Gettin' old

General Chat // Music Discussion
jordanneke
subsekt
subsekt
Gettin' old

Post by jordanneke »

Fucking hell people.

I'm older, fatter, balder, less handsome, and no where near as successful career wise as the 12 yr old me thought i'd be.

I used to be 'hip' and trendy and do and see cool shit man, oh yeah and PARRRRTAAAAY.

Admittedly I am now able to fire up the bbq every fucking night, but still.......Not the excitement of spending the weekend re-enacting scarface/ human traffic/ insert name of rude flick.

Anyone else feel the creep of self disappointment and mid life crisis coming in?

Or am I just the only cunt. :D

Alume
Confetti
Re: Gettin' old

Post by Alume »

Get that shit man.

#neverlookback

The_G
Artificial Hazard

Post by The_G »

Advantages of Advanced Age

*More/better BBQ meat consumption
*Don't give a fuck about dumb meaningless shit anymore
*More money to spend on music related stuff
*Your kids are actually really great when they are not being assholes

Disadvantages of Advanced Age

*Can't party/stay awake/eat giant piles of BBQ'd meat like you used to
*Back goes out like, what, five times a year?
*More responsibilities and time commitments keeping you away from music
*Sometimes your kids are assholes
*Other people's kids always on your lawn

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Lost to the Void »

I've had an interesting life and it continues to be interesting.
So no, no mid life crisis, I still want to smash everything and watch it burn.
Definitely less hedonistic now (though I did have a lovely psychadelic session last week as we were both "on holiday" at home for a week, as we bought a new place we dont have money for a holiday abroad. Decided to do up some magic mushroom tea and lock myself in the studio for a day.), but I would ruined or dead if I maintained my hedonism of the rave years.
Life is what you make of it. I have my problems and my journeys to the dark room to deal with, but overall I'm ok with getting older. Still doing exciting and differrnt things, no kids to tie us down so live a very free life compared to most of our friends.
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

jordanneke
subsekt
subsekt

Post by jordanneke »

The_G wrote:Advantages of Advanced Age

*More/better BBQ meat consumption
*Don't give a fuck about dumb meaningless shit anymore
*More money to spend on music related stuff
*Your kids are actually really great when they are not being assholes

Disadvantages of Advanced Age

*Can't party/stay awake/eat giant piles of BBQ'd meat like you used to
*Back goes out like, what, five times a year?
*More responsibilities and time commitments keeping you away from music
*Sometimes your kids are assholes
*Other people's kids always on your lawn
Mate - That's like 100% spot on. Especially the fucking injuries man. Like seriously, wtf will it be like at 60?

jordanneke
subsekt
subsekt

Post by jordanneke »

Lost to the Void wrote:I've had an interesting life and it continues to be interesting.
Definitely less hedonistic now (though I did have a lovely psychadelic session last week as we were both "on holiday" at home for a week, as we bought a new place we dont have money for a holiday abroad. Decided to do up some magic mushroom tea and lock myself in the studio for a day.), but I would ruined or dead if I maintained my hedonism of the rave years.
Life is what you make of it. I have my problems and my journeys to the dark room to deal with, but overall I'm ok with getting older. Still doing exciting and differrnt things, no kids to tie us down so live a very free life compared to most of our friends.

That's the thing. I'm totally happy with the kids and life, but that means saying good-bye to the dangerous fun stuff that I used to do.

Not that I really want to go back, but having the option just to do it would be cool.

But spending 3 days acting like Hunter S Thompson now would make me feel like an incredibly shitty dad. So I don't :D :(

Stace
Classical Approach

Post by Stace »

I often wonder this about where I am going, what I am doing and why I am doing it.

I have had many a mental crisis type event over this kind of thing but the conclusion I have come to is that it doesn't really matter what you thought your life would be as long as you are happy where you are well, for most of the time.
I think for the most part when you are young you imagine your life panning out in a way that is so ill-informed you cant ever really be realistic out what you *should* expect.

If you are with someone that they are someone that you are prepared to try make things work with and realise that you can't be happy but are still willing to try in those times you are not happy.

I don't know if the rest really matters, it is just everyone trying to get by in life the best way they can. There is no rule book, no right, no wrong. Just people.

Wiu
Slowy J

Post by Wiu »

Lost contact with friends after they all settled down, got married and had kids. Stuck in a low paid shitty job after being made redundant. Mortgage to pay (if interest rates go up I'll be in serious financial shit and could lose my flat). No girlfriend and any prospect of that changing if I'm honest. Generally rather hate filled most days. I really can't remember the last time I was actually in a happy good place. So yah, getting old is awesome. FML :cry:

Oh, and I hate the hot weather, so am extra grumpy this time of year.
Thank you for the laughs, debate, new music found, production tips etc etc over the years. I wish Subsekt and everyone all the best for the future. Wiu.

Stace
Classical Approach

Post by Stace »

Wiu, I generally find that if I think about things as a whole it leave me feeling waq. I have to mentally break down things to consider them in any rational way. I can't think about "the bigger picture" whatever the fuck that is.

The_G
Artificial Hazard

Post by The_G »

Yeah I've got no complaints (except for the back going out thing). And I'm making more/better music than when I was younger, so there's that too.

The_G
Artificial Hazard

Post by The_G »

jordanneke wrote:
Lost to the Void wrote:I've had an interesting life and it continues to be interesting.

That's the thing. I'm totally happy with the kids and life, but that means saying good-bye to the dangerous fun stuff that I used to do.

Not that I really want to go back, but having the option just to do it would be cool.

But spending 3 days acting like Hunter S Thompson now would make me feel like an incredibly shitty dad. So I don't :D :(
This goes for me too.

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Lost to the Void »

Fuck, i proper threw my back out a couple of years back, that shocked me.
I've generally been pretty indestructable my whole life, worked as a bouncer for years, and kept security at our raves, held my own when outnumbered, could take a beating, had a cast iron jaw, throwing soundsystem in and out of trucks every week no problem.
Then I threw my back out doing nothing in particular.
WTF?
I still have the mindset of the beast I was though, the missus is always telling me off for humping stuff around I shouldn't be carrying. Definitely need to get my head around that. That part of getting older sucks.

I mean I dont get in to troublesome siutations any more, so thats all good... But.
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

sergiobR1
Wastedddd

Post by sergiobR1 »

i'm 25 and i'm getting bald already. **cries**
we speak of art with flaming passion
then do work void of compassion
and wonder why reality is bleeding fiction

TvSkY
Paul Gadd

Post by TvSkY »

life never turns out 100% like what you expected and there are always decisions you could have made differently that may have had a better outcome

but were all sitting here on our computers , relatively happy , safe , fed , warm , talking about and making music

cant complain too much......

ozias_leduc
ANAL

Post by ozias_leduc »

34 here. no kids. lovely GF. good job. good home.

but as someone who spends a lot of time making music that's basically designed for clubs, it often troubles me how little i can be arsed going to clubs anymore.

for me - clubs and raves only make really sense when you're hiiiiigh. otherwise i find them fairly unpleasant settings.

but i want to make a living from music. djing all over the world! but also; that sounds awful to me.

jordanneke
subsekt
subsekt

Post by jordanneke »

Lost to the Void wrote:
I still have the mindset of the beast I was
This hits the nail on the head. I used to be able to party like Shaun Ryder, then get up the next day and go mountain biking for 5 hrs.

Now any one of the above activities will require serious recovery time, body soreness, and strong painkillers.

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

sergiobR1 wrote:i'm 25 and i'm getting bald already. **cries**
dude, what's the problem with that ?
if you're a guy, all you gotta do is shave it all off.
our sexist society makes women believe bald men or men with grey hair are sexy.
women on the other hand, are expected to always die their hair, or most men are gonna think "fuck off".

however, I am very blessed with my hair.
apart from 3 or 4 grey hairs, no sign of baldness at all yet.
so, yeah, I kind of feel for you like I feel for at least 50% of my friends who have this problem... :mrgreen:
Sin cambios no hay mariposa

jordanneke
subsekt
subsekt

Post by jordanneke »

Wiu wrote:Lost contact with friends after they all settled down, got married and had kids. Stuck in a low paid shitty job after being made redundant. Mortgage to pay (if interest rates go up I'll be in serious financial shit and could lose my flat). No girlfriend and any prospect of that changing if I'm honest. Generally rather hate filled most days. I really can't remember the last time I was actually in a happy good place. So yah, getting old is awesome. FML :cry:

Man, that sounds a bit shit if i'm honest. Are you in good health?

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

jordanneke wrote:
Lost to the Void wrote:
I still have the mindset of the beast I was
This hits the nail on the head. I used to be able to party like Shaun Ryder, then get up the next day and go mountain biking for 5 hrs.

Now any one of the above activities will require serious recovery time, body soreness, and strong painkillers.
I still do that sometimes.
I get myself some excellent E, throw 2 bikes in the car, drive over to the Eifel mountains with one of my best friends,
go biking for a whole day, eat a huge steak, do E and drink a lot of beer,
then get up the next morning and go drive for another few hours.
Of course, it won't be as great as it could be, but I can still do it.
But yeah, not for a few days straight allright... :)

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

jordanneke wrote:
Wiu wrote:Lost contact with friends after they all settled down, got married and had kids. Stuck in a low paid shitty job after being made redundant. Mortgage to pay (if interest rates go up I'll be in serious financial shit and could lose my flat). No girlfriend and any prospect of that changing if I'm honest. Generally rather hate filled most days. I really can't remember the last time I was actually in a happy good place. So yah, getting old is awesome. FML :cry:

Man, that sounds a bit shit if i'm honest. Are you in good health?
he needs another drum computer !

nah, seriously, he needs more booty and less drum computers ;)