Twitter DM hack/virus

General Chat // Music Discussion
tdmusic
Informer
Twitter DM hack/virus

Post by tdmusic »

Anyone else had this? Sent out spammy links which looked like status update links, to all the people who I follow and who follow me back. Don't really use Twitter much other than for keeping up to date with stuff, so not too embarrassing at least.

I guess clicking the link somehow spreads the "virus" - fuck knows how it works though. My guess was a rogue application authorised to use my Twitter... either that or password cracking but that seems unlikely.

tdmusic
Informer
Re: Twitter DM hack/virus

Post by tdmusic »

(was a good reminder to change all my important passwords and enable two factor auth anyway!)

ashley BORG
Small Penis

Post by ashley BORG »

tdmusic wrote:(was a good reminder to change all my important passwords and enable two factor auth anyway!)
Or just not use Twitter.

tdmusic
Informer

Post by tdmusic »

Ha, that thought did cross my mind. I resisted using it for ages, then a mate convinced me by telling me how important it was when he was getting work as a freelancer and building his professional reputation. Can't say I really "get it" in terms of having meaningful interactions or what to write on it, but what did surprise me is that it's a good way of keeping up to date with content from web sites, industry news sources etc. I used to use iGoogle and RSS feeds for this, they're shutting down iGoogle in a couple of days which I thought was going to be a real pain in the arse but actually Twitter has pretty much replaced it anyway - I just follow the website's account, or a certain key person in the industry or whatever. There's a lot more noise but you learn to filter it out quite quickly and the format works quite well for that sort of thing. Still hate myself for signing up though haha and I'll be damned if I ever follow a "celebrity" for a "laugh".