Doing anything nice for Xmas.. Plans / Presents?

General Chat // Music Discussion
Críoch
subsekt
subsekt
Doing anything nice for Xmas.. Plans / Presents?

Post by Críoch »

Nearly that time of year again. The last few weeks have flown.

Anyone up to anything interesting.. or has covid put a hex on some plans?

Strange one for me this year. Gonna be working xmas day. Not too bothered really.. as its only the first half. Be done & dusted by lunch. Happy to do it. Worked a xmas evening once & found that most unenjoyable. The day was ruined clockwatching. A countdown to the inevitable.. all day. Fine once on the road.. but during the day; Pure buzzkill :lol:

It'll be a very quiet, reduced-family-size day this year due to me working. Not moving once I get home.

I've got a MS20mini (again) from my missus. Should really wrap it up again :? :mrgreen:

She was more practical & said that she wanted a new double shower door for her present. The last one was lovely.. but got utterly fucked with cillit bang. Glass had completely lost its sheen & the chrome had started to look scabby & barnacled. Just finished replacing it tonight. The holes in the tiles from the old one lined up perfectly with the anchor screw holes of the new one. No tile drilling required.

HOW OFTEN DOES THAT HAPPEN??!! Win :mrgreen:

Still got her something for xmas day though.. but first, I'll be giving her a wrapped up bottle of cillit bang as a joke. Its awful stuff.

Hope you all have a good one!
KennethExack wrote:My kids and I are completely shocked by the specialized secrets that everyone has on this forum
>> Click here for NEW POSTS on subsekt <<

Dialog I The Hole I subsekt Blog I The Bench I IG I SC I Mixes I FB

loug
Pig
Re: Doing anything nice for Xmas.. Plans / Presents?

Post by loug »

Enjoy your MS20, I'll get a new sequencer from... myself :lol:

Val Endrada
Jan : )

Post by Val Endrada »

I'm not really doing anything special. I quit drugs and alcohol cold turkey a little over 3 months ago now, so this'll be my first Xmas/NY since my early teens completely sober. It's less bleak than it probably sounds. Overall I'm feeling better than I have for years.

Most people here are eating and drinking like there's no tomorrow, though. It's he traditional thing to do this time of year in Denmark. I live in a seaside resort town and there's literally alcohol and food everywhere - a lot of rich old people luxuriously drinking themselves to death. Been tempted to join in a few times, to be honest, but I plan to keep sober an do more experiments in the studio.

Best wishes from here as well♥

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Lost to the Void »

Having my mum over for a few days.
Not sure if we are visiting family with the madness going on now. London is disease central.
Probably going to go on a few countryside day trips.

I think the missus has got me an OCULUS (I really want to investigate virtual clubbing and how I can use it) , no idea what else, neither of us wanted much this year. I've got her a bunch of things she has mentioned over the last few months as she didn't ask for anything for Christmas.

Getting my mum a tablet (84 years old she is, but fully Internet savvy-ish) and taking her out, she generally asks for days out rather than presents. Took her to see Brian Cox and Robin Ince Christmas Compendium at the Albert Hall all last week. She loves science and Brian Cox. (We were treated to performances from surprise guests Marc Almond and Boy George..... So a lecture about neuroscience, and how the self is an illusion created by the Brain, then a talk about the nature of space time and the inevitable end of the universe, then Boy George singing A Fairy Tale in New York, by the Pogues. Interesting evening).
Going to take her to a really cool place run by the horticultural society, a mile and a half night time woodland walk where all the trees and stuff are lit with various lights and projections, and food and drink huts are dotted about. Should be nice covid safe evening.

Other than that, not much. Got a lot of DIY to do on the house, missus has 3 weeks holiday so I'm going to take us out on day trips and just hang out together. Might do a party NYE but probably not.
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

Ben Kohonays
Quaint

Post by Ben Kohonays »

No plans. Don't really 'do' xmas, not since the kids flew the nest.

On the upside I think I finally killed my GAS. Though admittedly that was through buying loads of gear lol.
0dd wrote: Gotta love the subsekt derail ethic.

loug
Pig

Post by loug »

What about we all do something here on subsekt? Like a xmas mixing challenge or something

Duffdeal
quasi-public

Post by Duffdeal »

I think my girlfriend has got me something big this year...

She tested positive on Saturday. I was negative at the time but likely won't stay that way for long. PCR is in the post.

It's beginning to look a lot like Omichristmas.

Val Endrada

Post by Val Endrada »

loug wrote:
Tue Dec 21, 2021 6:24 am
What about we all do something here on subsekt? Like a xmas mixing challenge or something
Bring it on!

subvers^v
hunger marcher

Post by subvers^v »

Val Endrada wrote:
Mon Dec 20, 2021 1:27 pm
I'm not really doing anything special. I quit drugs and alcohol cold turkey a little over 3 months ago now, so this'll be my first Xmas/NY since my early teens completely sober.
Good for you. I find it challenging around now, meeting old friends and that...

My gf got me microtonic. A friend of mine did soundpacks for it back in the day and I reminded him about it. He was baffled why I would get it as it's been knocking about for, well, decades now...

Apart from that, we have a littlun, nearly three now so she is just getting the Santa thing and it's nice.
Keeps telling us she is getting "A cot with no bars"!
Don't know where that came from of but she comes out with some funny stuff. I was never the xmas type, find it depressing mostly, but will be fun to see how she takes it in ..

loug
Pig

Post by loug »

Val Endrada wrote:
Tue Dec 21, 2021 1:12 pm
loug wrote:
Tue Dec 21, 2021 6:24 am
Bring it on!
I get the feeling it won't happen. :lol:

timc3
Back Bling

Post by timc3 »

Well my Finance and kids are sick (it's not Covid 19, we had them tested), and I am just about holding off from getting whatever they have too bad though I am not feeling great. At least it's a good excuse to get plenty of rest, take it easy with the cooking - Swedish Christmas food is dead simple, and I will do an easy version of the UK Christmas dinner.

Glad I put my travel to England plans on hold (though it's been a long time) as it seems to be quite bad there at the moment.

[wesellboxes]
Q33 NY

Post by [wesellboxes] »

Been seriously ill since Christmas day, tested positive for Covid today. 10 days of family isolation.

Been a shite Christmas :(

terryfalafel
Component

Post by terryfalafel »

subvers^v wrote:
Wed Dec 22, 2021 2:05 am
Apart from that, we have a littlun, nearly three now so she is just getting the Santa thing and it's nice.
Keeps telling us she is getting "A cot with no bars"!
Don't know where that came from of but she comes out with some funny stuff. I was never the xmas type, find it depressing mostly, but will be fun to see how she takes it in ..
Having a nipper really makes the difference at Christmas. It definitely helped remind me that it's my choice to be grumpy about it or not, and despite all that negative, consumer aspects, there plenty to enjoy if you choose to see it in the right light.

Ben Kohonays
Quaint

Post by Ben Kohonays »

[wesellboxes] wrote:
Thu Dec 30, 2021 6:30 pm
Been seriously ill since Christmas day, tested positive for Covid today. 10 days of family isolation.

Been a shite Christmas :(
Sorry to hear that, what awful timing.
0dd wrote: Gotta love the subsekt derail ethic.

[wesellboxes]
Q33 NY

Post by [wesellboxes] »

Ben Kohonays wrote:
Fri Dec 31, 2021 8:54 pm
Sorry to hear that, what awful timing.
Cheers, and yes it's been shitey. I've missed out on the cheeseboard, picky meats and beers in front of the TV and had a few things planned with my kid that's had to be postponed too. Last night was my 2nd ever sober Hogmanay too since I was 16. Anyway, gradually getting better now though so onwards in '22.

jordanneke
subsekt
subsekt

Post by jordanneke »

Lads…this year I had to send a billion quid to go and get my dementia suffering Mom from the UK to go and bring her her for xmas, and then get her back 9 corona tests later.

Just had to let it out.

Otherwise I bought me and the boys a shit load of lego, including the Apollo 11 Saturn V. It’s amazing!

Fed up of the wife ‘borrowing’ my outdoor jacket, so I bought her one, but the fucker didn’t fit. Bollocks.

Anyway, I really hope all you have a great 2022. Sincerely. My liver can’t cope with another shit year!

mervv

Post by mervv »

I had another Christmas alone. It's been several years now, so I'm pretty used to it. Met with some friends for a Christmas potluck a couple days before the holiday and did a few other holiday type things, but Christmas day I just stayed home, made some nice food for myself, called my mom, etc.
Not married/no kids and it was already difficult to travel to see my family on account of being on the other side of the planet. So covid didn't change much, just made it even more difficult.