Nerds vs Musicians

General Chat // Music Discussion
parents
Opposite
Nerds vs Musicians

Post by parents »

I had this conversation the other day with some progressive - psychedelic trance friends about the profile of people doing dance music. Their percpective was that people who do trance are more musicians deep inside than people that do techno and people that do techno are more nerdish with music technology than people doing trance. Personally I ve met a lot of people with a strong theoritical - musical background doing both and also tech nerds doing both. What do you think of this?

terly
arsehole
Re: Nerds vs Musicians

Post by terly »

This is subjective but I think there is more musical creativity happening in techno than in trance. In trance there are more melodies but they are very same-y and cringey. The melodies in some techno are a lot more tasteful. Some might call it all trance but I consider someone like Mathew Jonson to be a techno artist rather than a trance artist.

There definitely are a lot of nerds in techno but being a nerd doesn't preclude you from being a musician. It actually helps.

The_G
Artificial Hazard

Post by The_G »

Trance producers have been writing the same melodies for the same super saw leads for 20+ years now, so no.

terryfalafel
Component

Post by terryfalafel »

'trance people are this and techno people are this' is generalising on the same level as 'black people are good at basketball' or 'women are bad drivers'

Bullshit.

Alume
Confetti

Post by Alume »

hear hear!

collide
Smore

Post by collide »

Oliver Lieb did some awesome Trance in the '90 and he is very nerdy as well.

Kobosil is a shitty musician.

Totally subjectiv of course. ;-)

mainst09
Traits

Post by mainst09 »

lol trance is more than that progressive trance shit which is shit by the way. the new wave of dark psy trance is really good!
Voices From Cindy's Cunt

zukenbauer
You only live once

Post by zukenbauer »

terryfalafel wrote:'trance people are this and techno people are this' is generalising on the same level as 'black people are good at basketball' or 'women are bad drivers'

Bullshit.
Agree with this

rmac
broke

Post by rmac »

I started producing trance years ago when a teenager and as I have aged into my late 20s have slowly slipped towards techno.

Trance i guess depends on more typical happy sounding harmonies and chords, but some types of techno is suited to dissonant type melodies which I personally find musically harder to pull off than the more happy type melodies of trance without sounding like a baby randomly smashing a keyboard. But thats just me!

chava
You only live once

Post by chava »

Musical nerds, they're the worst

parents
Opposite

Post by parents »

chava wrote:Musical nerds, they're the worst

Now that's the spirit!!! :D

Huck Farper
Alf Garnett

Post by Huck Farper »

mainst09 wrote:lol trance is more than that progressive trance shit which is shit by the way. the new wave of dark psy trance is really good!
No, it's really not. :D

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Lost to the Void »

mainst09 wrote:lol trance is more than that progressive trance shit which is shit by the way. the new wave of dark psy trance is really good!
Yeah, I was kinda "nope, nothing new for me here any more" about trance (well, psytrance) as it was the same arpeggios, plop plop drums etc. But I heard a whole set of new, underground dark, hypnotic psy played by a girl at some afterparty I was at in spain, and it was phenominal, ended up grabbing her at the end of the set and having a long conversation. Really great music, definitely with a more feminine edge to it as well, as techno can be a bit testosteroneybaloney.
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

Aurongroove
pregnant

Post by Aurongroove »

Your friends are wrong, and have a simplistic view of what makes up music.
Trance isn't "more music-ier" then techno and the only way a person could be mislead into thinking it is, is if they held the incorrect assumption that harmony and melody are more important, or "higher ranked" musical elements them rhythm and texture are, when in fact, their is no stead fast "tier list" of which elements of music matter the most.

The truth is no musical element (Melody, Harmony, Rhythm, Texture, Voicing, etc) "out ranks" any other. There are too many different styles of music that switch them around and even leave elements out completely.

Would they say "complex rhythmical tribal percussion musicians, are less musicians and more drum nerds, then the melodic tribal musicians"
I'm Hilarious

Some professional mastering engineers use multi-band compressors.

gedda
Metric Martyr

Post by gedda »

Honestly, they are both geeks. electronic music is pretty nerdy anyways.

Stace
Classical Approach

Post by Stace »

terryfalafel wrote:'trance people are this and techno people are this' is generalising on the same level as 'black people are good at basketball' or 'women are bad drivers'

Bullshit.

Stace
Classical Approach

Post by Stace »

Lost to the Void wrote:
Yeah, I was kinda "nope, nothing new for me here any more" about trance (well, psytrance) as it was the same arpeggios, plop plop drums etc. But I heard a whole set of new, underground dark, hypnotic psy played by a girl at some afterparty I was at in spain, and it was phenominal, ended up grabbing her at the end of the set and having a long conversation. Really great music, definitely with a more feminine edge to it as well, as techno can be a bit testosteroneybaloney.
Have you got a link to her stuff online by any chance?? Wouldn't mind a nosey.

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Lost to the Void »

gedda wrote:Honestly, they are both geeks. electronic music is pretty nerdy anyways.

This. Electronic music is a geekfest of nerdy musicians.
I'm ok with that.
Embrace it, you will never look rock and roll pushing buttons and turning knobs.
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

collide
Smore

Post by collide »

Lost to the Void wrote: Image
:lol:

tsaro
Lifer

Post by tsaro »

Misleading thread title, expected something like nerds and musicians trying to slap each other with their keyboard of choice or something :P

Got me wondering though, how do they actually make the trance? Surely fiddling with DAWs and plugins is kind of nerdy, so that would be off the table for those cool and totally not-nerdy trance guys.... I guess they just have a fancy portable recorder or something and re-record the same track over and over, which actually does make a lot of sense when you think about it.

Bullshit.
So you're basically saying it's true to some extent? Granted it's not really 'hard' science, but there's been plenty of research on those examples you give here.
how far do you want to go