General listening headphones?

General Chat // Music Discussion
Bromi
BAD
General listening headphones?

Post by Bromi »

Hi all,

Due to a tragic accident involving my foot and my earphone I'm in the market to get some new headphones for my daily commute, any recommendations welcome I prefer in ear and looking to spend £50-100

Be interesting to hear what your all using!

Oh and please don't say beats by dre :?

oddmyth
Anba
Re: General listening headphones?

Post by oddmyth »

Shure SE series

http://www.shure.com/americas/products/ ... -earphones

Or Etymotics

http://www.etymotic.com/ephp/epcomp.html

Those are really the only in ears I would ever buy again. Currently using Shure SE215s that my wife bought me for Christmas, which are good for commutes and can take being banged around.

For headphones I absolutely don't care about, I just buy $4 headsets off Monoprice, which have surprisingly good response.
Cue 3 2013 - Devil's Advocate.

See what this is all about at oddmyth.ca

TechnoDude
pregnant

Post by TechnoDude »

Headphones or earphones?

I use my trusty HD-25s.

ozias_leduc
ANAL

Post by ozias_leduc »

i use AIAIAI TMA-1s

they sound good, and look SEXY

also can be used for djing

Barfunkel
Smalahove

Post by Barfunkel »

If you make music yourself, I'd just use the same headphones I use for making music, so that my ears get used to how well produced material sounds.

Producing headphones tend to be big and bulky though and are often of open design, so they bleed sound to the outsiders. So probably not the greatest choice for commuting...
"I don't shower every day, but when I do, I do it after listening to some Barfunkel" - Anonymous

http://soundcloud.com/user4904810
http://www.mixcloud.com/Barfunkel/

Bromi
BAD

Post by Bromi »

Thanks for the suggestions guys those Shure ones look pretty good I'm specifically after earphones as I don't fancy traveling with studio phones,

Another benefit I see to having separate for production/general listening is sometimes you can find additional artifacts in the mix that you might not notice if only listening on one device!

Any more welcome I'm gonna make my decision tonight and get some ordered :D

Críoch
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Críoch »

When I used to use "headphones" with my ipod.. I used to use a Sony pair that I got in Argos for 20 something quid. Had them for years & thought they were decent enough. Used to have them for the decks as well for a long time.

But dunno.. I prefer buds. I had a fantastic pair of Sony (again) buds that cost €16 for ages.. and they were amazing. The even seemed fairly accurate for using to produce.. good bass response. They broke though, as they always do. Flimsy fuckers.. and I haven't been able to some as good as since.

But I think having non-descript (non-white) buds is far better for use with ipods / phones & the like. I don't want people to know that I have something thats worth xx in my pocket. Walking around like a mobile cashpoint. I got beaten up one time, not mugged one night while wearing big headphones. I dunno.. personally I feel that its the equivalent of wearing blinkers. Makes you (IMO) a bit more oblivious to traffic, people & the shit thats going on around ya. Much easier to slip out the left or right bud when you need.

Anyway - to the idea of using the h'phones for 2 jobs; I'd feel like my production headphones are too precious to bring out & about. Everyday headphones are transient things. No point spending megabucks on them IMO. If you dont lose them, they end up breaking at the phones or jack areas :mrgreen:

Sorry man if going OT.. just felt like getting that off my chest :D
KennethExack wrote:My kids and I are completely shocked by the specialized secrets that everyone has on this forum
>> Click here for NEW POSTS on subsekt <<

Dialog I The Hole I subsekt Blog I The Bench I IG I SC I Mixes I FB

tdmusic
Informer

Post by tdmusic »

Agree with John, I've got a pair of Sennheiser's that were about £20 that I'm very happy with: http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B004HD4L2E. They've got a microphone/remote too which is handy. I've lost a couple of pairs of them in the past so I've just bought them again, I wouldn't spend more unless I was really confident that I'd take care of them... which isn't that likely if they are coming to work and back (and then possibly on to the pub) every day!

Faust
Alf Garnett

Post by Faust »

Senko
decent

Post by Senko »

I use AKG K240 MKII's for producing. They're not too bad for listening either.

Bromi
BAD

Post by Bromi »

Cheers guys, think I'm going to go with the soundmagic earphones great reviews for the price and I tend to wear then out or destroy them in 6 months so a cheaper pair makes sense I'm not going to be producing with them they are just for a train ride, plus they will be usefull as an extra listening device as I think it's good to test your track on as many outlets as possible before finalising!

Thanks again!

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Lost to the Void »

It's worth looking at ultimate ears phones.
The company is long established in making in ear monitors for the music industry.
They also made consumer phones but to aid marketing joined up with Logitech to market their consumer stuff.
I think because the Logitech name is attatched to their consumer stuff people assume it is poop, but they are very very good phones, especially the triple fi.
But the misunderstanding does mean you can get the higher end consumer ultimate ear phones for a decent price.
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

Mrlemon
fancy woman

Post by Mrlemon »

I'm a big fan of Audio Technica headphones, never really got on with Sennheisers to be honest, something about their sound has always irritated me for some reason. Unfortunately their prices seem to have jumped a bit recently, but I always used to use their ATH-PRO5MK2 as out and about phones until I killed them on an airplane.

Saying that, I've not tried their earbuds as I started cycling everywhere again a few years ago so don't tend to take music out with me these days.