Selling on Gumtree

General Chat // Music Discussion
Boiled Egg
Alf Garnett
Selling on Gumtree

Post by Boiled Egg »

I have sold loads of stuff on gumtree over the years without issue, including posting a few low value items. I have a DJ controller up for sale at the moment and I have been asked about posting it to the potential buyer.

If you are using PayPal and get receipt of delivery are you at any greater risk of being scammed than when using Ebay? I just seemed to have heard a few stories lately of 'buyers' trying it on with gumtree sellers. I hardly ever sell on Ebay so cant really compare.

Is there info about the buyer I should ask for? Don't want to lose 200 quid or end up with a ball ache dispute saga.

Críoch
subsekt
subsekt
Re: Selling on Gumtree

Post by Críoch »

I've only ever bought one thing off gumtree.. which was well dodgy & convinced me that gumtree was not for me.

Bought a Roland MC09 Phraselab off some clown who looked & acted like Liam Gallagher. We met beside a roundabout in an industrial estate on the edge of nowhere (off-grid Ballymun). He said that he was hoping that he could plug his bass guitar through it.

Someone needed to tell him to start playing drums quick 😆 - but it wasn't to be me that day. It was brand new & €50. I honestly didn't know what fucking alternate reality I'd just been in when I was driving off.. but fuck me, it stank of dodgy. Stupid dodgy people & ME. I was stupid for going along with it. Tbf.. I didn't know the meet-up was going to be at the side of the road.. he rang me when I was on the way to somewhere else. Sometimes it's too late to pull out & you curse the near miss; or the potential vulnerability, afterwards.

I think if you keep it local.. then ok. Gumtree has no comments or real profile info. It's hard to get a sense of who you are dealing with on there. It's not a community & tbh.. it's ripe for exploitation.

Shipping foreign can be dodgy. There are definitely people up to no good as well as totally genuine folk. Ive often seen Italian destinations discussed with scams with cash on delivery & stuff like that.

PayPal is ok as long as they pay through 'to a friend / friends & family' (+ pay any fees).

If they pay you through regular PayPal, they have buyer protection & can open a dispute after getting whatever you send. PayPal seems to be biased on the side of the buyer in a lot , if not all cases. This is a fantastic thing if you are the buyer. Not so great when the shoe is on the other foot.

Selling stuff to random people is complicated. If they have good English ( or whatever language) & haven't registered to the site recently, you can relax a little if you're getting a good vibe. You can often find a person online using their email / phone number on FB etc.. which helps if you wanna see if they are a scammer.

I won't sell to anyone with no feedback.

That's my take on it all anyway.
KennethExack wrote:My kids and I are completely shocked by the specialized secrets that everyone has on this forum
>> Click here for NEW POSTS on subsekt <<

Dialog I The Hole I subsekt Blog I The Bench I IG I SC I Mixes I FB

henry1
Chernobyl

Post by henry1 »

Críoch wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 1:13 am
Sometimes it's too late to pull out & you curse the near miss; or the potential vulnerability, afterwards.

- LOL -
Seriously... hilarious!

I think alot of us must have had strange encounters looking for legit deals in all the wrong places.

Anyway, I used to sell on Ebay quite alot never an issue, then again nothing work more than EUR100.
Cant comment on gumtree tho.

Boiled Egg
Alf Garnett

Post by Boiled Egg »

Being from Manchester the Liam Gallagher vibe doesn't bother me...although the rest of that story is pretty worrying.

I have decided to bin off the postage idea. There is a Rekordbox licence with this controller too so that is just another thing that could potentially be problematic if someone wanted to fuck about with me.

Not to worry though, I have two more offers! £100 cash offer (I listed for £200) or a Hugo Boss watch and £50 cash. Oooooooo which should I go for?