21st century music-making concepts

General Chat // Music Discussion
dubdub
Asphyxiwank
21st century music-making concepts

Post by dubdub »

On my Substack, I started a new series of essays about concepts that I think are crucial to music production today.

The first one is on the idea of the "sweetspot" and how it shapes the production process.

Maybe someone will like it!

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt
Re: 21st century music-making concepts

Post by Lost to the Void »

One of the things you left out was confirmation bias and bullshit.

A lot of old gear has mythical status around it that invokes confirmation bias and audiowoo.

Take the old Fairchild compressor/limiters. Absolute grot boxes with a very narrow sweet spot that the vst world hyped to be these magical "everything sounds good" boxes.

20 grand to buy one and discover actually it`s a pretty gacky bit of old crusty gear that takes a lot of work and knowledge to get that magical mojo out of.
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

dubdub
Asphyxiwank

Post by dubdub »

Lost to the Void wrote:
Thu Mar 30, 2023 5:36 pm
One of the things you left out was confirmation bias and bullshit.

A lot of old gear has mythical status around it that invokes confirmation bias and audiowoo.

Take the old Fairchild compressor/limiters. Absolute grot boxes with a very narrow sweet spot that the vst world hyped to be these magical "everything sounds good" boxes.

20 grand to buy one and discover actually it`s a pretty gacky bit of old crusty gear that takes a lot of work and knowledge to get that magical mojo out of.
That's true, although bias and bullshit is a big enough topic to deserve its own post for sure :lol:

I think original Fairchilds are more like 50k+ now? They've entered that realm where only the super wealthy collectors are playing so another ten grand or so doesn't really matter anymore.

Amøbe
Moderate

Post by Amøbe »

Just read the first part - this is really great! I love the way you write, and especially how you make technical talk to be about something musical :)

dubdub
Asphyxiwank

Post by dubdub »

Amøbe wrote:
Fri Mar 31, 2023 8:30 am
Just read the first part - this is really great! I love the way you write, and especially how you make technical talk to be about something musical :)
Thanks!

illit_
Gazza

Post by illit_ »

Great read! Everyone talks about the LA-2A having 1 knob but it for sure has 2 xD maybe I've been using the wrong one this whole time. Looking forward to reading more!

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Lost to the Void »

illit_ wrote:
Sat Apr 01, 2023 5:01 pm
Great read! Everyone talks about the LA-2A having 1 knob but it for sure has 2 xD maybe I've been using the wrong one this whole time. Looking forward to reading more!
I was in a studio today with a rack of 4 LA-2A's.

Overkill. The guy tried to persuade me to take two off of him. Like I was gonna whimsically drop 6 grand in his hand.
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

willemb
Mild

Post by willemb »

Nicely written, very recognisable, chasing sweetspots.

Btw you wrote "It better a good knob!" which i think should be "It better be a good knob!"