Post by parents »

disparate wrote:
parents wrote:To me it's all a matter of what music really is. There are many definitions and many different approaches. I believe that music is organized sound in a way that it can produce an aeshetic result. Soundscapes are music to me, electroacoustic and acousmatic music too. But not all ppl think the same. In any case I agree that all electronic music producers have to be tech - magnetized.
I pretty much see things the same way so I've never got my head around the people who think, say, guitar music is more 'real music' :lol: although I think they're thankfully a dying breed...

I know some nerdy techno producers and some more 'musician' type ones and same for other genres, I can't really generalise.

Check out this album. Slow tempo...120 bpm without loosing the feeling of psy. And it is free for download as all music at this label!!

http://www.liquidseed.net/releases/lsd0 ... ime-no-see

tsaro
Lifer

Post by tsaro »

disparate wrote:
guitar music is more 'real music'
Next time someone tells you this, just show them this clip:

youtu.be/EK7K-9BZ8fA

The rest are all nerds and posers, sax music or gtfo

edit: can't embed timecode, the music starts 12 seconds in if you're in a hurry
how far do you want to go

drone
Get a fucking avatar

Post by drone »

Much as I try not to stereotype, the phrase 'trance music' makes me think of Ibiza bangers.

'Techno' on the other hand is a much more elusive and wide-reaching term. I speculate that people towards the more underground/industrial side probably do it for the love of the scene, but when you get to commercial trance (and indeed the commercial end of most genres) I picture the seasoned producer, approaching middle age, who churns out music for the dollars - these guys represent a different kind of geek I think.
All that we see or seem is but a dream within a dream.

drone
Get a fucking avatar

Post by drone »

I remember reading an interview with Regis actually where he stated that he loves 'hypnotic' music but that the widely accepted definition of 'trance' is probably just bad music. I kind of agree (with no disrespect meant to anybody whose tastes differ from my own).

terryfalafel
Component

Post by terryfalafel »

drone wrote:with no disrespect meant to anybody whose tastes differ from my own
You're not going to fit in round here with that kind of tolerant and respectful attitude sonny boy ;-)

jordanneke
subsekt
subsekt

Post by jordanneke »

terryfalafel wrote:
You're not going to fit in round here with that kind of tolerant and respectful attitude sonny boy ;-)
This is why we need to build a fire-wall, and a 'temporary' ban on all those people who like trance from immigrating from other forums.

We need to make Subsekt Great Again.

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Lost to the Void »

A lot of good dance music is trance music, in that it is repetitive and hypnotic.
Techno IS trance.

It`s easy to shit on other genre`s when you get too deep in to one.
Techno has just as much turgid commercial muck as trance with middle aged money driven asshats. (Look at what happened to Bumcode).
But once you are in to Techno, you dig in and find the interesting stuff at the edges.
Same with trance.
Same with any genre.
Personally I have always been more interested in music that is artful, passionate, and that strives to be unique. Regardless of genre. If there is Trance like that, I`ll probably dig it.

Except scouse house and donk, those fuckers need murdering, sealing in concrete and dumping in the north sea.
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

mainst09
Traits

Post by mainst09 »

Lost to the Void wrote:
mainst09 wrote:lol trance is more than that progressive trance shit which is shit by the way. the new wave of dark psy trance is really good!
Yeah, I was kinda "nope, nothing new for me here any more" about trance (well, psytrance) as it was the same arpeggios, plop plop drums etc. But I heard a whole set of new, underground dark, hypnotic psy played by a girl at some afterparty I was at in spain, and it was phenominal, ended up grabbing her at the end of the set and having a long conversation. Really great music, definitely with a more feminine edge to it as well, as techno can be a bit testosteroneybaloney.

yeah man really, current dark psy is really well done and you can clearly notice the techno influence in there, the groove and the sounds, it's just way more faster and hard to understand but as soon you start enjoying it, you will really dive in!
Voices From Cindy's Cunt

jordanneke
subsekt
subsekt

Post by jordanneke »

Yo Pedro, can you post up some examples?

winston
unsure

Post by winston »

chava wrote:
Depends what you mean by geek. If you mean geek as in overly interested in technology, science, math etc if would not be far fetched to conclude that mainly relying on left-hemisphere activity will result in a certain kind of music. Some would even argue that is why quite a lot of electronic music are emotionally void or at best terribly cliched when it comes to conveying emotions or just basic human experiences.
Also most electronic "musicians" end up making their living as producers/technicians, not as artists.
i'd say a lot of music is emotionally void because it is easier to make noise that sounds pleasing than to make noise that is emotional. the original Belleville 3 techno was trying to turn an idea into music: "what would X sound like if Y was real"-type of idea. but now it is easy to pull up a box a make a loop and modulate a few things for 6 minutes and have a decent tune at the end, but does it really do anything for anyone? like Hi-Tech No Soul.

maybe that means i think like a musician more than a nerd as i'm more on the music should make you feel something side. maybe(probably) i'm looking at things in a biased way because of how i see things.

mainst09
Traits

Post by mainst09 »

jordanneke wrote:Yo Pedro, can you post up some examples?
sure, here are some examples entertain yourselves probably 95% of you guys wont like it, but anyways!!!

I recommend you listenin to "Ajja", "Arjuna", "Kindzadza"(the faster of them all) and "Kaos"

youtu.be/wTxOfFI87gk

youtu.be/BtMXOju_a5k

youtu.be/RLjRyiX5d1w

youtu.be/RAvEKLg6E6o

Voices From Cindy's Cunt

borg
Lifer

Post by borg »

on the first listen, this all sounds like 25 year old Eat Static to me. I expected something else...
Andy
the lunatics are in the hall...

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Lost to the Void »

Yeah this isn`t like the stuff I heard that I was talking about, it avoided cliches like poppy kick drums and dugga dugga basslines etc. I suppose to call it anything it was modern tech trance.
People probably forgot or missed it, but in the late late 90`s and early 00`s when (original actually quite good, pre-bumcode) tech house was around, there was also Tech-Trance.
Which was like this

youtu.be/W1YcA_hgxSI

youtu.be/I4yFl2rbU3Y

youtu.be/as9POMxblLI

I released a bit of tech trance back in the day too.

What I heard was a modern extension of this, but a little bit more psy-ish
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

drone
Get a fucking avatar

Post by drone »

terryfalafel wrote:
Ha, well I thought it only right to keep the limiter on until I'd slipped under the r....ahem, I mean until people realised I was such a benevolent individual. :twisted:

drone
Get a fucking avatar

Post by drone »

Tbh, it's only really the past 5-6 years that I've considered techno to be my favourite genre, although I tend not to think of things in absolutes. Bit of a latecomer. I did really dig some of the tunes released around the turn of the century though. The Birmingham stuff and some of Neil Landstrumm's spring to mind. Tunes like Glamourama and Prog 2 Bitchy had a kind of gleeful perversity to them which I like. I'm woefully out of touch with a lot of the newer stuff though.

When I listen to a lot of the more 'experimental' stuff I used to like it often strikes me as the electronic equivalent of guitar wankery with the exception of Jega's Geometry and a few others.

EDIT: Sorry, totally off topic. Need some sleep!

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

terryfalafel wrote:'trance people are this and techno people are this' is generalising on the same level as 'black people are good at basketball' or 'women are bad drivers'

Bullshit.
Hans Teeuwen would say :
"let's just be honest and admit there are differences.
Some races are good in running and rhythms,
others in leadership"

:lol:
Sin cambios no hay mariposa