Spotify and Amazon ‘sue songwriters’ with appeal against 44% royalty rise in the United States

General Chat // Music Discussion
Ben Kohonays
Eclipsed
Spotify and Amazon ‘sue songwriters’ with appeal against 44% royalty rise in the United States

Post by Ben Kohonays »

https://www.musicbusinessworldwide.com/ ... KbpgXjcdXs
The CRB’s final determination gave songwriters only their second meaningful rate increase in 110 years. Instead of accepting the CRB’s decision which still values songs less than their fair market value, Spotify and Amazon have declared war on the songwriting community by appealing that decision.
0dd wrote: Gotta love the subsekt derail ethic.

winston
unsure
Re: Spotify and Amazon ‘sue songwriters’ with appeal against 44% royalty rise in the United States

Post by winston »

does anyone use spotify to release their music? what is the royalty rate you get on there?

best spotify story ever was this one about the "Bulgarian hacker" who spent 12k a month to play music he owned 24/7 and made 1/4 million a month

https://www.inverse.com/article/41573-s ... -list-scam

juodas
Indirection
Re: Spotify and Amazon ‘sue songwriters’ with appeal against 44% royalty rise in the United States

Post by juodas »

winston wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2019 7:27 am
does anyone use spotify to release their music? what is the royalty rate you get on there?

best spotify story ever was this one about the "Bulgarian hacker" who spent 12k a month to play music he owned 24/7 and made 1/4 million a month

https://www.inverse.com/article/41573-s ... -list-scam
I saw playlist factory, where it was room full of phones and playing the tracks of spevific artis just to get plays and collect royalties, but i think they're fixing it algorhythms which allow certain amount of plays from account and it's is one of the reasons why they're against it.

Ben Kohonays
Eclipsed

Post by Ben Kohonays »

winston wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2019 7:27 am
It's not really a distributor like apple or CD Baby, it's about streaming.

I'm not really up on the figures, but according to some of the conversation in the comments at the end of that article;
Slipknot earned $106,000 on a track that was played 177 million times. Not a great return. Don't know how accurate those figures are, but there are plenty of stories around the net about how little you get paid by spotify.
0dd wrote: Gotta love the subsekt derail ethic.

winston
unsure

Post by winston »

that's about 6¢ per 100 plays. i remember seeing Slam post on instagram the end of year spotify total for last year which i think said they had 1million streams.
i guess one debate is whether you consider it some form of marketing or listener/fan retention and accept the low rate instead of it being a true source of income like selling music traditionally would be. like how companies have social media managers who are just a cost centre but they have value in building and maintaining brand image and a customer relationship, it's almost like a required avenue to keep people interacting with your brand.
i've never used spotify.

jordanneke
subsekt
subsekt

Post by jordanneke »

177 million plays!? 100grand. 0.06c per play.

Fuuuuck me.

dubdub
Asphyxiwank

Post by dubdub »

From what I have seen online, around 0.06 is average at Spotify. It seem to range from around 0.03 to 0.10 depending on some obscure algorithmic metrics.

chava
You only live once

Post by chava »

1 mio stream for a top techno/dance act with a reasonable back catalogue is probably on the low end. I guess some have way more across platforms. Maybe they (Slam - suprising to me to see they're still in the mix btw) need to game the playlist a bit more.

With bandcamp providing downloads/subscriptions and merchandise (which include vinyl I guess, hard for me as a vinyl freak to label it as such) for the hardcore fans things probably add up. Of course it is not like back then when people got ripped off by the CD boom, but it is not all bleak now.

And I am not fan of Spotify for a range of other causes and I do miss the vinyl/record store digging experience a lot.

Barfunkel
Smalahove

Post by Barfunkel »

How much does radio pay btw? I mean, if you broadcast a song, let's say 177 times, each time for 1 million listeners, does the composer etc make more or less than on Spotify, when it's listened 177 million times?

Well radio doesn't pay directly, the performance right organisations collect money from stations, then distribute it the the composers etc. But anyway.
"I don't shower every day, but when I do, I do it after listening to some Barfunkel" - Anonymous

http://soundcloud.com/user4904810
http://www.mixcloud.com/Barfunkel/

Vorlis
hunger marcher

Post by Vorlis »

Barfunkel wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:25 am
How much does radio pay btw?
I remember being told that it’s roughly £60 per play from a national station with a huge audience like BBC Radio 1 and £30 for smaller more localised stations like BBC Radio Ulster [northern ireland]. As long as the recordings are registered with the ppl [isrc codes etc] and artist with prs all plays should be accounted for.

I don’t know how accurate the figures are but the dude was very convincing and seemed to know what he was on about. Or maybe I’m just a gullible twat :D

Edit: Went and had a look. You get paid by the minute. So.....
BBC Radio 1: £13.63 per minute
BBC Radio 2: £24.27 per minute
BBC 6 Music: £5.25 per minute

Radio 2 is where ya want em spinz bais!

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.pres ... format=amp

borg
Lifer

Post by borg »

this is from 2010, so don't know how accurate this is.

I once did a tour with a guy who wrote one of the best selling Flemish singles ever (Dutch language, roughly an audience of 6 million people). A massive hit here about 10 years ago (16 weeks in the number one spot, on all stations). Got himself a nice house from airplay royalties alone after 2 years, and money was still coming in. Add gigs, actual sales...
Slipknot will not die poor if they have a few braincells to spare.
Andy
the lunatics are in the hall...

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Lost to the Void »

It`s not that simple though.
Quite often when you sign a deal (in the example of slipknot), you only get a percentage of royalties, plus you have to pay for studio hire, recording, mixing, mastering AND manufacturing. promotion etc. That all comes out of the advance/profits.

It`s not uncommon for bands to end up in debt on an album, even after shifting all initial units.
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

borg
Lifer

Post by borg »

Seems like badly played then, to me. But if you want everything to be Big... Industry Rock Stardom comes at a price then.
Touring bands the size of Slipknot, now that seems like a bottomless pit. Extensive crew and backline, truck, managers and assistants, fancy night liners, hotels, drivers, ego's,...
Andy
the lunatics are in the hall...

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Lost to the Void »

That`s just the music business mate. The old model record contracts always fucked the artists.
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.