in the old days

General Chat // Music Discussion
Hades
Shit Eater
in the old days

Post by Hades »

ok, Voids topic about who's DJ'ing and/or producing got me thinking about how people used to look at electronical music back when I used to buy my first synths. This was 20 years ago, and as I mentioned there : over here in Belgium there was less of a distinction between genres. Or as Thumper put it so nicely : less apartheid.
We actually just called most of it "dance"... What a vague name indeed ! :D
In Belgium, trance used to be pretty big back then. I have no idea if it still is now, but the trance back then had a far more darker, harder, hypnotic, less polished tone to it than all that crap that started emerging after say '99 or something.

So yeah, you can all shoot me if I go back in time and actually have the cojones to talk about trance tunes on Subsekt, but think about a few techno producers who make trancy flavoured tracks like Mathew Jonson or Petar Dundov.
Plus, you gotta remember : we really didn't even make the distinction, to us all of that was just called "dance" (I guess what you'd know call "eletronical music"), whether or not it was house, techno or trance, we didn't care, we just loved it.
Some of these tunes are more than 20 years old today. So I felt like I could be forgiven for bringing this up.
After all, If I was out partying during those day I must be an old senile sentimental fuck by now ! :lol:

Most of these tracks are Belgian btw, but not all. And yeah, some of them definitely have a few of the irritating trance cliché's in them once in a while, but I feel they are a world apart from what we cringe about when we hear trance now.

Plus, a lot of the discotheques (clubs) that played this music were also booking people like Carl Craig, Derrick May,...

And I truely believe this : a good tune is a good tune, no matter where it comes from.

So... let's start :
This one once got used in Agoria's fantastic "Cute 'n Cult" album where I rediscovered it from back in my teenage years, it's a true classic.
I had a massive smile on my face the day I found that tune in excellent condition on vinyl for a very reasonable price...
It's 22 years old for fuck's sake and it still works in my opinion...

youtu.be/LzT7k6eunYM
Last edited by Hades on Thu Jan 09, 2014 3:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sin cambios no hay mariposa

Hades
Shit Eater
Re: in the old days

Post by Hades »

more darker and harder :

youtu.be/3yH4vQv37Js

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

this one always worked wherever I had to DJ.
Even if the crowd hated any other electronical music track I dared to put on.

youtu.be/ZnBeTPpr98g

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

another one I still like very much today.
I never quite liked the first 1,5 minutes of this track (in some remixes this goes on for twice as long), but that break, almost 2 minutes long... I love it !!!
And somehow it all comes together after that break.

youtu.be/Rri-eFSvkE8

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

most people of course know this one.

youtu.be/ukbRAgXZYtU

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

and just 2 examples of Emmanuel Top from those days.
Not my personal favourite of him, that's "Generation", but these 2 were a bit more into the trancy flavoured style...

youtu.be/IceK8DrbBLU

youtu.be/nbBgPceAcKA

ashley BORG
Small Penis

Post by ashley BORG »

In the old days, in the early days of Sky TV. We had MTV Dance which was a weekend night show on MTV. It used to run through the night.
I used to stay up and watch, nothing really had genre names on there, but as you can hear with stuff like this it was just mish-mash genre stuff.

For some reason this was the first thing which popped in to my head, these used to get rinsed out proper in there. Especially the remix.

youtu.be/Ju2L6NhSebQ

youtu.be/7btMsb5d-vA

SigEnt
will fuck for food

Post by SigEnt »

I'll let the music do the talking :) Hades is right, good music is good music. All in the ear of the beholder. I can fill this forum up with music I bought and loved from 89- onwards but I'll just post a few really special tracks.

This is really special.

youtu.be/4oLqZ4P1qB8

youtu.be/fpMwgUOTg24

youtu.be/m7zl3eUZ6No

wapwap!
unsure

Post by wapwap! »

more than 20 years and still in the game :

youtu.be/KYZbhD1duwk

Planar
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Planar »

It says a lot about me that I went straight for the 2 Unlimited video. The lyrics sum up this thread nicely:-

"The bass was fast, but then again it was slow
Soul, house, hip-hop and blues
It doesn't really matter which music you choose
Start up a dance this is your chance
To come with me and do the tribal dance!"

True visionaries. May they both rest in peace (if they're dead).

helloitsmeagain
athlete

Post by helloitsmeagain »

Planar wrote:True visionaries. May they both rest in peace (if they're dead).

:lol:
Because of ACiD, i now know that butter is way better than margarine. I saw through the bullshit. - Mitch Hedberg

ashley BORG
Small Penis

Post by ashley BORG »

Planar wrote:It says a lot about me that I went straight for the 2 Unlimited video. The lyrics sum up this thread nicely:-

"The bass was fast, but then again it was slow
Soul, house, hip-hop and blues
It doesn't really matter which music you choose
Start up a dance this is your chance
To come with me and do the tribal dance!"

True visionaries. May they both rest in peace (if they're dead).
I'm not gonna pretend my tastes from 92-94 were credible, by todays standards :lol:

We'll these are the tracks that I knew he names of. All the rest were in the mix on pirate radio.

disparate
I forgot.... So baked.

Post by disparate »

I first heard this when I was like 11 or 12 (it came out in 1998 I think?). Got it on vinyl and still play it in my sets:

youtu.be/als2LeCe3Ss

I could go on a lot more but let's just say I got into dance music through trance so it's probably best that I don't ;)

simon_marklar
Pig

Post by simon_marklar »

used to love this track

youtu.be/1Pv_CS_rZO0

and this one

youtu.be/PTI-7kgvi1Y

and this

youtu.be/0f7cylz6tl4

and you have to remember this, every time it was played the floor went mental

youtu.be/b7xLMRbfxkk
ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ♪ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ♪ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ♪ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ♪ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ♪ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ♪ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ♪ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ♪ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ♪ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ♪ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ♪

Thumper
decent

Post by Thumper »

Like I said in the other thread, and like Hades mentioned also, the term Trance was interchangeable with House and Techno. Essentially, at first, it seemed to be anything with a screaming 303 and a 909. Hardfloor was considered Trance (or Acid Trance at least) along side stuff like Resistance D (and most of the Harthouse catalogue,) and so was Sven Vath way back when Accident in Paradise first came out. I think many producers had something trancey in their work at one point - well, the European ones did. Still think of it as a very continental genre for some reason. Am I wrong in that? Was it as big in Britain as it was elsewhere? By the time trance became 'Trance' it was really not my sort of thing so I kind of lost track of where it went.

I was going to post a clip of Acperience 1, but I reckon most of you have heard it before, so here's a cover of it by Linus from Charlie Brown... ;)

youtu.be/rAPxWiqx9o0

and this is probably one of the few trance tunes I still really like....

youtu.be/GoFAGjkUdsc

Mslwte
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Mslwte »

Hades wrote:this one always worked wherever I had to DJ.
Even if the crowd hated any other electronical music track I dared to put on.

youtu.be/ZnBeTPpr98g
probably all "push" tracks are decent but them probably all tracks by M.I.K.E were decent. i bought this tune and many others by him back then.
https://soundcloud.com/mslwte
https://noizefacilityrecords.bandcamp.com
https://www.instagram.com/subsekt909
https://www.facebook.com/subsekt909/
Lost to the Void wrote:Fuck off, get some tequila down ya neck and make some noise you cunt....

Mslwte
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Mslwte »

trance? techno?

youtu.be/viyNVraDQkE

fucking decent tune alright
https://soundcloud.com/mslwte
https://noizefacilityrecords.bandcamp.com
https://www.instagram.com/subsekt909
https://www.facebook.com/subsekt909/
Lost to the Void wrote:Fuck off, get some tequila down ya neck and make some noise you cunt....

oddmyth
Anba

Post by oddmyth »

MMM Drax, I paid top dollar for those records.

youtu.be/nAdoGZLTJs0

This Rachmad production pretty much sums up the 90's for me, machine funk with soul, hypnotic rhythms and a sense of anticipation and hope.

I don't think anyone cared about genres so much back then, it was all so new we didn't even have the resources to hear it all let alone try and pigeon hole it into some stereotype.
Cue 3 2013 - Devil's Advocate.

See what this is all about at oddmyth.ca

Contort
athlete

Post by Contort »

disparate wrote:I first heard this when I was like 11 or 12 (it came out in 1998 I think?). Got it on vinyl and still play it in my sets:

youtu.be/als2LeCe3Ss

I could go on a lot more but let's just say I got into dance music through trance so it's probably best that I don't ;)
+1 haha

Great track and love hearing it in the context of Sasha's SanFrancisco GU.

Age of Love...I never get sick of that one, incredible.