Yamaha DX200

General Chat // Music Discussion
Pelecaras
Lifer
Re: Yamaha DX200

Post by Pelecaras »

ross-alexander wrote:My mates selling one (if it's nit already gone) 400 sheets. I've had a play it's OK great for all your slightly tweakable fm basses and stuff. Not majorly deep without some kind of editor though...

Cheers mate...I bought one yesterday from a guy in Somerset. I know they're not that deep but neither am I :D
FUCK-WIT

winston
unsure

Post by winston »

is there an accepted list of which DXs are the best and which aren't worth the trouble?

i've read most of the vintage synth pages on them, but the comments seem to be people approving the ones they own (as would be expected), so it isn't really unbiased recommendations.

between these, which would be your top choices?
DX 27S
DX 21
DX 7
DX 9
SDX 27S (this one i can't find any info about it on Google or youtube, but the sellers pictures show it has 4 Op, 8 algorithm and a built in speaker)

these are pretty much the same price (£160 to £190)

Críoch
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Críoch »

I'd a dx21, lovely sound. Strings etc.. I thought they sounded class. Any of the piano., basses., played down low, were deadly. Very textural.

However, you can just load all the patches into FM8. So I got them & sold it.

They're built like tanks.
KennethExack wrote:My kids and I are completely shocked by the specialized secrets that everyone has on this forum
>> Click here for NEW POSTS on subsekt <<

Dialog I The Hole I subsekt Blog I The Bench I IG I SC I Mixes I FB

winston
unsure

Post by winston »

they are all pretty huge for a tiny apartment. i think fm8 seems more suitable.

WOLF!
Grand

Post by WOLF! »

I was told that the DX21 sounds good and that because of his limitations to only 4 operators, it's a easier synth to learn and master FM synthesis.
So to make the story short, when I come across a DX21, I will buy and try it.

Críoch
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Críoch »

Dx21 does indeed sound great., but in terms of programming, you have one data slider to adjust whatever setting you are on. I made some OK sounding drones with it., but compare it to FM8, or even Live's Operator & you see what would be nice to have in the DX21 also. Different waves - other than sine, LFO's, ease of editing & no button clicking.. Man, there is so much button pushing :)

Didn't bother the Detroit guys.. Of course.

All of this comparison between old FM & modern plugins is a bit silly,sure.. but as you know yourself, after you get an old FM synth, the lack of immediacy can be a challenge. 'I'm gonna do this.. Oh, I can't.. I'll do this instead.. Erm..' - Bloody frustrating.

I loved the DX21 strings in particular, but I couldn't justify keeping it for that alone. It took up a lot of room & as I said, you can get the patches for the FM8.

They've soared in price recently IMO. Not sure if they're good value really?
KennethExack wrote:My kids and I are completely shocked by the specialized secrets that everyone has on this forum

Wiu
Slowy J

Post by Wiu »

I have a DX100 (the one with mini keys) and all the standard FM sounds are there. I've never really had a crack at programming it from scratch though. I've not really used it at all in all honesty. It's on my 'To Do' list, but I never seem to get round to it. I will get round to it eventually though as I can't really afford to buy anything new currently.

When I first started buying hardware, I just went crazy and bought up a load of equipment as I knew I was being made redundant so figured it was best to buy up what I could and put the time into it at a later date. Was a good time to do it too, as it was a few years back before hardware came back into vogue and second hand prices increased (massively in some cases). The DX100 is one of the last things I have to learn really. Spent a bunch of time with my Akai S1000 sampler recently and I love the thing now. Being used to sampling with software, it took me a while to understand, but now I'm there, I'd like another.
Thank you for the laughs, debate, new music found, production tips etc etc over the years. I wish Subsekt and everyone all the best for the future. Wiu.

WOLF!
Grand

Post by WOLF! »

ICN wrote:They've soared in price recently IMO. Not sure if they're good value really?
The prices of old hardware keep going up but yamaha sold lots of DX synths so they will never be rare (except the DX1).
If I see an add of someone selling a synth and there's the word vintage in the add I most of the time skip it.
Most of the time people think that everything that's old is vintage gear; so they think it's worth a fortune.
Definitely on evilbay :D !
I guess when you want vintage gear you are to late or you have to spend a lot of money or just be lucky.
But to find a DX it's still a great time because of the mass production; just be patient if you want one for a great price.

ross-alexander
endless

Post by ross-alexander »

What I mean is you can't really access all of it without an editor and not.sure how many are about given its age. It's a neat bit of kit but I'd struggle with that myself as I'd feel a bit robbed of functionality!

Pelecaras
Lifer

Post by Pelecaras »

ross-alexander wrote:What I mean is you can't really access all of it without an editor and not.sure how many are about given its age. It's a neat bit of kit but I'd struggle with that myself as I'd feel a bit robbed of functionality!
You're right about the access to parameters dude, it is a bit of a joke that only the software can access all operators. I mainly bought it as a bit of a toy to have a jam with when bored, maybe sample any decent results and warp with effects.

I think there is an editor for it that runs on windows 7, which I run on an old laptop. I've joined the yamaha DX group on Yahoo to try to find out about editors ect.
FUCK-WIT

WOLF!
Grand

Post by WOLF! »

The original Yamaha DX200 editor runs on Windows7 so maybe also on higher versions.

Alume
Confetti

Post by Alume »

Found a guy willing to sell me his for 375 including box and manual.

They sure sound good, what do you guys think?

WOLF!
Grand

Post by WOLF! »

Quite a high price. You're at SF???
Had one but sold it. I have a DX11 now and I like it.

Críoch
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Críoch »

Don't do it!!

Críoch
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Críoch »

Too expensive. Lots of hidden.. pc editor only functions. I wanted one until I got the an200. There's always something else that needs money.. so it had to go.

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Lost to the Void »

Reface DX is a nice modern take. Nifty editing on it.
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

g3_d9
Unfriended

Post by g3_d9 »

Reface DX is indeed rather nice, and yes, great interface..... Though two Volca DX's can be purchased for the price of a single Reface and are (in my opinion) superior in several ways. ie: sequencer, sync etc.
"The sad thing about artificial intelligence is that it lacks artifice and therefore intelligence" -
Jean Baudrillard.

Pelecaras
Lifer

Post by Pelecaras »

I sold my DX200 within a month of buying it, it's a cool bit of kit but I needed the cash to fund my travels over the winter. Thinking about investing in a volca FM though.
FUCK-WIT

g3_d9
Unfriended

Post by g3_d9 »

Pelecaras wrote:I sold my DX200 within a month of buying it, it's a cool bit of kit but I needed the cash to fund my travels over the winter. Thinking about investing in a volca FM though.
i highly recommend the Volca FM... (mislabelled it Volca DX above, as my broken brain always does) .
It's an awesome little machine.
Don't actually own it any more myself as i have other digital synths that i found myself using more often, though i will probably get another Volca FM in the near future.
"The sad thing about artificial intelligence is that it lacks artifice and therefore intelligence" -
Jean Baudrillard.

Alume
Confetti

Post by Alume »

Críoch wrote:Don't do it!!
I wont:) i just wanted to test the water and it seems its freezing.

Need to master the machines i got at the moment. And im looking forward to that.

Though the research For new sounds in always present haha
WOLF! wrote:Quite a high price. You're at SF???
Had one but sold it. I have a DX11 now and I like it.
Yeah, somehow thought the rareness made it 500+

You dutch too? Or frol Belgium?