Lost in 2023

General Chat // Music Discussion
Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt
Lost in 2023

Post by Lost to the Void »

So I`m spitballing a bit looking for a little advice or affirmation, maybe just support, I don`t know.

So, I currently have 3 music projects/pseudonyms in operation. 4 sort of.

They focus in different areas, have common points, but I can`t stick everything out under the same name as it would be a little confusing for the labels, me and followers.

I`ve been trying new things, basically to see where I can go with techno, and trying to find some fresh ground.
However it takes me a fair amount of time to get an EP of anything together, due to my working process....basically I make loads of stuff and whittle down that loads of stuff through layers of critical assessment until I have the "gold nuggets" left. It takes ages, I really care about what I do, and try always to do new things which each piece.

It`s becoming hard to focus on so many projects and get traction as I am releasing infrequently due to my work being split over these projects.
I was thinking about 3/4 through last year, I should probably jack in some projects so I can focus.

The problem is that all these projects are now getting some traction. And a 4th project is now in option of reviving.
I`m just baffled as to what to do.
I can talk about this here as it is our secret club, removed from the techno-sphere as a whole.

So firstly there is Voidloss - that`s always my main outlet for where my head is at. I`ve pivoted the project to Experimental 170/drum and bass/bass music/techno crossover. The most recent EP has done great, and is getting support from the people at the tip of the spear in that game. I honestly expected that pivoting to a different genre would be literally like starting from zero, but it seems the scene is really receptive to what I am doing.
I `m going to keep going with it, it most closely represents me.

Then there is Heretic. Heretic was/is a project that was to continue the through line of the techno side of Voidloss, but to really hone in on the melancholy and emotional feelings and combine it with a lot of techniques that are basically about doing things "wrong".
I was mainly doing this project for Subsist Recordings, and recently had vinyl pressed on Faith Disciplines, with a double vinyl album out later in the year (if I finish it/make headway with it). There have only been a few releases, but it is getting some good traction now.

Then there is Catharsis. Catharsis started as a collaboration (with someone on this very forum) combining ambient stuff with my newer techniques from Heretic. The other person kinda vanished before the first release was pressed, and so I continued on alone. Catharsis is fully industrial music, it is a Cathartic process in itself, the aim is to combine enlightenment philosophies with dark experimental industrial music. To create a sort of spiritual music that operates in a Jungian sense, uplifting music hidden within what at surface level seems dark. Occult in the true sense I suppose.
It's going well, just had the third release as a double vinyl, and working on finishing up the 4th, with some collab projects to do this year. I want to take this out as a live project but not necessarily in nightclubs, or not techno clubs, but the project is fun and....Cathartic.

I also recorded as Death Abyss. That was basically an industrial dubstep thing done for Rodz Konez that was filled with deep sarcasm, a bit of pseudo-punk that was satirising a lot of attitudes to art, morality, media and artists. It was a lot of fun, apparently a lot of people dug it, and it influenced a few producers to change their sound (so I have been told by Makaton). I kept it exclusive to Rodz, and Rodz being as anti promotion/influencer/social bullshit as it is, although it was liked, it never really felt like there was any traction, at least not tangibly to me.

Then me and Makaton had a discussion, and Steve punted the idea that we take Death Abyss live, and make it a live double act. Me doing the beats and weird vocals, steve doing the weird sounds and ambience. Then the pandemic happened so it made rehearsing and collabing on the live thing unviable, and I kinda forgot about it.
Steve has been back on at me now, about getting Death Abyss out live this year.
I get to work with one of my fave artists, and a friend, and I`ve wanted to get in to a band context again, as I miss that thing were you can bounce ideas off of each other and vibe, and we have a similar vision musically and tactically.

I can`t maintain all this shit, and run my mastering business. And I`m a bit lost. I can continue doing everything as it is, but it will be sporadic, and it sorta feels weirdly unsatisfying. Or I have to kill one of my babies or more. Or just focus on releases and not bother with live performance. I did actually do my last ever live performance before the pandemic (and announced it as such) as I had completely fallen out of love with techno clubland, and what it had become, and didn`t feel like I fit in to that paradigm. But I now have got my fire back, although I want to make any live performance subversive in some way.

So yeah, I`m thinking out loud as I am in a state of utter confusion.
And yes, first world problems.
Don`t get me wrong, every release I get, I still am surprised and thankful for, I`m a terminal non-joiner and always feel somewhat separated/imposter syndrome, so whenever someone releases my shit it genuinely surprises me and I always appreciate it.
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

willemb
Mild
Re: Lost in 2023

Post by willemb »

Lost to the Void wrote:
Wed Jan 25, 2023 5:47 pm
I also recorded as Death Abyss.
Oh wow I had no idea that that was you.... but it makes sense in my head now. Part of the reason i love Death Abyss are the related artwork (covers etc) and song titles... Absolutley brilliant.

I cant really say anything useful to help you guide your focus, but too many projects must be better than too few.

Evert
who is it?

Post by Evert »

I've always had my suspicions about who was behind those names. Nice to see that I was right at the end hehe.

Making a choice is a tough one.
I seriously love your recent Voidloss output, so I hope there's lots more to come.

orchard
quasi-public

Post by orchard »

If nothing else, writing all out like that may help provide a bit of clarity.

Also, have you thought of going on holiday? Not to sound glib, by any means but just escaping and switching off may help.

All power to you though.

Ben Kohonays
Quaint

Post by Ben Kohonays »

Well if continuing as you are is not the direction you want to go in, the only option IMO is to really focus on which of these projects feels the most important to you. Figure out how much work is involved in each one, decide the amount that's doable and hone things down to that.
0dd wrote: Gotta love the subsekt derail ethic.

buffered
Freestyler

Post by buffered »

Worth looking into obliterating a few dancefloors with that Death Abyss stuff

Amøbe
Moderate

Post by Amøbe »

Damn that's a massive output! My girlfriend has been going through some seriously stressful times, and if there is one lesson to learn from that, it is that however tough it may be, it is important to say no to stuff, if you don't have the time for it. That also includes saying no to stuff that you really wanted to do, because the alternative is that you'll end up getting no pleasure from any of it.

Now I don't know if you are in that space, but just be careful that you don't get so much on your plate that you'll burn out.

subvers^v
hunger marcher

Post by subvers^v »

Lost to the Void wrote:
Wed Jan 25, 2023 5:47 pm
I can continue doing everything as it is, but it will be sporadic, and it sorta feels weirdly unsatisfying. Or I have to kill one of my babies or more. Or just focus on releases and not bother with live performance. I did actually do my last ever live performance before the pandemic (and announced it as such) as I had completely fallen out of love with techno clubland, and what it had become, and didn`t feel like I fit in to that paradigm.
Sounds like the live thing is more of a want than a need. Mastering is your bread and butter so that gets the 9 to 5. After that you decide how you spend your creative time. I guess the question is which project is the most beneficial from a development point, which one can be shelved for the short term? A case of kiss one, fuck one, marry one! ..

Divjak
slipper

Post by Divjak »

I think that you cant mess it up, death abyss inspired by recent times would be pretty great I think, but just do anything its nice.
Scratch a liberal and a fascist bleeds.

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Lost to the Void »

Cheers folks, I guess I just needed to write it down. It`s all compounded by some family stress.
I can see the light at the end of the tunnel with the stress though, and I also think I have made a sensible decision on how to move forward musically.
Heretic is going to have to meet the spanish inquisition unfortunately.
Death Abyss will rise again to spit bile and hold a mirror to evil.
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

msl
║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█

Post by msl »

Well better to have too many options than too few right. However obvs too many balls in the air. I always tend towards the "new", and anything collaborative. Working with others can be so much more rewarding (and messy). So I would definitely pursue the live collab option. Its always good to kill your precious imo and remain moving forward. Voidloss will always be there, so let it chug along in the background.

Congrats on your marriage sorry never posted in your thread !
www.bernadettetrax.bandcamp.com
www.soundcloud.com/michaellovatt

“Once men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free. But that only permitted other men with machines to enslave them.” Dune

ekwipt
Smore

Post by ekwipt »

If it were me, I'd keep the Voidless moniker and release everything except the Death Abyss and make that the duo name

mindstuff
hmmmmmm...

Post by mindstuff »

Sounds like you're working your way into paralysis. Just as you do with tracks do with your aliases. Prune and be critical to which ones demand your full attention. If you have fans they will wait.