Do you have any long-term musical goals (even abstract, pompous or hilarious ones)?

General Chat // Music Discussion
Barfunkel
Smalahove
Do you have any long-term musical goals (even abstract, pompous or hilarious ones)?

Post by Barfunkel »

- I want to create an album one day, that combines techno, house and free jazz. Not in the sense that it samples Ornette Coleman records, but in the sense that it would be house and techno, with free flowing structures, varying tempi, free solos etc. Probably impossible for me (at least alone), but one can always dream. I don't actually know what it would sound like in reality. Shit or not. But that makes me even more keen about it.

- My ultimate life goal is to be able to create house and techno that somehow combines the musicality, originality and the experimental spirit of the 90's but still have modern production values. It's KINDA easy because I feel they are both realistic-ish goals on their own, it's combining them that is the difficult part. I don't mean I have to as good as the very best of either, just to be able to create music that can be enjoyed both by a typical 40-50 year old electronic music fan, as well as a 20 year old. It's difficult but doable. I think...

- Third one is more about recognition and appreciation rather than about the quality of the music itself. I just wish that one day I would be considered as one of the top 10 house producers in Finland. Sounds super pompous of course but it's kinda like if I wanted to be the best jazz trumpetist of Yorkshire. There just isn't a huge amount of venerable house producers in Finland really. Yotto is famous in the Anjunadeep type of house circles, Jori Hulkkonen has a long track record. A few others as well. But when I think of who is the 10th best Finnish house producer my mind is blank. So maybe I could be that one day lol.
"I don't shower every day, but when I do, I do it after listening to some Barfunkel" - Anonymous

http://soundcloud.com/user4904810
http://www.mixcloud.com/Barfunkel/

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt
Re: Do you have any long-term musical goals (even abstract, pompous or hilarious ones)?

Post by Lost to the Void »

My only long term goals are to continue making music and exploring it.
I want to do an industrial Doom EP this year, when I have the time.

I`m currently trying to make an album that takes my current experimental drum and bass and incorporates more melodic and emotional elements without being obvious. It`s very challenging, but if I get it done then hopefully it will be pressed as a double vinyl album next year, providing the label I am doing it for survives that long.

Most immediate goal is to develop my experimental drum and bass into a Live PA, as I have decided to start playing live again, after quitting some time before the pandemic (for various reasons). I have a booking already, but as yet, no live PA, but I do have an idea of how I will do it, and with what gear.

Ooh, and I want to launch my new label, just need to get a remix sorted for release 1 then it's ready to go, pressing vinyl though so it`s unlikely I will get it released this year due to the pressing queues.

My biggest goal is to form a long term collaboration/band/group project, as I miss working in a band environment.
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

SigEnt
will fuck for food
Re: Do you have any long-term musical goals (even abstract, pompous or hilarious ones)?

Post by SigEnt »

Good question.

The first goal, keep making music and enjoying the process and improving. My goal a few years ago was to just finish some bloody tracks and stop dicking around with half finished loops

I'd love to create a really decent IDM-ish album, yeah I know it was done to death in 90's but it would of course be my take on the whole thing.

Perhaps perform live in a few intimate venues, I'll need to build a decent back catalogue of tracks and learn a few pieces of kit inside out so I'd be comfortable preforming with them, but this may be possible in the years to come, even if the gigs don't happen I think the process will be fun.

Amøbe
Moderate

Post by Amøbe »

Near goal is to just get myself together and send some of the tracks I like out.

But I have this idea of creating a sort of singer-songwriter gone shoegaze album. It's kinda the musical place I grew up in, and I have a lot more tools in my arsenal today to create some interesting texture and modulate the noise wall.

chava
You only live once

Post by chava »

Restart and raze down the current techno culture (not "industry", as I don't care about that anyways). I don't exactly know how or why, but it will probably involve a heavy dose of anti tech / neo luddite attitudes and semi religious symbolism. On vinyl of course.

timc3
Back Bling

Post by timc3 »

Music and all the gear for me is primarily a way to de-compress and relax, but I also try and invest some time in learning and improving production and engineering skills because I enjoy it.

The general goal for me is to keep this as a fun and enjoyable hobby, I have more than enough other stuff on my plate to understand that it could be too much to take on otherwise.

Twilitez
You only live once

Post by Twilitez »

Make stuff everyone plays when i get back into the game. Thats all.

2latuile
hmmmmmm...

Post by 2latuile »

"Long term goals" ??? What's that ??? :mrgreen:
Lost to the Void wrote: I am unlikely to teach small children how to break someone violently (...). So I think it will be fine.
[wesellboxes] wrote: Anyone that believes in conspiracy theories has never worked in project management.

illit_
Gazza

Post by illit_ »

Been mulling this over since you posted it, don't know why :lol:

I want to play only my music when I DJ, that's a good realistic goal. Then to move onto performing a live set, Macbook and Ableton set up. I am a digital baby.

I have a concept for creating music based on the sonic growth of landscapes. Get better at polymeter techno ( I saw Shackleton a few months ago in London and he traversed tempos via polymeters rather than just changing the tempo, was genuinely creative ). Put on some proper techno gigs.

And not get bored of techno. There seems to be a trend...

quest
will fuck for food

Post by quest »

Actually want to do what Voidloss is always mentioning, to really innovate in techno genre. For me this required focusing on mainly drums and production quality for nearly 10 years, to get them to a point where I could do a deep dive into synths and have a strong foundation for focusing on that kind of work.

I guess I feel good synth work needs a good context to develop in, on its own you don’t know what the groove is gonna be.