Vintage gearz

General Chat // Music Discussion
Alume
Confetti
Vintage gearz

Post by Alume »

Lately, I've been more and more interested in the older classic synths(due to junkiexl's vlog). Almost all the kit I've owned is new or at least from after 2005. I used an Alpha Juno 2 for a while but it made a pretty bad high pitched humming sound so i ditched it.

Recently I purchased a four track and find myself loving this nostalgic vibe in the studio. It got me thinking about vintage synths as well.

Quite quickly I realized these vintage things are taking a crazy price turn, I bought my alpha juno for 375 a year ago, which was quite overpriced(turnlab), it seems they go for 400 now? these days you pay 1200 for a 101 which was 600 2 years ago.

So what I'm getting at is, are there synths out there that have been quite under the radar so far but will deff catch on later? Since, I started making music I always wanted a 202, because Paul Birken said something about those in an interview. Even the mc202 with its crappy build quality and hard sequencer is 850 now.

Atm, I'm not in the market for anything, Im just browsing, exploring the market. I have have gear to figure out for my own first anywayz. In a few months however, I might be interested to get something. Something that has character and that wont lose its value.

So what do you guys think, do you own any old pieces of gear and how do they affect your music, not only sound wise but also the memories it carries with it. I think for some genre's and sounds there is something to say for using older equipment.

Discussss

rktic
Utter Cunt
Re: Vintage gearz

Post by rktic »

I think that many vintage synths have a specific take on sound vs interface. The 101, 202 and 303 are maybe the best examples of that. And if you've been growing up using certain synths and their interfaces, knowing them inside out it's likely to end up sticking to that.

But what if you're not pre-occupied in this way? What are your reasons to want a specific old piece of hardware? Is it because you think only that one synth sounds the way it does? Some kind of romantic bias?

If you're not biased by anything and look for something that serves your needs you can buy any piece of gear, old or new. And by sticking to it long enough, knowing it inside out and a decade passes you might end up with a new vintage classic in your hands. Could be any synth.

Know your why, open your eyes - choose wisely.

Alume
Confetti

Post by Alume »

I was expecting a reaction of the sort. Ive got some pieces like the machinedrum that will become a classic as time passes, as for probably the nord drum.

So my why, I feel like the instruments I havr are awesome, when i got into hardware i bought and sold a lot as i didnt really know what i wanted, what i needed, or even why i wanted or needed something. Now after a few years i can identify GAS vs something that might actually be usefull in my setup. Sure they go hand in hand but is (reasonably haha) under control.

So my why, well i'd like an instrument wich is beaten and gigged with, which is broken and repared. Not because its worth 1k, but because it might have gained some characters over the years. I also feel you cant always capture this nostalgia in samples if you dled them from some random dude.

Im looking for meaning and history in sounds, a story. I am growing towards my gear, just think some vintage would be fun. Even if its weird yamaha whatever.

My studio is cosy, with candles, carpets and woodwork. Its not based clean ikea style. I like my sounds dusty, like i have my stu.

Its an endless search you know that, hence my research.

rktic
Utter Cunt

Post by rktic »

Then fucking go for it! :)

dubdub
Asphyxiwank

Post by dubdub »

I think at this point almost anything that is vintage and analogue is getting ridiculously overpriced. But then again, even stuff like vintage samplers and certain digital synths are getting expensive now. There's still a lot of 90s digital synths that are decently priced though, even if many are a pain to program.

xonetacular
Gnasher

Post by xonetacular »

I recently picked up a 101. Overpriced, yeah, but it's worth it if you want that sound/UI. If there was a suitable modern clone I would have bought it but there's just not. It's a simple architecture bit it's the whole package that makes it special and it is one giant sweetspot.

Here's an interesting article form henning baer on the 101 (use google translate): http://groove.de/2017/03/15/off-the-tra ... nd-sh-101/

I have to agree.

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Lost to the Void »

Getting a dusty old sound is not what you use but how you use it. Burial would be a shining example of this.

I`ve always wanted a Korg Monopoly, because there was one in the studio I used to work at in my industrial days, and it has a rich round sound, combined with the noise osc, that just gives the loveliest chords for dub type stuff, the filter is squishy.
But Monopoly`s are stupid expensive, and come with issues (midi). Once I found out the Minilogue has similar architecture, and I saw a video of a guy who basically copied patches from a Monopoly to the Minilogue, my dreams came true and I bought one.

I still have my original Juno 106 from the 80`s, bought brand new. Kept for nostalgia, and in utter mint condition. Once the value gets utterly stupid, I will sell it, as moving to our new home and decluttering allowed me to realise the pointlessness of nostalgia. Even so, that machine has been with me since my teens, and was on releases in various bands I was in, early techno vinyls, well, I`ve used it a lot. There are good memories attached to it, but yeah, fuck all that nostalgia shit.

I don`t hanker for vintage gear out of any illusion of the "vintage" sound it will give me (which I think you probably do seem to be having perhaps a false perception of), there are specific bits of gear that have a sound that I can`t get anywhere else that I desire. But if I want my mixes to sound vintage, I process them in a way that leads to a vintage sound.
I would like an old Polyvox, but it is really hard to find ones with midi, or midi conversion, as they have a rather unique, aggressive sound.

I`ve owned many reel to reel machines, from the 60`s, 70`s and 80`s, which I used for certain sounds (I posted a link to my new bandcamp which contains an Acid EP I made when I first got my Studer G36, and before I refurbished it, which can give you an idea of what genuine vintage tape sounds like...... I also painstakingly recreated the sound of it with Satin, the settings of which a may or may not put up for public download).
Tape really will give you a vintage sound, especially if you source old tape a record over it, and don`t degauss your tape heads for a good while.

All gear, new or old, effects your music.
I can`t play metal riffs on my strat, doesn`t work for me, I have to use my BC Rich Warlock, it just looks so..... heavy metal.. (The pickups are also more aggressive sounding, but that`s not really why I use it).
Real instruments you play, where there is physical feedback, I think have more of a visceral effect.
Synths, soft or hard, for me, is just pushing buttons, moving sliders and turning nobs, it`s very hard to connect with on the same level as a guitar, or drum kit.

Not all old gear sounds "old". It`s how it is recorded that does that.

As for secret squirrel bargains.....Nope. The internet has seen an end to that. People can easily find the value of their shit these days so everything finds it`s mean market price quickly.

Gone are the days of wondering in to brick a brack music shops and finding old vintage bargain synths for 50 quid unfortunately... I found some amazing gear in the 90`s just sifting through second hand music shops.
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

td3l
reverse genius

Post by td3l »

I've owned some vintage stuff throughout the years... SH-101 (twice), TB-303, Monopoly, Oberheim SEM (the reissue, but it's essentially the same), in addition to some other more modern things. All of those pieces were cool, but ultimately I sold them because they were just not worth the amount of money tied up in them. They have mojo, but none of them are the killer secret weapons that everybody makes them out to be.

There are much more useful tools you could be purchasing for the same amount of money. If you really want that vintage/dusty sound (which you can 100% accomplish with modern tools, don't get me wrong) consider purchasing old effects units instead of synthesizers. Roland tape echoes, old Eventide multi-effect boxes, Alesis and Lexicon, Ensoniq, etc. One thing I've learned over the years is that effects chains are way, way more important in techno then the source synthesizers.

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

td3l wrote: One thing I've learned over the years is that effects chains are way, way more important in techno then the source synthesizers.

This, so much, and I think loads of people get caught up in synths instead, so you get all this bleepy bloop that sounds the same because the processing is minimal.
New Shit

g3_d9
Unfriended

Post by g3_d9 »

Lost to the Void wrote:Getting a dusty old sound is not what you use but how you use it. Burial would be a shining example of this..... Not all old gear sounds "old". It`s how it is recorded that does that....
i call *bullshit* on that.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/12-bit

a modern recording/playback of a 12bit source does not equal an original 12 bit D/A chip raw output..

they are two different things.

BTW Burial is absolute shit.
"The sad thing about artificial intelligence is that it lacks artifice and therefore intelligence" -
Jean Baudrillard.

g3_d9
Unfriended

Post by g3_d9 »

Though i certainly agree that processing is the key.

Synths, like all sound sources do what they do..... it's what comes after that is most worthwhile.
"The sad thing about artificial intelligence is that it lacks artifice and therefore intelligence" -
Jean Baudrillard.

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

g3_d9 wrote:
Lost to the Void wrote:Getting a dusty old sound is not what you use but how you use it. Burial would be a shining example of this..... Not all old gear sounds "old". It`s how it is recorded that does that....
i call *bullshit* on that.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/12-bit

a modern recording/playback of a 12bit source does not equal an original 12 bit D/A chip raw output..

they are two different things.

BTW Burial is absolute shit.
Calling bullshit on yourself there me old china, did I mentioned 12bit DA at any point? Not what I am talking about at all, but you know, also Mangoes are out of season right now....

Yes I agree, Burial is so shit he pretty much single handedly influence a new movement within post dubstep that many many have jumped on (and imitated). Only shit does that.
New Shit

winston
unsure

Post by winston »

there are no synths i'd go for but i am more interested in old samplers. having to use discs is the downfall of it though, or fuffing around and fitting an sd card reader. i have an old akai sampler with a busted disk drive which is still useable to process things through in one session, but not really ideal in any sense.

i'd go for a SP1200 if they weren't $4k, or the roland s770 if it didn't need the mouse and screen. maybe one day when i have the space and patience.

innovine
hmmmmmm...

Post by innovine »

Alume wrote:My studio is cosy, with candles, carpets and woodwork.
Sounds nice. I have red velvet curtains and stuffed animal heads. I'd love a red leather chair like morpheus had in the matrix. Or a big fuckoff church pipe organ

Alume
Confetti

Post by Alume »

Oke, come to think of it I agree regarding fx. They seems to have a big impact on the sounds(obviously). I recently got te boost pedal Steve recommended me and im loving it.

I also believe all your arguments, they are all valid. Though i domt think im looking for a vintage sound. Obviously i dont know what I want which makes everything fun and exciting. I like to keep an open mind, not looking for emulations or imitations of sounds you guys should know me by now. I stay true to the arts, at least i think i am.

Alume
Confetti

Post by Alume »

td3l wrote:I've owned some vintage stuff throughout the years... SH-101 (twice), TB-303, Monopoly, Oberheim SEM (the reissue, but it's essentially the same), in addition to some other more modern things. All of those pieces were cool, but ultimately I sold them because they were just not worth the amount of money tied up in them. They have mojo, but none of them are the killer secret weapons that everybody makes them out to be.

There are much more useful tools you could be purchasing for the same amount of money. If you really want that vintage/dusty sound (which you can 100% accomplish with modern tools, don't get me wrong) consider purchasing old effects units instead of synthesizers. Roland tape echoes, old Eventide multi-effect boxes, Alesis and Lexicon, Ensoniq, etc. One thing I've learned over the years is that effects chains are way, way more important in techno then the source synthesizers.

Nice piece of advice, thanks. The 4track im using isnalso a welcome addition.

terly
arsehole

Post by terly »

My two main hardware synths are from the 80s. Doesn't lend a vintage sound at all really and that's not what I am going for.

collide
Smore

Post by collide »

dubdub wrote:But then again, even stuff like vintage samplers and certain digital synths are getting expensive now.
Really?
I would be more than happy to sell my barely used E-MU e6400 Ultra for a decent price.
They sell for about €300 maybe. Price tag back than was 4000 DM = € 2000.

The_G
Artificial Hazard

Post by The_G »

I don't presently. I had a D-50, which I got at age 13, but I (stupidly) sold it in 2006. I've always wanted a Juno 106, so I'll probably buy one eventually, even though I have a Ju-06, just because I love the damn thing.

Aside from that, though, I'm more interested in the new analog stuff. I have a Minilogue and will probably get an OB-6 or Rev-2 eventually.

ozias_leduc
ANAL

Post by ozias_leduc »

i used to have an alpha juno. i sold it:( i pine for another one

BUT yesterday i got a DX7 !!! it's in pretty much mint condition. it's sooooooooooooooo cool

also wanna get the deepmind desktop model when that comes out. i think, anyway. i like to dream about synths. but now i have a eurorack setup and the dx7. i think that's enough hardware for now