Vinyl creating a new elite?

General Chat // Music Discussion
Dirk L
Jan : )
Vinyl creating a new elite?

Post by Dirk L »

I was checking out some new releases the other day and they all rocked. Kept adding stuff to my cart.

I was half asleep to be fair and only realised after a bit that I was buying vinyl. I felt gutted that i couldnt get them. I have CDJ's and use Traktor, but no decks. Theres a whole wad of music now that I'm excluded from cos I dont have decks.

I always put the tracks i buy on my Ipod, so i listen to them individually too. I just feel cheated in a way that I'll never get to listen to the music I want to hear. I know its probably cos of piracy etc.. but I think its going to create a new divide in who can access the music. I cant afford to buy vinyl. Getting a few tracks that I am interested in is better value for me.

what does everyone else think? I think its a shame.

NomadSpectrum
subsekt
subsekt
Re: Vinyl creating a new elite?

Post by NomadSpectrum »

Oh no not the vinyl vs digital debate again :P

Actually I bought a 2nd hand Stanton for this exact reason :)

Mslwte
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Mslwte »

Dirk L wrote:I was checking out some new releases the other day and they all rocked. Kept adding stuff to my cart.

I was half asleep to be fair and only realised after a bit that I was buying vinyl. I felt gutted that i couldnt get them. I have CDJ's and use Traktor, but no decks. Theres a whole wad of music now that I'm excluded from cos I dont have decks.

I always put the tracks i buy on my Ipod, so i listen to them individually too. I just feel cheated in a way that I'll never get to listen to the music I want to hear. I know its probably cos of piracy etc.. but I think its going to create a new divide in who can access the music. I cant afford to buy vinyl. Getting a few tracks that I am interested in is better value for me.

what does everyone else think? I think its a shame.
i think your bang on mate. there is still stuff coming out and yeah its all quality music. labels wont gamble anymore, so its got to be good stuff. standard pricing seems to be everything at £8, so a month i can probably only buy 5 records lol. not much is it. but if i download i can buy a whole set for £50. 10 years ago i was spending that a week lol

its great though that vinyl is holding in there, if i could afford it id buy it.

still theres discogs... you can get older tracks quite cheap!
https://soundcloud.com/mslwte
https://noizefacilityrecords.bandcamp.com
https://www.instagram.com/subsekt909
https://www.facebook.com/subsekt909/
Lost to the Void wrote:Fuck off, get some tequila down ya neck and make some noise you cunt....

Dirk L

Post by Dirk L »

NomadSpectrum wrote:Oh no not the vinyl vs digital debate again :P

Actually I bought a 2nd hand Stanton for this exact reason :)
No mate. You are picking me up a little bit wrong. Its not which is better, its about how people are getting shoved out cos they aint got decks.

I think its unavoidable though. Going to have to buy a cheapo set of decks.

Mattias
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Mattias »

I known for sure it can be frustrating. But there is an option yo buy the 12", rip it and then hang it on a wall as decoration!
Music Page: http://www.facebook.com/Mattias.Fridell.Music
Soundcloud: http://soundcloud.com/fridell
Sample packs: http://mfsamples.bandcamp.com

Contention / 005

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Lost to the Void »

No, not really.
Most savvy labels release their stuff digitally, at a later date. Otherwise it gets ripped and shared anyway.

Vinyl is a collectors market mostly now.
Distributors and labels can't take risks, distrib especially, so only more commercial techno makes it to vinyl, or, the same old names, in most cases.

the underground and the fresh resides on digital now, where there are less limitations.
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

Mattias
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Mattias »

Lost to the Void wrote:No, not really.
Most savvy labels release their stuff digitally, at a later date. Otherwise it gets ripped and shared anyway.

Distributors and labels can't take risks, distrib especially, so only more commercial techno makes it to vinyl, or, the same old names, in most cases.

the underground and the fresh resides on digital now, where there are less limitations.
This.
Music Page: http://www.facebook.com/Mattias.Fridell.Music
Soundcloud: http://soundcloud.com/fridell
Sample packs: http://mfsamples.bandcamp.com

Contention / 005

ste

Post by ste »

But its funny especially in germany there starts to he a new market for unknown vinyl labels. There are a lot of new labels lately... Guys like thomas hessler with his graphene label shows how quick one label can get established if theres quality music on vinyl. Suckut goes the same way with his own sckt label and many others start limited vinyl too. German magazine de:bug started articles about "how to create your own vinyl label"... I guess the "elite" mentioned earlier is real... But enthusiastic djs and music lovers in general are willing to pay for art if they know that its something special... Something that not every 17yr old prick grabs from rapidshare too. Its not exactly an elitist thing... Its just a fact that artusts realize that artists need money to live. Its an inestement in the future of quality electronica... My 2cents

Jake
Onions

Post by Jake »

Vinyl has always been pretty expensive, I remember the stuff being £6-8 when I first started buying in around 2001. I could only buy two records a week with my paper round money.

In some ways it acts as a control filter, you only buy the stuff you really want.

Críoch
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Críoch »

Jake wrote:Vinyl has always been pretty expensive, I remember the stuff being £6-8 when I first started buying in around 2001. I could only buy two records a week with my paper round money.

In some ways it acts as a control filter, you only buy the stuff you really want.
Yeah - thats true man. It is a shit filter alright.
KennethExack wrote:My kids and I are completely shocked by the specialized secrets that everyone has on this forum
>> Click here for NEW POSTS on subsekt <<

Dialog I The Hole I subsekt Blog I The Bench I IG I SC I Mixes I FB

Críoch
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Críoch »

So has anything changed with vinyl then? Has the quality control gone up in the music?

Do you still get releases where theres only one good track and the rest are kinda fillers? Thats what used to piss me off when I was buying it regularly.
KennethExack wrote:My kids and I are completely shocked by the specialized secrets that everyone has on this forum

Dirk L

Post by Dirk L »

Mattias wrote:I known for sure it can be frustrating. But there is an option yo buy the 12", rip it and then hang it on a wall as decoration!
Clap Clap! Haha.. Very funny!! :lol:

I'm imagining the hassle I'd get if I had them on the walls. How would I hide the amount of money that I'm spending ;)

Dirk L

Post by Dirk L »

Lost to the Void wrote:No, not really.

Yes. Just a pity it takes a while for it to transfer to digital then. I'm frothing at some of the music I'm missing out on.

Saw a few where you could DL the digital files when you bought the physical vinyl. Good idea, but its like buying an Ilok for your music at that point. I appreciate its all down to economics at the end of the day. You aint going to be able to blame someone for wanting to earn a crust and have a certain value put on their work. Thats only fair.

Mslwte
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Mslwte »

vinyl has definately gone up in price guys, i used to pay £8 for imports and white labels and £5- £6 for a normal release. now on juno especially, its mostly between £8 and £10. its fkn stupid lol
https://soundcloud.com/mslwte
https://noizefacilityrecords.bandcamp.com
https://www.instagram.com/subsekt909
https://www.facebook.com/subsekt909/
Lost to the Void wrote:Fuck off, get some tequila down ya neck and make some noise you cunt....

Críoch
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Críoch »

I had a huge falling out with one of my best friends years ago.. and when I went to play one of my records months later, some cunt had put a lighter up to it & made a crater in it. Cant even remember what it was now.

Never spoke to him again.. but I know it was him - Bastard! -haha

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

ste wrote:. Its just a fact that artusts realize that artists need money to live. Its an inestement in the future of quality electronica... My 2cents
There is no money to be made from pressings of 300 vinyls.

And again, vinyl DJ`s are becoming the minority in techno, even people who run vinyl labels don`t play their own vinyl as they DJ with ableton, or traktor or CD`s etc.
And most of these labels release digitally as well, as it is the only way to recover the losses from vinyl pressing, and also, as digital is the predominant format, it is simply commmercial suicide.
To cut out a large sector of your market/fanbase is just crazy.

Vinyl makes no assurance of an "investment in the future of quality electronica" either. It simply requires a disposable income.
There is plenty of shit,cloned, berghein copycat tesco techno put out on vinyl all the time, so I see no higher quality bar, nor much risk taking or progress".

An investment in the future of quality electronica comes from the following.

Artists having patience and courage to develop their own sound, without following fashion or following commercial trends.

Artist retaining a realistic and positive level of self critique.

Labels of any output format developing their own sound, their own manifesto, with care and attention to the level of quality in musical and production terms. Also taking care of presentation, artwork, ethics, building a stable of artists that give the label identity, supporting said artists and encouraging development.

None of these things rely on a particular format for realisation, what they rely on is hard work, integrity and vision.

That is not to say I am anti vinyl, but I place no importance to the plastic, it is all about the people doing it, and what they do.

I am actually going back into pressing vinyl myself this year, albeit for collectors purposes, to make something physical, so this will not be a low effort, white label with cheap stamp affair, which is an insult to the potential of the format IMO as I think if you are going into the effort of physical product, then it should be something asthetically pleasing. However this will be a break-even, more than likely financially lossy thing to do, but hopefully we will recover that money with physical albums.
New Shit

P-_

Post by P-_ »

Lost to the Void wrote:However this will be a break-even, more than likely financially lossy thing to do, but hopefully we will recover that money with physical albums.
I will be buying these... What do you have in mind, new releases or some sort of "best of singularity"? Tree of Wyrd please!

Críoch
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Críoch »

+1 for a best of :)

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

P-_ wrote:
Lost to the Void wrote:However this will be a break-even, more than likely financially lossy thing to do, but hopefully we will recover that money with physical albums.
I will be buying these... What do you have in mind, new releases or some sort of "best of singularity"? Tree of Wyrd please!
Initially it will be a voidloss and villain release, as was the first singularity vinyl, if after a few releases we manage to retain stability then we will look at a double pack best of....
Do bare in mind these will be collectors releases, with covers made of sheet steel, wood, or with art gifts included, all handmade, so the price will reflect that, but we will always hold a certain amount of product back and sell via Bandcamp at a substantial discount compared to conventional vendors.
As poncey artists, Chris and I have very lofty ideals about what we want to do with the label.
New Shit

Críoch
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Críoch »

Poncey artists - lol