"Detroit" as the new Berlin?

General Chat // Music Discussion
Senko
decent
"Detroit" as the new Berlin?

Post by Senko »

Thoughts?

http://www.freep.com/story/money/busine ... /17278385/

I had a close friend play Tresor last night and he had dinner with Hegemann and it seems to be that this might become a reality in the near future. My only gripe, and as Hegemann states, there really isn't a jet-set crowd for this niche culture in modern America today. I mean there is, and it's spread from Connecticut to NY, but will it be enough to jumpstart something true to the core? Or will it be another mediocre bandwagon crowd jumping on the wave of "Techno".

AxeD
durchfall
Re: "Detroit" as the new Berlin?

Post by AxeD »

Amsterdam is happening. All facets of techno are covered week in week out.
We might even have a similar hipster ratio compared to Berlin and we are also whining
about tourists all day.

Figured I should actually read the article as well :oops:
It's not a bad idea really. Would be great to see it come full circle amidst the
remains of what provided the inspiration in the first place. A certain metaphor about
ashes and a bird comes to mind :)

Senko
decent

Post by Senko »

I think it'll come up very short of Tresor. The anti-rave laws will destroy any hope for it being anything more than a bar like atmosphere with a good system. Unless they pull some strings here or there? Who knows. I'm hopeful though. Gets tiring sitting in the states with nothing to look forward to :D

Alume
Confetti

Post by Alume »

Nice article. I wonder how this wil work out.

Críoch
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Críoch »

Cool idea. They've had crack house there for a lonnng time now.. why not Crack Techno?
KennethExack wrote:My kids and I are completely shocked by the specialized secrets that everyone has on this forum
>> Click here for NEW POSTS on subsekt <<

Dialog I The Hole I subsekt Blog I The Bench I IG I SC I Mixes I FB

oddmyth
Anba

Post by oddmyth »

The best things that happen in Detroit have never been club events. I'd love to see Tresor in Detroit, but I just think the owner would lose his shirt trying to do something in a gigantic old warehouse like that.
Cue 3 2013 - Devil's Advocate.

See what this is all about at oddmyth.ca

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Lost to the Void »

It`s a nice idea, I was thinking myself when reading up about the current state of detroit.
Neighbourhoods without electricity, empty properties, empty warehouses, thinned out police force.....

Why aren`t all the artists moving over there, that`s essentially why Berlin blew up, it was cheap, and artists are cheap.

I dont think it would work currently, I don`t think enough people would ship in to provide a regular audience, and I definitely don`t think they could rely on the native population to fill the numbers. But if the artists and bohemians start filling up detroit, then maybe..

I love the concept of a dying city, I`d go live there if I could.
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

Senko
decent

Post by Senko »

I plan to "possibly" move out there after my schooling is done (If all this becomes real shit and isn't just a gimmick). Then again, the fuck is a 20 year old with a Finance BA going to do out there? The constant struggle of pursuing music or being a cunt.

But really people don't move out there because of the stigma Detroit has as being the "murder capital". White America is scared of a bit of color too. Whole bunch of reasons.

oddmyth
Anba

Post by oddmyth »

People follow money, Detroit is on the brink of bankruptcy and has the highest rate of unemployment in the US. Ergo people don't move into Detroit.

Being white has nothing to do with it.

Senko
decent

Post by Senko »

oddmyth wrote:People follow money, Detroit is on the brink of bankruptcy and has the highest rate of unemployment in the US. Ergo people don't move into Detroit.

Being white has nothing to do with it.
Oh it really does, beyond belief. Racism is well and alive in Detroit.

oddmyth
Anba

Post by oddmyth »

I've spent a lot of time in Detroit, it's just an hour down the road, I've been going there for about 20 years now. Perhaps it's just the scene and my own personal relationships, but I can't recall even a single racist comment in my time there.

AxeD
durchfall

Post by AxeD »

oddmyth wrote:I've spent a lot of time in Detroit, it's just an hour down the road, I've been going there for about 20 years now. Perhaps it's just the scene and my own personal relationships, but I can't recall even a single racist comment in my time there.
20 years and we've never been in Detroit at the same time :shock:

Ttinga
Normality Restored

Post by Ttinga »

Senko wrote:I plan to "possibly" move out there after my schooling is done (If all this becomes real shit and isn't just a gimmick). Then again, the fuck is a 20 year old with a Finance BA going to do out there? The constant struggle of pursuing music or being a cunt.

But really people don't move out there because of the stigma Detroit has as being the "murder capital". White America is scared of a bit of color too. Whole bunch of reasons.
Work for Quicken Loans.

I don't see little Berghain doing that well in Detroit. Sure there's a good techno scene but it doesn't seem big enough to support this kind of club.

mainst09
Traits

Post by mainst09 »

Ttinga wrote:little Berghain
Voices From Cindy's Cunt

Senko
decent

Post by Senko »

A part of me wants to believe that this is being done for the sheer passion and future of Techno, and another part of me says... $$$, they want the paper that comes from it. Possibly it's not even about techno. Takes a lot for someone to really go out of their way, invest their time and money, all for potential failure. Who knows though.

mint clad
quasi-public

Post by mint clad »

I don't see it doing well enough to survive either but I've gotta say it would be cool to have a little piece of techno history in Detroit. I may never make it to Berlin in my lifetime but Detroit is only two hours away from me... Close enough that I could go party there on a weeknight and still make it to work on time in the morning lol.

surface
Balance

Post by surface »

I think if it does happen, it needs to be run by locals for locals primarily so that it grows organically.
It would be great to see Detroit topping the modern techno map (only right, based on it's heritage), but it's not something that can be forced imo.

My interest in finding new upcoming artists kinda faded a while ago and the only head I know from those parts in recent years is Kyle Hall.
I'm sure there's plenty more though. Anyone know some others worth checking out from the last couple of years?

Senko
decent

Post by Senko »

The states don't really have any primary exports per se. Not that I know of. Parasole I guess? Detroit wise, I have no clue. I don't believe in proper Techno in the states. It's such an ungodly shit festival here. Don't even want to get into it. Nicole Moudaber playing tonight. "Queen of Techno".

oddmyth
Anba

Post by oddmyth »

Senko wrote:The states don't really have any primary exports per se. Not that I know of.
Too funny.

Ttinga
Normality Restored

Post by Ttinga »

Senko wrote:The states don't really have any primary exports per se. Not that I know of. Parasole I guess? Detroit wise, I have no clue. I don't believe in proper Techno in the states. It's such an ungodly shit festival here. Don't even want to get into it. Nicole Moudaber playing tonight. "Queen of Techno".
There's a lot of great producers in the states, even if the fanbase is pretty small...