the film topic

General Chat // Music Discussion
Hades
Shit Eater
the film topic

Post by Hades »

ok, since we mentioned the recently deceased Philip Seymour Hoffman, and since I know some of us enjoy a good film from time to time, I thought this might be the perfect moment to start a film topic.

I hope this one can be one of those we can go back to from time to time to add new ones.

I'll try to come up with some sort of grid with basic questions that makes our inputs per film more structured.
That way when we mention a film the overview can be better, but when we all go massively overboard in our replies and derail the topic while discussing film A or B, or just blabber away, we can still easily get back on track when someone wants to mention a new film he/she thinks more people should see.

I've been on a strict film diet of approx. 20 films per month for at least 10 years now, from all ages : dating from 1914 to now, any genre except maybe stupid comedies or sci-fi or lame horror. Usually I tried to stay away from the big budget Hollywood stuff, but I really watch all kinds of genres.
However, let's not try to derail this one into one genre or sub-genre only topic.

Anything will do if you think most people should watch it.
But since there are so many films made, let's try to favour the ones not enough people know about.

Ok, now let's think about some sort of grid...
Sin cambios no hay mariposa

Twilitez
You only live once
Re: the film topic

Post by Twilitez »

I watched 'Moon' (2009) tonight, definitely worth a watch for several reasons including Sam Rockwell's performance of a lifetime and an excellent soundtrack by Clint Mansell.

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

grid version 1.0 :

What's it called ?

title.

Who was responsible for making this crap ? And should I know him/her ?

director, maybe some general info about him/her like why he/she's a great director or other films he/she has done.

It's not too old, is it (cause I really hate old shit) ?

year.

Anybody in it I know (or I should really get to know) ?

actors, maybe some general info on one or more actors.

What's it about really ?

What it is about, really.
Storyline / topic /...

Does it have any funny shit in it that I can imitate in the pub to impress my dumb friends with ?

Famous scenes.
Funny scenes.
Perhaps maybe even famous shots or camera angles (fuck the pub !).

Why should I waste my precious time watching this crap ?

Why you think more people should watch this film.

--------------------

As always, new questions to improve this grid are welcome.

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

Twilitez wrote:I watched 'Moon' (2009) tonight, definitely worth a watch for several reasons including Sam Rockwell's performance of a lifetime and an excellent soundtrack by Clint Mansell.
yeah saw it a few months ago.
Really nice alienating stuff. Very original story, one of a kind.
Nothing too sci-fi either even if it's in space.
Class performance from mr Rockwell, and I always like Mansells soundtracks.

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

I'll start off with an old favourite...

What's it called ?

Short Cuts

Robert Altman.
Any real film-fan knows Altman, but many others still don't know about this famous recently deceased director. He was an absolute favourite of many many actors, and hardly made a bad film even though he made a shitload of them.

Pedro probably wasn't born yet, but I was already in high school. ;)
To me that's still fairly new in film country. But then I like old 40's and 50's films a lot...

Altman almost always has a huge crowd of famous actors. This film is no exception :
Andie MacDowell, Jack Lemmon, Julianne Moore, Jennifer Jason Leigh, Robert Downey Jr., ...

What's it about really ?

To use IMDb : "It's about the day to day lives of a number of suburban LA residents".
It's full of short cuts, and you meet tons of different characters who sometimes meet, go to work, party, have their pool cleaned, lie, cheat, go to a concert,...
Short cuts is a long film, 3 hours long, but it never bores a single minute.
It's not one of those films that will touch your soul on a deeper level or something, yet you'll never forget the film once you saw it.
When I first saw it, I forced at least 3 friends to watch it with me in the course of the next week.

Does it have any funny shit in it that I can imitate in the pub to impress my dumb friends with ?

There are far too many to describe (and to remember) them all.
All the scenes Jennifer Jason Leigh is taking calls from a sex-line from her private home, making customers all horny while she's doing all kinds of house-wife jobs and taking care of her young kids.

Or the scene where Tim Robbins is shouting through a megaphone to his neighbourhood that everything will be ok while there's an earthquake going on.

Altman is always a big laugh.

Altman has a unique style to his films. Most of them are ultra-funny. Plus he has overlapping dialogue. This is like it is in real life, and not like in films where actors only talk when the others are not talking and vice versa.
People like to party in his films, they drink tons and do drugs, but yet it's not some superficial shit.
The flow in his films is always super-natural even though he's a master at doing difficult massively complex shots. Just the opening shot of "The Player" for example blew me away.

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

What's it called ?

Enter The Void.

Gaspar Noé.
Argentinian/French director who made the incredibly intense and also rather violent "Irréversible".

It's from 2009. I consider that very recent.

Nope, only unkown actors.

What's it about really ?

Young American small-time drug dealer who lives in Tokyo gets shot to death.
His restless soul observes his friends and loved ones while flying through nightlife Tokyo.

No funny scenes.
But fuck me what a MASSIVE trip to watch.
Basically his soul is flying through everything while he watches everyone in Tokyo.
The camera flying is just dead right spectacular. Unbelievable.
I have no idea how they did all that.
It's like you're completely high while you're dead sober.

see previous question.
Some day I want to re-watch this film while being high. Must be over the top.

sds
GET A FUCKING AVATAR!!

Post by sds »

re Enter the Void

I missed the initial cinema release and remember getting really hyped up for the dvd release. I don't think i've been more disappointed with a movie in my life. As described by Hades, it's visually stunning, but it's way too long (there are two versions iirc, the long and the painfully long) and the dialogue and characters are truly awful. Cringe worthy in fact.

I watch lot's movies.. i'll run through some of my recent one's later. I don't think i can use that whole template though Hades, i might have to quit my job to make the time ;-)

sds
GET A FUCKING AVATAR!!

Post by sds »

some oscar related stuff i watched recently

12 years a slave - a masterpiece imo. It's beautifully filmed but very harrowing throughout. i didn't feel like it was a movie, more like an important historical document. on several occasions i was a real mess and it will stay with me for a long time.

wolf of wall st - very long but it didn't feel like a chore.. lol'd several times but afterwards i felt dirty. it didn't do enough to highlight the negative implications of the wanker-banker behavior; it was 80% glorification. same old Scorsese techniques employed throughout, which makes it better than most crap and definitely watchable, but there's nothing ground breaking as it's all been done before. I hope it doesn't win any awards

captain phillips - ultimately forgettable, but it kept my attention. bit too long. performances good. kind of safe-movie i'd watch with my mom at xmas

gravity - turned it off after about 10mins. hammy dialogue between clooney and bullock made my blood boil. no amount of fancy special effects would have made a difference to me

Her - got interrupted 20 mins before the end so need to finish it off, but up until then found it really frustrating. j phoenix character is really interesting and there's some really enlightening/thought provoking statements lurking in the dialogue, but this is tipped over by an equal amount of meh inducing sentimental bollocks.

dallas buyers club - brilliant. characters and dialogue convincing. great story. check it

other stuff

dark days - 2000 doc about homeless people living in train tunnels under new york city. a bit depressing, but rather than completely focus on the hopelessness of the homeless situation, we get to see the spirit and intuition of people fighting back from rock bottom. it cheers up as it goes on. worth it

say anything - american disillusioned teen rom-com-drama with John cusack. On the surface looks like the kind of thing you should avoid, but it digs a little deeper and the very young cusack is v.good and has great chemistry with the love interest (forget her name). soundtrack is ace. watch it with your lady.

the story of anvil - metal band who had 15mins of fame in early 80's struggle to regain the limelight, even though they're skint, seriously getting on, and unable to remain calm for long. it kept my attention, as you sway between feeling a bit embarrassed for them, sorry for them, or really rooting for them. there's some lovely moments, but I couldn't help feeling a bit pissed of with them, given they felt some kind of entitlement to fame when they'd already achieved more (during their 15mins) than many of us could ever dream of..

i'll think of more later

sds
GET A FUCKING AVATAR!!

Post by sds »

Also, agree with Hades on Short Cuts - it's great and that's a fine description :-)

And yes, Altman's "The Player" is amazing imo. One of my fave movies ever and i think it's his best. if you haven't seen it you need to watch it now.

wouterdewitte

Post by wouterdewitte »

What's it called ?

Black Cat White Cat

Emir Kusturica.
Serbian film director.

It's from 1998

Probably not.

What's it about really ?

Grga Pitic and Zarije Destanov are two old friends - and rivals - who haven't seen each other in years. But a series of events beyond their wildest dreams leads to a raucously funny reunion filled with gypsy mobsters, dirty deals and shotgun weddings.

After Matko, Grga's low-life son, botches a train robbery and is double-crossed into debt, he is obliged to force his son into an arranged marriage to one of Zarije's kin. As the wedding day approaches - highlighted by the long anticipated reunion between Grga and Zarije - family and friends must cope with betrayals, lust, mishaps, death, farm animals and, ultimately, the pursuit of true love and enduring friendship.

YES!
I think it is a very funny movie, stupid funny but not in american style.

Depicts a different culture which is interesting and features refreshing humor.
"People who dance are considered insane by those who cannot hear the music"
Momentvm Records

wapwap!
unsure

Post by wapwap! »

What's it called ?

next door

Pal Sletaune, never heard about him before.

i think it's not a well known movie, no famous actors.

What's it about really ?

it's better to not tell so much, let say it's a kind of roman polanski movie but more recent, a bit of lynch too.

not funny unless you took specific drugs haha.

if you like dark and twisted movies it's definitly a very good one..

--------------------
Hades wrote:As always, new questions to improve this grid are welcome.
insert a link like imdb, for this movie :
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0453383/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

wouterdewitte

Post by wouterdewitte »

Another balkan movie, but more brutal then funny ;)

What's it called ?

Wounds

Srdjan Dragojevic
Serbian film director and writer. I never heard of him until i saw this movie.

It's from 1998

Nope

What's it about really ?

This is a very gritty depiction of the deprivations of war on a society - in particular it's youth...
This film follows two Belgrade youths on their rise to gangster legends in a decaying society. Starting with small criminal activity and working their way up. Lots of drug abuse, sex and killing. Depict very realistically.
The movie is told from the view of Pinki, who's cynical, nihilistically comments show that destruction is the only option. A quote by Pinki from the movie says a lot and is the "hidden message" of this film i think. Around that time, say 90'ties, a lot of Yugo directors put in hidden messages in their films. Very interesting concept.
The killing softens the pain

Yes when they fuck a whore and one can't get it up, they.. (go watch it ;) )

Reality is a bitch...
Like Seymour, the main character Pinki also died of a heroin overdose..
Momentvm Records

Wiu
Slowy J

Post by Wiu »

What's it called ?

Ink

Jamin Winans

Nobody in it that I'd ever heard of.

What's it about really ?

Dreams.

Quote:

I don't know any. I only saw it for the first time the other day. I guess I could of pasted something off imdb though huh??

Not really.

Why should I waste my precious time watching this crap?

I actually only added this to my Lovefilm watchlist because they used some of the soundtrack on the movie 'The Grey'. I wasn't expecting much but thought it was amazing. Best movie I've seen for a while. I do get the feeling it's a kind of love/hate movie though. Check it!!
Thank you for the laughs, debate, new music found, production tips etc etc over the years. I wish Subsekt and everyone all the best for the future. Wiu.

helloitsmeagain
athlete

Post by helloitsmeagain »

What's it called ?

Sympathy For Lady Vengeance

Park Chan-wook. You'll know him from Oldboy, another fucking awesome movie. Spike Lee just remade that. I heard it's shit...

It's korean. I don't know any of the people in it.

What's it about really ?

A woman is complicit in the murder of a 5 year old boy. It's the story of her redemption.

Quote:

It's in korean...

Um, depends how wicked you are.

It's dark, but it's comedic. But it's fucking dark. It's very touching and real. But it's a fantasy.
Because of ACiD, i now know that butter is way better than margarine. I saw through the bullshit. - Mitch Hedberg

wouterdewitte

Post by wouterdewitte »

helloitsmeagain wrote:What's it called ?

Sympathy For Lady Vengeance
Yes good movie!
Momentvm Records

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

sds wrote:re Enter the Void

I missed the initial cinema release and remember getting really hyped up for the dvd release. I don't think i've been more disappointed with a movie in my life. As described by Hades, it's visually stunning, but it's way too long (there are two versions iirc, the long and the painfully long) and the dialogue and characters are truly awful. Cringe worthy in fact.

I watch lot's movies.. i'll run through some of my recent one's later. I don't think i can use that whole template though Hades, i might have to quit my job to make the time ;-)
I'll have to disagree with you on that one.
you don't watch it for dialogue or characters, you watch it for the visual effect.
The whole film is like one big trip, and it's not like you have the fastest witty dialogues when you're on some dream-like trip.
I LOVE good witty dialogues, it's one of the main reasons why I love old 30's, 40's or 50's films, because those usually have dialogues that are miles above the ones we're used to from recent films.
But you don't watch Enter The Void for its dialogues, that much is cristal clear... ;)

Also, what's long ?
Of course this is very subjective, but I find it another thing that's a "modern day" disease : people can't stand "longer" films, and definitely not if they're the slower kind. It's all gotta go fast fast fast...
Personally, I usually don't like films that are +2 hours long. Just like I don't like books that are +500 pages long.
This is because I strongly believe that very few stories and even fewer directors can stay interesting for that long. 80% of the +2 hour films could have done with more cuts.
BUT : if a story or film is fantastically done (and sometimes you can know this when you're only 10 minutes into the film), I am absolutely trilled if I know it's another 2,5 hours or 600 pages to read. :)

Ever watched "Goodbye Dragon Inn" ?
There's a film that has little to nothing happening.
Very long static shots, and yet it's absolutely beautiful.
I have no doubt 95% of the modern day people would never watch that film all the way though. :D

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

sds wrote:some oscar related stuff i watched recently

12 years a slave - a masterpiece imo. It's beautifully filmed but very harrowing throughout. i didn't feel like it was a movie, more like an important historical document. on several occasions i was a real mess and it will stay with me for a long time.

dallas buyers club - brilliant. characters and dialogue convincing. great story. check it

"12 years a slave" : Steve McQueen only makes excellent films ! One of the best modern day directors we have.

Dallas buyers club sounds exactly my type of thing, and Matthew Mcconaughey is one very talented actor and not just a stupid poster boy. You should watch "Mud", though it might perhaps be too long for you. ;)

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

wouterdewitte wrote:What's it called ?

Black Cat White Cat

Emir Kusturica.
Serbian film director.

When I saw "Black Cat White Cat" I really loved it.
It's been years since I saw it, but I watched all Kusturica's films after that (& the ones before BC/WC)untill I was in the cinema watching "life's a miracle". Even though I was there with one of my best friends and we had just drank a great bottle of champagne (so we were in a superb mood), we were bored senseless by that film.

I don't know, I think I could still mildly enjoy BC/WC nowadays, but once you see Kusturica's box of tricks that he uses all the time, you kind of zoom out.
You know, it's this image of Balkan people that he always portrays : always semi-partying or otherwise fighting, long generational disputes between families, corrupt police or customs officers, rural settings. There will be chickens or pigs or doves that will get killed in some funny way.
I even heard people from over there once complaining about his archetype cliché's.

Don't get me wrong : a Kusturica film can be great, but in small doses, since he's a bit of a one-trick pony.

wapwap!
unsure

Post by wapwap! »

enter the void is one of my favourites movies, a true masterpiece on every angle for me.

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

wapwap! wrote:What's it called ?

next door

Pal Sletaune, never heard about him before.
this got me fascinated.
I've seen almost all of Polanski's films, especially the older more disturbing ones like "Repulsion".
And I always loved Lynch's films though the Jimmy Stewart from Mars can get on my nerves in recent years. :lol:

nevertheless, sounds promising, will watch for sure.