Yamaha DX200

General Chat // Music Discussion
Pelecaras
Lifer
Yamaha DX200

Post by Pelecaras »

I took a trip to a mate of a mates house tonight and he let me have a play with his yamaha DX200, I fucking loved it, right up my street. I offered him £500 on the spot but he said he uses it too much to get rid.

I know they're as rare as rocking-horse shit but I got a real stiffy for one.

Anyone know how often they come up on fleabay?

(Also my status reads "no avatar = thick bastard" well.....I am a thick bastard, how do I add an avatar :lol: :lol: :lol: )
FUCK-WIT

terryfalafel
Component
Re: Yamaha DX200

Post by terryfalafel »

User control panel > profile > edit avatar

Críoch
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Críoch »

Always wanted one as well.. However, as I've found out more about them - an200 & dx200.. The less I'm interested. The majority of the editing is only accessible via software. The an200 sounds great. Good presets that you can tweak.. But I was frustrated by not being able to access all the parameters from the front panel.

I reckon the dx200 is the same. It's got 6 operators, which I remember seeing lots of pages & parameters for in its editor.. But if it's anything like the An200, fuck all of those will be available from the front panel. There's just not enough buttons etc..

Which is a pity as I've always wanted a dx200. They do sound great, just I think I'd be frustrated by lack of tweakability. Probably would have got around it if there were editors available for Mac, but all I could see were either quite expensive or free & missing lots of important features. You'd wanna do some homework on them before you buy anything as the fantasy & reality are 2 different things with these boxes IMO. If you are happy to tweak presets., then fire away.
KennethExack wrote:My kids and I are completely shocked by the specialized secrets that everyone has on this forum
>> Click here for NEW POSTS on subsekt <<

Dialog I The Hole I subsekt Blog I The Bench I IG I SC I Mixes I FB

Críoch
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Críoch »

Oh, and they're expensive on eBay as they are often sold for the PLG voice card within. People remove them & put it into some Yamaha workstation synth as a FM or AN expansion.
KennethExack wrote:My kids and I are completely shocked by the specialized secrets that everyone has on this forum

WOLF!
Grand

Post by WOLF! »

I once had one and quickly sold it back.
The pain in the ass with the DX200 is that the majority of the editing is only accessible via software (as allready told by ICN).
The sound is great but I got turned off by the use of the editor.
I want to make sound from the synth or module itself and not with the editor.
The old editor works in Windows7 so that is nice.
The encoders off yamaha are also a weak point so keep that in mind when buying one!
The internet is full of patches for the DX200 (thousands of them) but for tweaking them there is just not enough control... .

Mslwte
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Mslwte »

The reface dx is out now, which is probably the best way to have FM hardware these days.

They do come up on eBay from time to time but they are rare. I've seen more an200 tbh. I was also interested but John convinced me not to.
https://soundcloud.com/mslwte
https://noizefacilityrecords.bandcamp.com
https://www.instagram.com/subsekt909
https://www.facebook.com/subsekt909/
Lost to the Void wrote:Fuck off, get some tequila down ya neck and make some noise you cunt....

Críoch
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Críoch »

I don't doubt that there has been lots of great music made on both machines & that lots of folk are using them still.. They are used by Forward Strategy Group & Oliver Kucera also ATM. Oliver is always performing with them. Great sound.. But given the price, I'd be frustrated at only being able to access 'one page' of Osc 1 or Operator 1., and only having some of the parameters available.

As far as I understood, you couldn't detune osc 2 on the AN200 without accessing the editor. Fuck that. As cool and all as they are, I at least expect to be able to do something like that lol - esp. given the price tag.

Dx200 would be same.

Pelecaras
Lifer

Post by Pelecaras »

You're right that it's a pain in the arse to edit them, it's just that I had so much fun playing with one that I'd still kind of like to get one, haven't treated myself to a "toy" in ages and this just seems like the perfect thing to sit around and noodle on when I've got a half hour to kill.

I saw one on ebay about 3-4 weeks ago but at the time I wasn't aware how great they sounded. I suppose I'll just have to do some research and stay patient.
What is the reface DX?

Cheers guys.
FUCK-WIT

Pelecaras
Lifer

Post by Pelecaras »

Going back to the mate of a mates to have another go with his and quiz him as to editing ect.
FUCK-WIT

Críoch
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Críoch »

Good idea! Do let us know how you get on.

I've always got an eye out for one ( despite what I've said!! ), so would love to hear more & hopefully be awfully wrong. I've only had the AN200.. So possibly the DX has differences.

WOLF!
Grand

Post by WOLF! »

ICN wrote:so would love to hear more & hopefully be awfully wrong. I've only had the AN200.. So possibly the DX has differences.
Sorry the AN200 and DX200 are both a pain in the ass to edit :).
The editor is definitely needed to edit most of the parameters.

Wiu
Slowy J

Post by Wiu »

I've had the DX200 on my wantlist for ages. I'd probably only pic one up if it was an absolute steal though. And going by the prices they always seem to go for, that will never happen. I never realised you couldn't edit all parameters without an editor though. Might actually take it off the wishlist now.
Thank you for the laughs, debate, new music found, production tips etc etc over the years. I wish Subsekt and everyone all the best for the future. Wiu.

Pelecaras
Lifer

Post by Pelecaras »

Well despite the issue of editing I am now the proud owner of a yamaha DX200. Been to collect it today, turns out there was one for sale on gumtree and at a reasonable price.

Can't wait to get tweaking...but not today...I'm off for some ZZZZZZZ cos had to get up at crazy o clock to drive all way to Somerset to buy it. Fookin' knackered I am.

Also just checked my emails and because I only purchased d16 decimort in October I have got a free upgrade to version 2 (out tomorrow)

Happy days :D
FUCK-WIT

Críoch
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Críoch »

Good man!!

You'll always get your money back with it. They're a good buy that way.

WOLF!
Grand

Post by WOLF! »

Congratz and happy honeymooning with the DX200!

Críoch
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Críoch »

Dont get it pregnant! :D

Pelecaras
Lifer

Post by Pelecaras »

ICN wrote:Dont get it pregnant! :D

:lol: I wish!!!! But my fucking dick's not big enough to fit in the headphone socket :lol: :lol: :lol:
FUCK-WIT

Críoch
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Críoch »

Hmmm.. Bragger or liar?

Don't worry, no one will ask you to prove it :mrgreen:

Pelecaras
Lifer

Post by Pelecaras »

ICN wrote:Hmmm.. Bragger or liar?

Don't worry, no one will ask you to prove it :mrgreen:
I was lying, it's not even big enough to fill a 3.5 mm stereo jack hole :lol: :lol: :lol:
FUCK-WIT

ross-alexander
endless

Post by ross-alexander »

My mates selling one (if it's nit already gone) 400 sheets. I've had a play it's OK great for all your slightly tweakable fm basses and stuff. Not majorly deep without some kind of editor though...