Techno is entering museums

General Chat // Music Discussion
Pantschowa
Alf Garnett
Techno is entering museums

Post by Pantschowa »

Well some art history experts and art critics consider museums as institutionalized graveyards of art. Does this means Techno is dying or it is becoming institutionalized high art?

youtu.be/CW08ii1lKgg

http://www.guggenheim.org/new-york/pres ... 9-gig-2013

http://www.mp2013.fr/evenements/2013/11 ... 2/?lang=en

Personally I like the fact the Techno is colliding with "high" art, only the part with institutionalizing is opposite of Techno itself. right?

Contort
athlete
Re: Techno is entering museums

Post by Contort »

Pantschowa wrote:
Personally I like the fact the Techno is colliding with "high" art
'High' art pantschowa? Is this when something is put in an art gallery, it is higher/better than the rest?

Regardless, it sounds awful. ITCHY hasn't released any techno in 10 years, mainly plays the most generic mind numbing techhouse ive ever heard and the fact that Dior is involved is the cherry on the... turd.

Someone might discover the genre that they hadn't already, a good point, but they would come across the most pretentious and unimaginative aspect of it.

Pantschowa
Alf Garnett

Post by Pantschowa »

"High" is under the quotes in my post for the reason. It is because I don't believe in high art at all as well as in the museums as places where only art is. Love Banksis prank on this:

youtu.be/EkUbYBo5xgs

Actually Ritchie done that performance in Guggenheim as Plastikman which is still one of the most ingenious Techno projects isn't it?

So then goes this question again:
Contort wrote: Is this when something is put in an art gallery, it is higher/better than the rest?
EDIT: Also, just to justify myself, I said that personally I like the fact the Techno is colliding with "high" art because i consider techno really strong artistic force closer to human more then anything else (probably because of personal experiences) with high potential of transforming of consciousness and so on what art basically should do. Art starts where philosophy fails and all of the most important avant-garde movements (which were important in improving the society's consciousness) ended up in the museums in the end because we as humans just cannot resist classifying things or lets better say we cannot live unless someone doesn't classify things for us. I see techno is starting to be recognized as this type of art as avant-garde as something that has this art potential and it is still pretty thought to be tamed because it still exists in underground frames I think.

Críoch
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Críoch »

haha.. Another ITCHY thread. Excellent. Haven't had one in 2weeks :D
KennethExack wrote:My kids and I are completely shocked by the specialized secrets that everyone has on this forum
>> Click here for NEW POSTS on subsekt <<

Dialog I The Hole I subsekt Blog I The Bench I IG I SC I Mixes I FB

LaurentOrchard
pregnant

Post by LaurentOrchard »

Thomas Koner ( porter ricks ) have been showcasing his stuff in museum ( musé des beaux art de montréal, Louvre ) for a long time. It's ambient though. I'v seen Alva Noto ( raster noton ) in the musé d'art comptemporain de montréal once. It's nothing new and those are usually cool events to attend.

Thumper
decent

Post by Thumper »

I was Paris in 2009 for an exhibition on the Centenary of the publication of the Futurist Manifesto. One of the exhibits was a sound installation by Jeff Mills set to images and video. It was pretty full on and went very well with the rest of the exhibition. He was also here in Glasgow a few months ago doing live music for some old film (I forget which.) I know he's done a few scores for old movies now (Metropolis probably being the most famous,) and I'm fairly certain he's done a couple of other arts projects over the years. It's nothing new and I'm all for it.

I don't think there is anything here really to do with High or Low art - whatever those terms might mean to people. Various genres have always had links with the visual arts, some more than others, and electronic music has always had more than a little amount of experimentalism and the avante-garde in it's history that works well with images whether static or moving. I think there is possibly an element in the fact that this is a predominately instrumental genre that allows it to work so well but that might just be me. As an aside, Dinos Chapman makes electronic music, doesn't he? Traffic in that direction seems to be much less common. Whatever, it certainly doesn't mean that techno is dieing, any more than any other genre of music with links to other strands of the arts is dieing. Up here in Scotland, we have had a fesitval called Triptych, that is spread over Aberdeen, Glasgow and Edinburgh, for several years now, where the plastic arts and music (mainly electronic,) have been celebrated together.

Anyway. I'm all for it based on my couple of good experiences with this sort of thing, but I'm wondering whether the real issue some people are going to have with it is less to do with some imagined collision between the mythical 'High' and 'Low' art and the perceived slight contained within that thinking, and more to do with the fact it's the Boy Wonder and his silk scarfed gang that's the real issue.

Regardless, I like the fact it's the Guggenheim that is involved. The Guggenheim gallery in Venice is probably my favourite in the world.

Contort
athlete

Post by Contort »

Pantschowa wrote:
Actually Ritchie done that performance in Guggenheim as Plastikman which is still one of the most ingenious Techno projects isn't it?
Cool music but I don't see anything ingenious about it, just shitloads of hype
Pantschowa wrote: EDIT: Also, just to justify myself, I said that personally I like the fact the Techno is colliding with "high" art because i consider techno really strong artistic force closer to human more then anything else (probably because of personal experiences) with high potential of transforming of consciousness and so on what art basically should do. Art starts where philosophy fails and all of the most important avant-garde movements (which were important in improving the society's consciousness) ended up in the museums in the end because we as humans just cannot resist classifying things or lets better say we cannot live unless someone doesn't classify things for us. I see techno is starting to be recognized as this type of art as avant-garde as something that has this art potential and it is still pretty thought to be tamed because it still exists in underground frames I think.
Point taken and I really wish it was like this (spiritual/consciousness element) but I don't see it at all. Modern art is alienating to most and the fact that this event alone has these ticket prices, dior affiliations and the ITCHY/. aesthetic associated will only propagate that.
I think techno will remain under the dismissive umbrella of 'dance/club' music to people who aren't very familiar with it already for some time longer, as opposed to a new emerging form of art.

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Lost to the Void »

No need to worry, its ITCHY Whoretits?, there will be no techno
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

wormcode
unsure

Post by wormcode »

I've seen electronic music at art installations for years now. Even stuff as ridiculous as someone playing white noise with static on a huge screen lol :ugeek:

Granted it's not 4x4 banging techno but still pretty ridiculous imo

oddmyth
Anba

Post by oddmyth »

Contort wrote: I think techno will remain under the dismissive umbrella of 'dance/club' music to people who aren't very familiar with it already for some time longer, as opposed to a new emerging form of art.
History speaks a different story.
Cue 3 2013 - Devil's Advocate.

See what this is all about at oddmyth.ca