Computer monitors

General Chat // Music Discussion
SCUMM
skaghead
Computer monitors

Post by SCUMM »

Hi everyone,

I recently upgraded my setup and have purchased a mac mini second hand. I'm on the hunt for a new monitor to pair it with. Using a 1080P samsung currently but theres a noticable difference in Abletons interface, it doesn't look as sharp as my macbook pro (as to be expected). Anyway the maximum output of my macmini is 1440P so am looking for something with that spec and am thinking 27" which will fit nicely between my speakers.

Any suggestions? What do you all use and what size monitors do you have? Do any of you use dual monitors and do you find it an advantage compared to having a single screen? Personally I dont think I'd 2 of them but would be great to hear your opinions.

Also do any of you have a curved monitor and how do you find them, is there a big advantage or no need?
WHERE WORDS FAIL MUSIC SPEAKS

Críoch
subsekt
subsekt
Re: Computer monitors

Post by Críoch »

I did have a traditional computer monitor for years. Last one went on the blink literally.. and LG.. apparently a common issue with them. Would never buy an LG again.

Got a free shitty TV with Sky a . Rang them up to cancel, then the missus rang up to get the TV & cheaper package deal. TV is a 32inch & its grand. Clarity ain't there though. Its crap. Was even awful as its brief career as a TV.

It's an LG by the way haha 😄

Size is great. Can't argue with the price.
KennethExack wrote:My kids and I are completely shocked by the specialized secrets that everyone has on this forum
>> Click here for NEW POSTS on subsekt <<

Dialog I The Hole I subsekt Blog I The Bench I IG I SC I Mixes I FB

SCUMM
skaghead

Post by SCUMM »

I have an 4K LG in my sitting room and i love it, works great and the picture and features are excellent for the price I paid for it. Hope i don't jinx it now!

Got rid of Sky myself, complete rip off. Was off work and bored last year with lockdown and managed to change the satellite with my old sky dish. Ended up with 2000+ free channels, majority of them were prayer channels but deleted them and have loads to choose from. Mangaged to salvage a 4TB hard drive from the sky box too haha.

kronk
refusenik

Post by kronk »

ive a mac mini with a 32" AOC monitor (Q3279WG58).
works great @ 2560 x 1440.
monitor was <200e new about 5 yrs ago
im sure the apple pro display runs rings around it but its also 30 times dearer :)

SCUMM
skaghead

Post by SCUMM »

Yeah the apple pro definitely wouldnt be in my budget. Crazy crazy prices! Would much rather spend the money on new gear. How far back is your screen from your monitoring position? Do you find the 32" a little big? Temporarily using a 32" at the moment and find it a little big although I've been using a 13' MB Pro for years so maybe I just need time to get used to it. Apparently 27" is the perfect size for 1440P too as there's better pixel density. Noticed in a lot of cases the 27" versions are more expensive or the same price as 32" models so maybe it's down to that.

kronk
refusenik

Post by kronk »

im used to the 32" now, so find it bang on. it def would take a while to adjust to from a 13" screen
im about 3/4' away from it.
tbh, if i ever needed to change i would go bigger. the more space the better imho

speen
unsure

Post by speen »

My studio and home office share the same space, and my girlfriend recently got a huge wide screen monitor from work that we now, but I actually find it annoying to work with

It's nice and all that you can split ableton into two screens and all but I feel like a cat watching a tennis game on tv moving my head from left to right all the time :lol:

timc3
Back Bling

Post by timc3 »

I have been a huge fan of Dell IPS screens for sometime and I am reasonably picky about screens as I have worked with stuff that needs to be color accurate to a certain degree (though if it needs to be totally color accurate I would buy something else). So now at my office almost everyone has Dell of different sizes. I use Dell 27" 1440p at home, Ultrasharp U2711 which I think the new model is the U2719D. They also have a cheaper variant but it's not the cheapest 27" 1440p option by far. I also have my MacBook Pro screen, and another HP screen as a third monitor because my other two dells are in use at the moment elsewhere.

In the office I have another Dell 27 1440p which I can't remember the model number of, plus a Dell 25" 1440p, and I use my MacBook Pro screen as well. We also have the 24" Ultrasharps dotted around.

The Dells hold up pretty well to being bought used as well, and as they are IPS and well made they can be more expensive than other brands, or even larger screens - but they last for years.

But I am actually going to try out a 34" next I think but maybe not even a Dell.

SCUMM
skaghead

Post by SCUMM »

kronk wrote:
Wed Mar 24, 2021 10:49 am
im used to the 32" now, so find it bang on. it def would take a while to adjust to from a 13" screen
im about 3/4' away from it.
tbh, if i ever needed to change i would go bigger. the more space the better imho
Thats good to know, thanks. Would roughly be the same distance myself from my monitor. Do you find the font and dials in Ableton to be nice and clear on the 32"?.... they look slightly pixelated from my 1080P Which I why Im looking for something with better resolution.

SCUMM
skaghead

Post by SCUMM »

speen wrote:
Wed Mar 24, 2021 11:02 am
My studio and home office share the same space, and my girlfriend recently got a huge wide screen monitor from work that we now, but I actually find it annoying to work with

It's nice and all that you can split ableton into two screens and all but I feel like a cat watching a tennis game on tv moving my head from left to right all the time :lol:
That's one of the things that I'm trying to avoid. I find even with the 32" Im using now that I have to slightly move my head, hence why I'm considering get 27" curved monitor. Wondering though will a curved monitor direct reflections more into my face and screw up listening. I'm probably thinking too much into it :lol:

SCUMM
skaghead

Post by SCUMM »

timc3 wrote:
Wed Mar 24, 2021 11:42 am
I have been a huge fan of Dell IPS screens for sometime and I am reasonably picky about screens as I have worked with stuff that needs to be color accurate to a certain degree (though if it needs to be totally color accurate I would buy something else). So now at my office almost everyone has Dell of different sizes. I use Dell 27" 1440p at home, Ultrasharp U2711 which I think the new model is the U2719D. They also have a cheaper variant but it's not the cheapest 27" 1440p option by far. I also have my MacBook Pro screen, and another HP screen as a third monitor because my other two dells are in use at the moment elsewhere.

In the office I have another Dell 27 1440p which I can't remember the model number of, plus a Dell 25" 1440p, and I use my MacBook Pro screen as well. We also have the 24" Ultrasharps dotted around.

The Dells hold up pretty well to being bought used as well, and as they are IPS and well made they can be more expensive than other brands, or even larger screens - but they last for years.

But I am actually going to try out a 34" next I think but maybe not even a Dell.
Thanks for the reply. Was looking at the Dell's alright but theyre a little bit out of my price range. They seem to have really great reviews though. Colour accuracy wouldnt be a problem either as I'll be using Ableton 90% of the time on it. I think 34" would be overkill for me. I'm no expert but from what I've read too 27" 1440P would give the best pixel density for my Mac mini. Would you happen to know if there would be much of a difference if I opted to go bigger? Am using a 32' 1080P at the moment and find the font and dials in able to be slightly pixelated which I am trying to avoid.

kronk
refusenik

Post by kronk »

SCUMM wrote:
Thu Mar 25, 2021 3:33 pm
Do you find the font and dials in Ableton to be nice and clear on the 32"?.... they look slightly pixelated from my 1080P Which I why Im looking for something with better resolution.
yep, no issues

timc3
Back Bling

Post by timc3 »

27" I find is a good enough pixel density for 1440p. I wouldn't want any larger. 25" is better, but you might find that things are too small.

over9000
Nor Crystal Tears

Post by over9000 »

I would be totally overwhelmed by a big monitor on close range. Mate has one and it makes me tired really quick.
I have an old dell from a website where they sellout old equipment from offices.. 50 bucks..
Totally fine for me tbh as i use it for ableton only

SCUMM
skaghead

Post by SCUMM »

Agree with the last 2 comments. After a lot of research and swapping TV's around the house I found 27" to be just right for my needs. Decided on a 27" QHD Curved monitor. Cheers for the input everyone.