Howdy -Long time no see

General Chat // Music Discussion
jordanneke
subsekt
subsekt
Howdy -Long time no see

Post by jordanneke »

That's it really.

How are you fine folks? Still dealing with this shit, but curiously addictive situation called life?

Amøbe
Moderate
Re: Howdy -Long time no see

Post by Amøbe »

Hey Jordan :)

Still looking for a job, but have an interview coming up that I really hope plans out :) besides that I'm renovating our apartment, so it's kinda hard to sit down and make music, but I just got a space in my friends studio from the first of september, which I'm really looking forward to :)

Unemployment is frustrating, and so is not having a kitchen, but I will say that overall I'm in a fine mood these days. How are you?

jordanneke
subsekt
subsekt

Post by jordanneke »

I hope the job works out for you! Man I hate renovating!

I bought a new music PC a few months ago, but with family shit general life stuff I hadn't really had the same to sit and make music. Plus the inspiration had gone really. Now I've actually got it all set up, I'm ready again.

Bit quiet round here though!

Amøbe
Moderate

Post by Amøbe »

jordanneke wrote:
Thu Aug 25, 2022 1:15 pm
I hope the job works out for you! Man I hate renovating!

I bought a new music PC a few months ago, but with family shit general life stuff I hadn't really had the same to sit and make music. Plus the inspiration had gone really. Now I've actually got it all set up, I'm ready again.

Thanks man :) - yeah it's a very old apartment and our toilet wasn't made to have a shower in it (which it had), so we had a lot of black mold issues out there, so it was kind of inevitable that it had to be done at some point (luckily we got the loan approved the day before I lost my job :lol:)

But happy to hear you are able to get it going again :) I really love - and have missed! - your music!

and yeah - it seems like right before summer hit, a lot of activity just went down! Hope people wants to come back around, because this is definitely the best place in my opinion (I sometimes hang a little around in r/technoproduction, but there's just a lot of 'How do I make that sound?' threads, and a lot of misinformation being spread in there. I think it has to with a very YouTube-positive outlook they got going there (not that I'm against the people making videos, sometimes they just touch on specific subjects very superficially and present it in a sort of fundamentalist way, where you should apply the same settings in all cases, and there's no need to understand how your tools actually work). Also there's just a lot of people that pop in and say hello a few times, and then they disappear again. I like that you have to add to subsekt before you'll get something back, as I believe it makes people stick around a little longer.

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Lost to the Void »

jordanneke wrote:
Wed Aug 24, 2022 8:32 pm
That's it really.

How are you fine folks? Still dealing with this shit, but curiously addictive situation called life?
Hello mate, it has been a while, I hope you are well, things were a little down last you updated.

I`m good here, went through a major reassessment of what I was doing over the lockdown.
Came to the conclusion that for my own sanity I had to stop fighting the battle I was fighting in techno and just move on, it`s no longer somewhere I fit in.
So I`m out, no more techno, focusing on 170 experimental bass music/drum and bass/hybrid industrial and my industrial side projects.
Starting to get traction and it`s looking good, got great responses from my first release, aiming for my first 170 vinyl next year, and hope to have a Live PA ready for gigging by the end of this year.
It`s a little intimidating, basically abandoning everything I have established for the last 20 years, career suicide some may say, but playing safe was never my game, so fuck it.

Also I`m getting married. We figured after 25 years together we should crown the relationship and get married.
So maximum goth style we are getting married on the day of the dead, in an underground cave with a lake, and bats.
We aren`t telling any family, effectively eloping, it will just be the two of us and the celebrant.
Mental. Also, getting married is a pain, all the sodding official stuff...meh. Had some troubles with my name change (I deedpoled over to voidloss some years back) as various authorities fucked up my first name. But we sorted it in the end.

Wagwan with you?
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

jordanneke
subsekt
subsekt

Post by jordanneke »

Lost to the Void wrote:
Thu Aug 25, 2022 2:14 pm
jordanneke wrote:
Wed Aug 24, 2022 8:32 pm
That's it really.

Hello mate, it has been a while, I hope you are well, things were a little down last you updated.

I`m good here, went through a major reassessment of what I was doing over the lockdown.
Came to the conclusion that for my own sanity I had to stop fighting the battle I was fighting in techno and just move on, it`s no longer somewhere I fit in.
So I`m out, no more techno, focusing on 170 experimental bass music/drum and bass/hybrid industrial and my industrial side projects.
Starting to get traction and it`s looking good, got great responses from my first release, aiming for my first 170 vinyl next year, and hope to have a Live PA ready for gigging by the end of this year.
It`s a little intimidating, basically abandoning everything I have established for the last 20 years, career suicide some may say, but playing safe was never my game, so fuck it.

Also I`m getting married. We figured after 25 years together we should crown the relationship and get married.
So maximum goth style we are getting married on the day of the dead, in an underground cave with a lake, and bats.
We aren`t telling any family, effectively eloping, it will just be the two of us and the celebrant.
Mental. Also, getting married is a pain, all the sodding official stuff...meh. Had some troubles with my name change (I deedpoled over to voidloss some years back) as various authorities fucked up my first name. But we sorted it in the end.

Wagwan with you?
Eloping eh? Caves and day of the dead, eh? This is the sort of shit that I miss hearing about in my day-to-day life! Good luck! I hope that the day goes well. My wedding was like 9 months of utter stress, despite only inviting parents, 2 siblings and 5 friends in total. Here it's totally fine with name changes...no one fucking does it.

I hear what you are saying about the music. Techno has changed, yet remained exactly the same as it was 25 years ago (with all this trance/ prog rubbish), so rather than be an old man yelling at clouds, might as well try something different. But then again, you've been the same in that 'fuck it' sense in the little time I've known you!

I just have the urge to create some shit again, which I am happy at.

Went away with the wife for a few days w/o kids, and she says 'life's been pretty terrible to you recently hasn't it', I was like 'Didn't think I looked that rough!', but hey ho, still got my 2 arms and 2 legs, so things could totally be worse!

Amøbe
Moderate

Post by Amøbe »

Congrats Steve! Sounds like a perfect voidloss wedding :)

And damn, Jordan! I totally sweated out that you talked about being in a rough spor. Hope things are getting better!

Ben Kohonays
Quaint

Post by Ben Kohonays »

Ey up!

jordanneke wrote:

Understatement.
0dd wrote: Gotta love the subsekt derail ethic.

jordanneke
subsekt
subsekt

Post by jordanneke »

Ben Kohonays wrote:
Fri Aug 26, 2022 1:34 am
Ey up!

jordanneke wrote:

Understatement.
Ey up, me duck.

Shit's gonna get busy round here now I've got a new computer and coffee machine.

timc3
Back Bling

Post by timc3 »

Congrats Steve! Underground cave with Bats sounds like a great place to tie the knot!

Know what you mean about techno, I never got involved as deeply as you and many others so I still find stuff that can feel fresh, and rarely get the opportunity to go out anywhere so can isolate myself quite well from the shit (which is the majority) I don't like. And besides production/messing around with equipment for me is a relief from work and home life so I just have fun with it.

Hope you are on the up jordnaneke. Two arms and two legs is a good number.

We sold our company at the beginning of the year, but I am still very busy with it and will be for the foreseeable future, plus general family life with two kids and organising renovations on our house is still continuing is keeping me busy. Little time left for music (and related forums etc), so I just bought a portable modular case so I can noodle when I can on the couch.

Amøbe
Moderate

Post by Amøbe »

timc3 wrote:
Fri Aug 26, 2022 8:23 am
Congrats Steve! Underground cave with Bats sounds like a great place to tie the knot!

Know what you mean about techno, I never got involved as deeply as you and many others so I still find stuff that can feel fresh, and rarely get the opportunity to go out anywhere so can isolate myself quite well from the shit (which is the majority) I don't like. And besides production/messing around with equipment for me is a relief from work and home life so I just have fun with it.

Hope you are on the up jordnaneke. Two arms and two legs is a good number.

We sold our company at the beginning of the year, but I am still very busy with it and will be for the foreseeable future, plus general family life with two kids and organising renovations on our house is still continuing is keeping me busy. Little time left for music (and related forums etc), so I just bought a portable modular case so I can noodle when I can on the couch.
we should get a renovation thread going :lol:

what kind of company did you sell :) (and congrats! sounds like a big decision)

timc3
Back Bling

Post by timc3 »

Amøbe wrote:
Fri Aug 26, 2022 8:35 am

That would totally up the post count from my end, though I wonder if everyone else wants to discuss taps, plumbing, tiles and concrete. :D

It is a software company, https://iconik.io - We help our customers manage large amounts of media files (which is often video) and work with and collaborate around those files remotely - we really got going with it just before the pandemic which was lucky timing in that regard. And yes it was a big decision as this was a relatively young company we had started out of another company we used to own. So far so good.

Amøbe
Moderate

Post by Amøbe »

timc3 wrote:
Fri Aug 26, 2022 8:57 am
Amøbe wrote:
Fri Aug 26, 2022 8:35 am

That would totally up the post count from my end, though I wonder if everyone else wants to discuss taps, plumbing, tiles and concrete. :D

It is a software company, https://iconik.io - We help our customers manage large amounts of media files (which is often video) and work with and collaborate around those files remotely - we really got going with it just before the pandemic which was lucky timing in that regard. And yes it was a big decision as this was a relatively young company we had started out of another company we used to own. So far so good.
That seems like the absolute perfect time to get something like that running :D

...so one thing I have become drastically more aware of is how hard the water in Copenhagen is - which made us pick much larger tiles for the wet room (is that what it is called in English? the part of the bathroom that has some membranes under the tile) :D

jordanneke
subsekt
subsekt

Post by jordanneke »

timc3 wrote:
Fri Aug 26, 2022 8:23 am

Sounds like you are winning at this adult thing!

Post up some of your noodling into the music section.

Ben Kohonays
Quaint

Post by Ben Kohonays »

jordanneke wrote:
Fri Aug 26, 2022 6:49 am

Ey up, me duck.

Shit's gonna get busy round here now I've got a new computer and coffee machine.
Good to hear, bring it on!
0dd wrote: Gotta love the subsekt derail ethic.

timc3
Back Bling

Post by timc3 »

Amøbe wrote:
Fri Aug 26, 2022 9:07 am
That seems like the absolute perfect time to get something like that running :D

...so one thing I have become drastically more aware of is how hard the water in Copenhagen is - which made us pick much larger tiles for the wet room (is that what it is called in English? the part of the bathroom that has some membranes under the tile) :D
Yeah, it's a wet room when the whole room can take water everywhere and it drains off into the drain and not into the walls! It's going to be a wet room in ours as well because that is the Swedish standard - that membrane shit is damn expensive. Had no idea about sizing the tiles based upon the hardness of the water - perhaps it means that you don't end up with so much grout (the stuff in between the tiles) per sq. meter.
jordanneke wrote:
Fri Aug 26, 2022 12:04 pm
Sounds like you are winning at this adult thing!

Post up some of your noodling into the music section.
Well I am getting on a bit now, 47 today! Will post some shit up soon, I actually got some hours to myself yesterday to do some music - rare luxury.

Amøbe
Moderate

Post by Amøbe »

timc3 wrote:
Sun Aug 28, 2022 1:29 pm

Yeah, it's a wet room when the whole room can take water everywhere and it drains off into the drain and not into the walls! It's going to be a wet room in ours as well because that is the Swedish standard - that membrane shit is damn expensive. Had no idea about sizing the tiles based upon the hardness of the water - perhaps it means that you don't end up with so much grout (the stuff in between the tiles) per sq. meter.
Yeah - it's definitely the biggest expense of the renovation, and that's exactly why. Apparently a lot of the chemicals that removes the grout aren't so good friends with whatever you put between the tiles (silicone? My English vocabulary is apparently really not trimmed for talking about bathrooms :lol:)

Amøbe
Moderate

Post by Amøbe »

The Danish word is 'fuge'

timc3
Back Bling

Post by timc3 »

Amøbe wrote:
Sun Aug 28, 2022 7:00 pm
Yeah - it's definitely the biggest expense of the renovation, and that's exactly why. Apparently a lot of the chemicals that removes the grout aren't so good friends with whatever you put between the tiles (silicone? My English vocabulary is apparently really not trimmed for talking about bathrooms :lol:)
Grout is kind of water, cement and sand often with colour, which is Fog or Kakelfog/Klinkerfog in Swedish. Silicon is used on joints, like where the toilet meets the floor. My guess is the hard water deposits minerals (called scale in English) in the grout and on the tiles when it dries and that causes problems, particularly when trying to remove it.

These words in other languages are hard if you don't use them often! Sometimes even the same word has a different meaning between English and Swedish. Further complication is British English and American English use different words for the same thing - Plasterboard (gipsskiva) is Drywall. Though American drywall is basically rubbish compared to the European stuff, hence why you can actually throw people through walls in America. :D

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Lost to the Void »

Ah, that`s our next big job, the bathroom. We just paid for new double glazing and composite door for the front of the house.
Once that is done, it means I can finish my music room (as it contains one of the windows that will be replaced), which has kinda become a bit of a storage area until shit is done. So once the new window is in, I can get my custom desk ordered, get that installed, fit some sound treatment and get all the streaming shit sorted too.
Knock on of that is that the walk in closet/wardrobe that is next to the music room, can be finished. As it also gets a new window. Once that is done, lino for the floor, fit all the closet fittings, then the missus has a nice changing room etc.
THEN we can finally do the bathroom, which we are converting into a wet room.
And I also need to get aircon fitted to the mastering room, because heatwaves are going to be regular.

Owning a house is a fucking madness.
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.